Drivers door won't unlock

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Lucybod
Junior Bongonaut

Drivers door won't unlock

Post by Lucybod » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:43 am

The driver's door won't unlock and we can't lift the little lever thingy up. All the other doors work ok. The central locking never worked from when we got our bongo. How can you take the panel off if you can't get to one of the top screws . Any advice or ideas please as MOT is next month :shock:

All happening at once as yesterday the indicator light went mad, checked the bulbs all ok, we have ordered a flasher controller.
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Drivers door won't unlock

Post by Bob » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:22 pm

Might be worth opening the window and jiggling the key and the little button together. [-o<

I fancy you will need the door open to get the card off, but someone may have more advice.

Roughly where are you?
Lucybod
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Lucybod » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:41 pm

Gravesend. He has taken the passenger card off to see how it works. It's impossible to take the top screw off as it's hard against the front panel .
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:11 pm

Good idea, now you can see the workings you might be able to open the other door by sliding a bent coat hanger or bit of plastic inside to operate the mechanism. [-o<
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:12 pm

sounds like the central locking that has never worked may have started working, probably the wiring loom to the front door to the body has a broken wire, this is common. this broken wire or shorted wire is powering the close side of the solenoid. try taking the battery terminals off then open the door with the key only, failing that, it may be that you have to force the door card to get in to force the lock open.

http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html
Lucybod
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Lucybod » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:32 am

Thank you for your idea, we have tried it and no luck. We think it must be mechanical. We are going to make a hole in the door using the info from the other door and put a hand in and have a feel around to see if we can open it. When you turn the key the lever inside moves a bit but won't move all the way.
Lucybod
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Lucybod » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:31 pm

Nothing opens it at the moment but Is it possible that the central locking can hold the door locked with the battery disconnected. It makes a difference to what we try next.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:34 pm

Long shot, but it is the right key?

Some locks have been replaced over the years, obviously not if you've only ever had one key. :wink:
Lucybod
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Lucybod » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:45 pm

Key used to open it, :( Opens all the other doors
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:50 pm

Not being rude
But from outside slam it
I slam my bum into my van door when it messes about
sometimes if there not shut completely the Lock is jam end on the hook/post
Worth ago :D
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:17 am

Lucybod wrote:Nothing opens it at the moment but Is it possible that the central locking can hold the door locked with the battery disconnected. It makes a difference to what we try next.
geoff may know different as hes the sparky round here but i would say yes, there may be a permenant live in the door loom, if this is powering another wire in a broken loom situation it could be acting as a central locking close signal.shouldnt be live with no battery on though, unless its got a leisure battery fitted too.
try getting into the drivers door footwell via another door. get behind the kick panel on the right hand side, this removes, but maybe hard with the door shut but remove it then find the door loom as it goes through the side of the body and gently push pull it, it may just unlock the door. (i would pay good money to see this being done). #-o :lol: :lol: :lol:
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:01 am

I doubt that the door is being held locked by electricity, the mechanism is most likely jammed. The solenoids are quite hefty and draw quite a bit of current when operating they would most likely fail if kept operated for any length of time, they normally have there own limit switching built in to disconnect when fully operated.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Lucybod
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Lucybod » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:12 am

Thank you for your reply. Husband made a hole in the card I fiddled around, as my hands are smaller and I've got more patience :D I managed to get the door open. But when we put the key in it jammed again. So it's something to do with the key. At least now we can take off the card and have a better look. One step forward but not solved.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:32 am

Well done. :)
Lucybod
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Lucybod » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:24 pm

We are still struggling with the door. Now the windows don't work! Both windows affected. Fuse is ok

Return to “Techie Stuff”