Bedroom internal flap strut replacement

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Bongo Boots
Apprentice Bongonaut

Bedroom internal flap strut replacement

Post by Bongo Boots » Sun May 07, 2017 10:56 am

I have bought two new struts that hold up the bedroom roof flap but I can't work out how to get the old ones off.

These are the small gas struts holding up the internal roof flap and not the main roof struts themselves.

They look like they just pop out sideways with a good knock with a hammer. There don't appear to be any clips locking the ends in place (there are a couple of wire clips on the replacements).

Any ideas?
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Re: Bedroom internal flap strut replacement

Post by the1andonly » Sun May 07, 2017 8:50 pm

Mine bolted to the floor of the roof and screwed into the Side of the inner roof platform.
I did not open the ball joint.
Bongo Boots
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Bongo Boots » Wed May 10, 2017 7:56 pm

the1andonly wrote:Mine bolted to the floor of the roof and screwed into the Side of the inner roof platform.
I did not open the ball joint.
Thanks for the reply. I ordered two new struts that didn't come with the brackets attached.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Thu May 11, 2017 6:19 am

Different struts, but for info, the replacement struts for my roof had ball joints that could be easily split by withdrawing a wire retaining clip. The originals had no such retaining and would have been a different matter to split. So the different halves of the ball joint may not interchangeable.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
MonkeyBongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by MonkeyBongo » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:10 pm

Hi people, first post here. I've been reading for long time but I always found an answer... Except now.

I have the same problem. I bought a new strut from SGS that says that is compatible with the inner roof strout but doesn't come with the bolts.

I'm struggling to get the strout out. Even if I could remove the lower one the higher one would be quite tricky as I can't see how it is attached to the roof/bed.

Bolt joins doesn't seem to have any kind of clip or wire. New ones seems pretty easy to install but I have to remove old ones first!

Mine is a Ford Freda 1995. Any help would be appreciated.

Return to “Techie Stuff”