2.0 petrol stalling when idling or braking

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

tiffer
Junior Bongonaut

2.0 petrol stalling when idling or braking

Post by tiffer » Wed May 03, 2017 8:20 am

Hi all
I 'm sure this has been covered many times but I can only find posts relating to diesel engines with this problem.

I have been having an ongoing issue for a couple of years, with varying intensity. Engine starts fine every time and idles at about 750, when I drive and slow down by braking or if i'm just cruising to a stop the revs drop to well below 500 and from time to time they drop off completely causing the engine to stall. I have replaced oil, air and fuel filter and thoroughly cleaned the fuel filler cap, but it continues to happen. Some days it's not so bad but other days I find it is dropping very low all the time.
It's also worth mentioning that it idles quite roughly too and that I get a big intake of air when I remove the fuel cap (even though it has been cleaned).

Any ideas??
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: 2.0 petrol stalling when idling or braking

Post by Bob » Wed May 03, 2017 9:07 am

When you've got half a tank, or less, I'd try running with the cap off.

If that solves it the vent hole is blocked. If you can't find/clean said vent a new cap isn't dear. :wink:
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Wed May 03, 2017 9:35 am

tiffer wrote:Hi all
I 'm sure this has been covered many times but I can only find posts relating to diesel engines with this problem.

I have been having an ongoing issue for a couple of years, with varying intensity. Engine starts fine every time and idles at about 750, when I drive and slow down by braking or if i'm just cruising to a stop the revs drop to well below 500 and from time to time they drop off completely causing the engine to stall. I have replaced oil, air and fuel filter and thoroughly cleaned the fuel filler cap, but it continues to happen. Some days it's not so bad but other days I find it is dropping very low all the time.
It's also worth mentioning that it idles quite roughly too and that I get a big intake of air when I remove the fuel cap (even though it has been cleaned).

Any ideas??
tRY bOBS SUGGESTION FIRST AND IF THAT DOESNT HELP THEN GET BACK HERE AND WE CAN GO INTO IT IN A BIT MORE DETAIL.
Sorry about the caps lock cant be typing that in again! :D
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed May 03, 2017 9:37 am

nEVER mIND. :lol:
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Wed May 03, 2017 10:17 am

A couple of questions that may point us in the right direction.
With the engine at working temperature and idling in P or N switch the air con on and note if the revs drop and then recover.
What was the RPM before you switched on the A/C and what did it recover to if at all.
You say the engine idles roughly , if you increase the rpm to 850 using the throttle pedal does the roughness go away.

The diagnostic socket can be in one of two places or a both. the older type is located behind the glove box and the later ,like in the image, maybe located around the drivers foot well area

What diagnostic socket do you have is it like this ?
https://goo.gl/photos/juZMccxc3wkANiwKA

What distributor do you have is it like this?
https://goo.gl/photos/S4UsrJhYznSSiKaJA
tiffer
Junior Bongonaut

Post by tiffer » Thu May 04, 2017 3:17 pm

I haven't managed to try the A/C revs test yet, but hopefully will later tonight.

Driving with the petrol cap off doesn't seem to make any difference.
My distributor looks like this

and my diagnostic socket is just beneath the glovebox and looks like this

Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Thu May 04, 2017 4:23 pm

Ok post up the result of that ac check when you get a chance.
tiffer
Junior Bongonaut

Post by tiffer » Thu May 04, 2017 9:24 pm

I took the van for a run and then stopped and checked.
Idle speed in P was around 750 RPM as usual, and it was pretty steady (probably having had a good run). I checked putting A/C on and the revs didn't drop at all. I also tried to up the revs to 850 but as gentle as I could be, the revs jump straight up to well over 1000 RPM, however the engine does run more smoothly when the throttle is applied.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri May 05, 2017 3:33 am

where all that oil comin from, is it the dizzy shaft.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Fri May 05, 2017 6:26 am

tiffer wrote:I took the van for a run and then stopped and checked.
Idle speed in P was around 750 RPM as usual, and it was pretty steady (probably having had a good run). I checked putting A/C on and the revs didn't drop at all. I also tried to up the revs to 850 but as gentle as I could be, the revs jump straight up to well over 1000 RPM, however the engine does run more smoothly when the throttle is applied.
In a way that is a bit of a disappointing result. :(
When the engine is presented with an additional load the idle should automatically increase to compensate for that load so you would expect to see a momentary drop in RPM and then it rise again to a stable idle.
So we need to prove whether the idle speed control system is working properly or not first.
In a nutshell load the engine up with as as much as you can as fast as you can with the engine in a warm but not at normal running temp this when the ISC would be taxed the most. An octopus may be useful here. :)
If you can try it again this time do it with engine partially warm and put it into drive whilst putting everything on headlights, rear screen, AC on full cold rear and front blowers etc and watch the rev counter to see the effect.
Ignore the rough idle and the jump in rpm when you try and raise the revs for now.
tiffer
Junior Bongonaut

Post by tiffer » Fri May 05, 2017 6:27 am

pretty sure it needs a new rocker gasket, coming from there i think
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Fri May 05, 2017 11:15 am

tiffer wrote:I took the van for a run and then stopped and checked.

Hi tiffer, do you know for sure that the Air Con is actually working as it should IE the compressor is engaging.? If not there will be No drop in RPM when the AC is switched on.

Good Luck.
tiffer
Junior Bongonaut

Post by tiffer » Sat May 06, 2017 2:45 pm

Hi Rita

No i'm not sure the A/C is working, How do I check?
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sat May 06, 2017 3:01 pm

tiffer wrote:Hi Rita

The easiest way is to switch AC on and check if the radiator fan is operating, if its working you could also check that your are getting really cold air from the blower when the controls are set to Cold.

Good Luck.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Sat May 06, 2017 4:38 pm

tiffer wrote:Hi Rita

In fact any engine load would do the heavier the better. I believe the ECU is sensitive to AC switching though but whatever you can do to load the engine at this time.

Return to “Techie Stuff”