V6 starting troubles

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

AeroNut
Bongolier

V6 starting troubles

Post by AeroNut » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:28 pm

Hi,
After the euforia of almost getting my Bongo back... i made what i thought would be my last trip to the garage where it was being rebuilt to ask when...

They can't get it to run...!
It's a V6.. timing belt snapped and damaged heads.. i got refurbed ones.. and all genuine replacement parts necessary....

They have.. put new fuel in it
They've replaced the battery
They have... fuel, spark. They assure me the timing is correct...
it has good compression on all 6 pots...
It has an immobiliser on it. In fact it has two.. but it sparks so it's not that...
Can anyone else think of anything i/we may of missed...?
I have the manuals for this and i am going that way tonight to offer these as a bit of light reading...
Any ideas...
Hoping someone can help
Regards
Terry D
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: V6 starting troubles

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:55 pm

Somewhere in here is a thread about a v6 that an experienced Bongo garage took months to track down the non starting fault in. Would be worth searching old threads and reading up on how they fixed it, in case it's relevant. From poor memory it was a year or two ago. Good luck and keep us posted.
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:09 pm

Two immobilisers
Don't like immobilisers when problem finding full stop
Don't some immobilisers work by the fuel cut off
Do you have fuel
I'd get rid of the immobilisers unless you know there deffo working
Then start again
Good luck
Keep asking on here loads will help :D
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:33 pm

I was looking for the post of the none starting V6 with the rebuilt engine that defied every ones suggestions until it came to light the four cam pulleys had go mixed up throwing the timing out ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:05 pm

When you say that you fitted refurbished heads did you fit NEW Hydraulic Lash Adjusters ? or did they swap the HLAs from the old heads.

Good Luck.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:11 pm

Aeronut any news?
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:17 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:Somewhere in here is a thread about a v6 that an experienced Bongo garage took months to track down the non starting fault in. Would be worth searching old threads and reading up on how they fixed it, in case it's relevant. From poor memory it was a year or two ago. Good luck and keep us posted.
There was one I took a look at for a fellow member a couple of years back who's van wouldn't start after a cambelt change. It had the added complication of a not very well installed LPG conversion. The problem was eventually traced to some wiring which had become brittle and fractured with the heat. It was probably fine 'till the garage disturbed it during the cambelt change.

Presumably, the injectors are actually firing and getting fuel into the cylinders? The other one to check is that all the HT leads are back in the correct order. Has is got LPG conversion? That will isolate the petrol injectors when gas ones are in use, so a disconnected LPG ECU will leave all the petrol injectors disabled.

Return to “Techie Stuff”