Rear Heater Supply Pipe

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

sloppy7
Bongonaut

Rear Heater Supply Pipe

Post by sloppy7 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:53 am

Well...first post, been a paid up member and Bongo owner for nearly a year and I have to say thankyou first and foremost. The search function is a wonderful tool, I've learnt so much about my Bongo but now comes the time I need to extract a little more information from you guys!

My problem: corrosion around the T-section of the rear heater supply pipe. Long story but noticed a wet patch on the drive, checked coolant level and that had dropped, topped up with water and ran the engine whilst checking and spotted mist from the T-section. Immediately switched off engine and tried to clean up the area which lead to springing the leak. I've removed both hoses from the pipe and removing one effectively snapped the end of the pipe off so being pragmatic about it it was a good thing it all got spotted. (I have a TM4 fitted and have never gone above 92 degrees so I'm hoping that I've been pretty lucky)

My questions: I have seen some fixes that don't involve a whole pipe replacement using plumbing parts, for those that have done this (a) how are they holding up? (b) Did you consider an elbow modification rather than a T-Piece, blanking off the return as well? (c) If you only used this as a temporary fix- how long/how many miles for?

Thanks in advance.

Leigh
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Rear Heater Supply Pipe

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:18 pm

i did the plumbing fix and it was only to get by as were on anglesey on a sunday and needed the bongo running for monday. #-o #-o #-o . the bongo needed a new pipe and more by the time i had finished.
peeps have done the t piece by pass with some success, this removes the rear heater from the loop.

if you search for remove and rear and heater, the AND is important, as it searches for the separate words rather than the phrase.

the best long term fix is a new pipe im afraid.

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... =3&t=58378
sloppy7
Bongonaut

Post by sloppy7 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:20 am

Thank you. You are absolutely correct I need to cancel my weekend away in two weeks and put the Bongo first!

I think while I have lost the coolant it would be sensible to change the stat, pump, tank/rad caps as well and give the whole system a good flush. I know the water pump was changed 3 years(ish) ago as I still see the previous owner but for £40 it seems silly not to change it at the same time.

Thanks again.

Leigh
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:48 pm

These pipes corrode from the inside out mainly around the fixing brackets and tee sections. These brackets and tee`s are brazed and the dissimilar metals probably contributes to the failure.
There is no reason why you cannot replace the pipe work with heater hose and nylon tee`s ( not sure about using plumbing stuff).
Cut the pipe and make sure you have a good stub left for the hose to fit over. You can piggy back the hose to the old pipework using cable ties. Cut a sleeve of larger diameter hose where the replacement hose passes close to metal work to avoid chaffing.
Hers a link to a supplier we use for odd bits and bobs,
https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/ ... d-elbows-2
Here is one I did earlier :D
In this case the whole of the metal pipe was replaced and secured from the old pipe fixings using loops.
https://goo.gl/photos/QqnPqy7gJy3BF6Bb6
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:34 pm

that looks a nice repair mate, i note the NO use of jubilee clips, always use the correct clips. :wink:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:34 am

sloppy7 wrote:Thank you. You are absolutely correct I need to cancel my weekend away in two weeks and put the Bongo first!

I think while I have lost the coolant it would be sensible to change the stat, pump, tank/rad caps as well and give the whole system a good flush. I know the water pump was changed 3 years(ish) ago as I still see the previous owner but for £40 it seems silly not to change it at the same time.

Thanks again.

Leigh
I had my rear heater pipe give out with corrosion a couple of years ago. Adrian my mechanic at Japandirect often tee pieces them for customers and it makes a good repair as Bongolia says/does. But I fancied sticking to original so he put in a whole new pipe for me. Its a bit of a tricky job threading it past everything to get it into place and I suspect having a lifting platform (as he has) makes it hugely more doable, but pipe and labour make it a significantly more expensive option than the tee piece repair.

Agree that whilst the system is drained it's worth considering what else might go before long and invest in some preventative investment if budget allows. I think old radiators are a suspect item, both in terms of efficiency and springing a leak (which many 20 year old Bongo ones do)
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:16 am

Northern Bongolow wrote:that looks a nice repair mate, i note the NO use of jubilee clips, always use the correct clips. :wink:
Ta.
The problem with Jubillee`s is nobody torques them up correctly having said that constant pressure clips are preferably on plastic spigots.
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:08 am

Hello all
I've been loo,I got at this tread with interest , I've just completed a full coolant system service / renewal on the bus , I'm not saying for you to do everything but it might be worth a read as it has very good solid advice from the members on here

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... nt+service
sloppy7
Bongonaut

Post by sloppy7 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:25 pm

Thanks for all the hints and linked threads which I may have read but will swot up on later! I've ordered the pipe, a new stat, waterpump and coolant. The biggest hassle is the clips. £11 each is hard to swallow so have been researching alternative constant tension bands rather a lot!!
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:30 pm

scrap yard mate, they are on every jap car in there. 8) .
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:19 pm

I used these affordable constant tension worm drive clips, available for all but the smallest hoses in the cooling system.
https://www.hcl-clamping.co.uk/33-worm- ... ion-s-band
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:08 pm

I used the Norma clamps from Haydn low coolant alarms

http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk/shop/index.php
It's his daughter that runs it now I understand , she was very helpful and supplied all the clamps for my project !
Tell her Brian firm ireland sent you :D
Brian
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:32 pm

Bongolia wrote:
Northern Bongolow wrote:that looks a nice repair mate, i note the NO use of jubilee clips, always use the correct clips. :wink:
Ta.
The problem with Jubillee`s is nobody torques them up correctly having said that constant pressure clips are preferably on plastic spigots.
Probably Best to keep the Armatures away from the real " Jubilee Clips" they tend to give them a Bad Name.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:01 pm

cmm303 wrote:I used these affordable constant tension worm drive clips, available for all but the smallest hoses in the cooling system.
Those look very similar to the Norma clamps at a much better price?? Nice one!
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:13 pm

haydn callow wrote:
cmm303 wrote:I used these affordable constant tension worm drive clips, available for all but the smallest hoses in the cooling system.
Those look very similar to the Norma clamps at a much better price?? Nice one!
Haydn, I felt bad buying them after a long discussion with Jo about importing Norma clips from Oz. I couldn't justify the cost, and the uncertainty of the tax man slapping import duty on them. I eased my guilt by getting back to Jo and thanking her for her time.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD

Return to “Techie Stuff”