Gear selector indicator

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Markas
Bongolier

Gear selector indicator

Post by Markas » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:31 pm

Having done a search I know this topic has been covered before, but some of the 'how to' links are returning 404 errors and the only other one is in garbled 'google translate' English from the Japanese original.
Can someone please explain how to access the underside of the gear lever surround to fit a new gear indicator strip. I have the strip all ready to go in, but would prefer to see how it's done before dismantling it. The online parts book diagram is useful but am I right in thinking the selector lever needs to be removed to give sufficient access?
Many thanks,
Mark
Mark
1999 Bongo 2.0L, Northstar Outback rear conversion
Roy748
Bongolier

Re: Gear selector indicator

Post by Roy748 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:16 pm

Hello.
Not sure if this will help but I recently changed my rocker box gasket which required me to remove the gear selector to gain access. The selector has 3 bolt connecting it to the engine cover. Two which can be seen at the base of the selector, once seats have been flipped back giving access and one further bolt at the front of the selector half way down, a little difficult to see but it's there. I believe from memory they are 14mm. You can get better access to the front bolt by removing a plastic panel in the foot well. Don't forget to disconnect the electrical plug located near the two bolts in the Base.
Hope that helps.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:09 pm

Roy748 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:16 pm Hello.
Not sure if this will help but I recently changed my rocker box gasket which required me to remove the gear selector to gain access. The selector has 3 bolt connecting it to the engine cover. Two which can be seen at the base of the selector, once seats have been flipped back giving access and one further bolt at the front of the selector half way down, a little difficult to see but it's there. I believe from memory they are 14mm. You can get better access to the front bolt by removing a plastic panel in the foot well. Don't forget to disconnect the electrical plug located near the two bolts in the Base.
Hope that helps.
V helpful. =D>
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:32 pm

Your welcome.
Doone
Supreme Being

Re: Gear selector indicator strip

Post by Doone » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:24 pm

These are the 3 ways I've seen described, for changing the gear selector strip:
1. "Take out the center console and undo the 2 screw in the front side of the selector. Then you can lift it, but don't have to remove it completely. There's a button and a spring, they may try to escape. There are 4 metal push-in clips (on the side, see photo). They hold the selector strip cover on. Push them with a flat-blade screwdriver to release them. Lift the cover you can see the strip underneath."

2. "Remove the centre console, unclip the gear surrounding, and turn it 90 degrees. You can slide out the old strip and slide in the new one. It can be fiddly to slide it under the clips. The strip slides into locating grooves.

3. "The gearknob is held on by screws. Undo them. Theres a plastic cover over the selector strip. Lift it so you can get underneath, to remove the old strip. It often breaks into pieces; get them all out. The strip fits into locator grooves. Slide the new one in to these, from front to back.

(Updated to make instructions clearer.)
Attachments
FB_IMG_1624869437578.jpg
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
Markas
Bongolier

Post by Markas » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:13 pm

Holy thread revival Batman!! I'd forgotten I started this thread.
In the end I was able to get the broken bits of selector strip out and feed the new one in without removing the selector surround at all. It was a bit fiddly but once I'd figured out that it is held by retaining tracks and there are raised stops at each end it was all very doable :D
Mark
1999 Bongo 2.0L, Northstar Outback rear conversion

Return to “Techie Stuff”