Noise from belts or bottom pulley

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Noise from belts or bottom pulley

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:36 pm

if its a gen alternator then its usually in line if the tensioner is fitted right, the bush thing usually is when an aftermarket one is fitted that has maybe not got the correct spacer fitted in the right place, or its missing etc. i would go with your hunch and swap the belts. go for a good make as ive lost count of the number of times ive fitted then swapped new(ish belts) that are supposed to be the same size.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:30 am

Thanks NB. I believe the alternator to be original. (Hitachi)
I'll give another pair of belts a go :( - must be a wuss - last time couldn't get them round the bottom pulley from the top - ended up taking the under cover off and attacking from below.

Been thinking. This problem started after I did the cooling system, new pump and exhaust manifold last year. So I have backtracked over the photos.

Alternator with bush and bolt
http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/Chris ... b.jpg.html

I didn't remove the tensioning bracket itself during the work. Here it is during reassembly.
The new belts in pic had been hanging around in somebody else's spares box for n years so I replaced these with the newly purchased matched (not!!) pair this spring.
http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/Chris ... y.jpg.html

Can't believe how valuable the photo story is, even a year plus on!
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:12 am

cmm303 wrote:Grrrr! This still haunts me! Fortunately Bongo hasn't had to do many miles this year.

I was directed to check that it's all in line by a few peeps. I didn't understand how the pulleys could be out of line until NB pointed out that there is a bush in one of the mounting lugs on the alternator that can be put in the wrong way. It is in the lug to the rear of the alternator and the front lug is tight against the face of the bracket. I.e. the alternator is as far towards the rear that the front bracket allows. There are no washers or other spacers apart from this one bush.

With the alternator out, I can see that the bush can only go in the rear lug. The bush has a flange at one end and on mine this is facing forwards. Logically this feels right to me but can anybody confirm?

The alternator page in lush projects does not show the mounting arrangement and I have run out of steam trying to find it on another page.

The engine hasn't been turned for a while and the belts have left contact marks on the pulley. The mark is shorter on one groove. Could my problems be down to mismatched belts? They were bought as a matched pair but when I put them on I noticed they weren't identical lengths and assumed that it must be good enough because the supplier (not Fury) is a major Bongo bits supplier. Maybe replace the belts, again?!!!!

Thanks
Chris

Chris,you need to check the profile of the pulley grooves , the pulleys wear as do the belts,it does look like you have a mismatch.

Good Luck.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:06 am

rita wrote: Chris,you need to check the profile of the pulley grooves , the pulleys wear as do the belts,it does look like you have a mismatch.

Good Luck.
Rita, excuse my dumb questions but
How?
What am I looking for?

Sounds like something that needs to be done "on the bench" rather than in situ. I'm quite practiced at removing the alternator and pump pulley. :D But as yet haven't acquired the heavy gear and mastered the bottom pulley so not a trivial step for this amateur!
Chris with BertieB
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:33 pm

Just as you mentioned,

"The engine hasn't been turned for a while and the belts have left contact marks on the pulley. The mark is shorter on one groove."
It is possible that the belt/s have worn the pulley grooves more on one than the other.
Also check the alignment of the alt,this should be adjustable .

Good Luck.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:50 pm

and hopefully you have removed that new jubilee clip, if not it will leak there on that metal stub. :wink:
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:26 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote:and hopefully you have removed that new jubilee clip, if not it will leak there on that metal stub. :wink:

If it is not leaking NOW why should it leak,is it not fitted properly :?

Good Luck
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:20 am

Northern Bongolow wrote:and hopefully you have removed that new jubilee clip, if not it will leak there on that metal stub. :wink:
well Mr NB, no ordinary jubilee clip, fairly sure it was a constant tension thingy. :lol:
I confess that there are 2 gen jubilee clips somewhere on Bongo because I couldn't get affordable constant tension ones in the right size. Can't remember which hose now!!

Let jubilee clip wars commence.... 8) :shock: :wink:
Chris with BertieB
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:59 am

cmm303 wrote:
well Mr NB, no ordinary jubilee clip, fairly sure it was a constant tension thingy. :lol:
I confess that there are 2 gen jubilee clips somewhere on Bongo because I couldn't get affordable constant tension ones in the right size. Can't remember which hose now!!

Let jubilee clip wars commence.... 8) :shock: :wink:

I think you can see Four in your engine photo. :lol:

Good Luck.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:39 pm

Hard to tell constant tension worm drive from standard jubilee once they are on, especially on small clips. Maybe it was 4 jubilees ....

Somebody is so going to zoom in to check me out. :oops:
Chris with BertieB
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:05 pm

rita wrote:

If it is not leaking NOW why should it leak,is it not fitted properly :?

Good Luck
the main large one fitted to the metal stub shown (if its not one of the ones fitted with the expansion internal band) will always appear to be loose, this is because the hose is fastened to the metal stub on the head, this stub gets really hot and expands, this either crushes the rubber pipe or expands a fixed diameter clip as it does so, when it then cools and contracts the fixed clip or damaged hose cannot come back to original size, so after repeated cycles will leak, to test this theory try tightening the clip, you will possibly get one full turn on the standard jubilee clip until its tight again, repeat repeat until the clip breaks or the hose leaks. [plastic stubs like on the heater pipes fare better but best are the proper expansion clips fitted from new.

i know a bongo owner who had problems for years when he bought it, original head went, replaced by good bongo mechanics, then 2 further heads failed,replaced by 2 different bongo garages all of who did not fix the fault. after replacing all the slowly acquired jubilee clips and most of the rubber hoses with gen mazda clips and hoses the bongo has been fine for the last 5 years. as some of you who know me well i fix a few, the first thing i do is pressure test the system, most leak on old repairs where clips have been replaced or doubled up to try to fix the problem leaky pipe, some have underlying issues that cause the leak like blocked front rads, fault old or lazy stat etc.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:38 am

These are the clips/clamps that we use on various vehicles, no problems whatsoever,often peeps over tighten or fit remoulded saggy hoses etc etc,but these clips used properly are excellent.As you can see this Company has been in production for a wee while and I think they know what they are about.If you find them for sale in Poundland give me a shout.

Jubilee® clips are used in many applications where dependability is paramount. Other users include the armed forces, aerospace and automotive industries and Formula 1. (All with very expensive Engines)

http://www.jubileeclips.co.uk/

Take care
Good Luck.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:31 pm

i will maybe accept that the gen jubilee brand clips may be better made than the poundland cheaper nasty ones that are out there.

Return to “Techie Stuff”