Headlight refurbishment steps DO NOT DELETE

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

mitchelln
Bongolier

Re: Headlight refurbishment steps

Post by mitchelln » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:48 am

I've submitted a fact sheet adding in some more detail and thoughts based on feedback :)
Black Aero City Runner 2L petrol with full side conversion
teenmal
Supreme Being

Re: Headlight refurbishment steps

Post by teenmal » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:57 am

BongoBongo123 wrote:That looks great I have a 21 year old old car as well as the Bongo and do the car each year with T-Cut restorer as you say the clean up it does not last for very long and I have to do it every year at least to keep them clear and keep the pattern ok for the M.O.T. so a nice find. Good share.

IF you can find it...Crystal Disc cd repair fluid will prevent the discolouring from coming back.
Doone
Supreme Being

Re: Headlight refurbishment steps DO NOT DELETE

Post by Doone » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:14 pm

Lovely advice, I'll also add it to the FAQ section. 8)
Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services
bongolow
Bongolier

Post by bongolow » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:31 pm

I've just done mine with the Autoglym kit. Almost identical to the 3M kit and identical results. £24.99 from Halfords but you can get it a bit cheaper on ebay. Yes, a bit daunting at first but very satisfying when you see the results..!

Edit - bloody Photobucket, I'd forgotten I had my avatar on there... :twisted:
mitchelln
Bongolier

Post by mitchelln » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:49 pm

Super =D> There's not many things that give such dramatic results for less than £25!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:26 pm

bongolow wrote:I've just done mine with the Autoglym kit. Almost identical to the 3M kit and identical results. £24.99 from Halfords but you can get it a bit cheaper on ebay. Yes, a bit daunting at first but very satisfying when you see the results..!

Photobucket ate my avatar too. :evil:

RIP Poop the Panda. :(
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:57 pm

bongolow wrote:I've just done mine with the Autoglym kit. Almost identical to the 3M kit and identical results. £24.99 from Halfords but you can get it a bit cheaper on ebay. Yes, a bit daunting at first but very satisfying when you see the results..!

Great to see you posting on here after all this time bongolow - i often wonder who amongst longstanding BF members still has their Bongo :-)

Soneone was i think trying to find your drawings/templates for Bongo cupboards/lockers the other day and found the link from a thread on here no longer worked. Did you ever do a factsheet?
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:57 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:

Great to see you posting on here after all this time bongolow - i often wonder who amongst longstanding BF members still has their Bongo :-)

Soneone was i think trying to find your drawings/templates for Bongo cupboards/lockers the other day and found the link from a thread on here no longer worked. Did you ever do a factsheet?
Id be interested in this as well as I'm looking to make up cupboards over the sink / hob in our side conversion :D
Brian
bongolow
Bongolier

Post by bongolow » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:27 am

I think I've still got the drawings and photos somewhere. They were hosted on my ntlworld webspace but Virgin pulled the plug when they took over. I'll see if I can dig them out and find somewhere to host them. I try to avoid my current webspace for message board links as I'm usually near my bandwidth limit towards the end of the month.
samuel
Bongolier

Post by samuel » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:30 pm

Thanks Mitcelln. Excellent post. I ordered the 3M kit and the results are absolutely brilliant. I now have crystal clear headlight lens.

One of my lens was actually brown and I thought only a replacement lens would be any good. But thankfully your post gave me the courage to go for it. I say that because the first stage of the process turns the lens to white! The 3M instructions are excellent though. I spent quite a bit of time on the final polishing and now have crystal clear lens like yours. In fact they look like new!

My advice to anyone in the same situation is go for it. The result I reckon is great value for money at £21.10 off ebay.

My avatar shows 'Bong' a Mk1 which of course has glass headlights and is still in my ownership after 13 years. We recently purchased a Mk3 'BongTu' which of course has the acrylic lens. So no I haven't done this job on glass!
"Living the Dream"
jimmo62
Bongolier

Post by jimmo62 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:30 am

bongolow wrote:I think I've still got the drawings and photos somewhere. They were hosted on my ntlworld webspace but Virgin pulled the plug when they took over. I'll see if I can dig them out and find somewhere to host them. I try to avoid my current webspace for message board links as I'm usually near my bandwidth limit towards the end of the month.
I've saved a copy (I think they are yours - a 13 page PDF of drawings plus a couple of folders of photos?) so let me know if you can't find them and I can forward....
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:10 pm

jimmo62 wrote:
bongolow wrote:I think I've still got the drawings and photos somewhere. They were hosted on my ntlworld webspace but Virgin pulled the plug when they took over. I'll see if I can dig them out and find somewhere to host them. I try to avoid my current webspace for message board links as I'm usually near my bandwidth limit towards the end of the month.
I've saved a copy (I think they are yours - a 13 page PDF of drawings plus a couple of folders of photos?) so let me know if you can't find them and I can forward....
Brill. Would be great to post them to Ian at Bongo Fury for putting in the members area :-) And thanks again to Bongolow for doing them all those years back =D>
mitchelln
Bongolier

Post by mitchelln » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:07 pm

samuel wrote:Thanks Mitchelln. Excellent post. I ordered the 3M kit and the results are absolutely brilliant. I now have crystal clear headlight lens.

One of my lens was actually brown and I thought only a replacement lens would be any good. But thankfully your post gave me the courage to go for it. I say that because the first stage of the process turns the lens to white! The 3M instructions are excellent though. I spent quite a bit of time on the final polishing and now have crystal clear lens like yours. In fact they look like new!

My advice to anyone in the same situation is go for it. The result I reckon is great value for money at £21.10 off ebay.

My avatar shows 'Bong' a Mk1 which of course has glass headlights and is still in my ownership after 13 years. We recently purchased a Mk3 'BongTu' which of course has the acrylic lens. So no I haven't done this job on glass!
Great! Glad it worked for you too :) It's like magic isn't it once you get past the "OMG" stage.
samuel
Bongolier

Post by samuel » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:00 pm

I can't describe how happy I am with the headlights. I keep going out to have a look!!!

Thank you my friend for sharing
"Living the Dream"
mitchelln
Bongolier

Post by mitchelln » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:24 pm

I'm just glad there's more Bongos out there with factory fresh looking lights :) The yellow lights grieved me.

Return to “Techie Stuff”