Bongo keeps going flat!!!!!!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

gibbsy1969
Apprentice Bongonaut

Bongo keeps going flat!!!!!!

Post by gibbsy1969 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:56 pm

Hi All,

First of all its a Ford Freda 2.5 Diesel 1996. My problem started about a month ago on a drive. I had on the radio, headlights and heater so quite a draw on the alternator. As time went on the radio went quiet it hadnt switched off just no sound was coming out, i worked out if i turned off the heater and turned the lights down to just the side lights the sound came back on. Just before getting home if i turned on the indicators the sound on the radio went on and off in time with the indicator flashing. This only happened if i was idling up to traffic lights if i was accelerating all was well.
So having some mechanical knowledge i changed the alternator. All has been well for about 3/4 weeks bearing in mind it doesnt get much use as a second car. Also the battery is less than 6 months old.
My problem is its started to have the exact same symptoms again. The only other weird thing that is happening is it has a coolant alarm fitted and when it has this problem of going flat the alarm sounds on start up and lasts for about a minute, but when i changed the alternator it never sounded. Which i feel is a bit strange.

Any help will be much appreciated as i only bought this late last year and havent used it to camp any where yet and its losing its charm already.

Thanks
Dave
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Bongo keeps going flat!!!!!!

Post by g8dhe » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:09 pm

Might be worth checking that the alternator is actually charging the battery itself. Put a volt meter across the battery with the engine OFF it should ideally be around 12.6volts, but if its flat then it could be down to 11.00 or even less. Now turn on the engine, you would expect the voltage to rise to close on 14.00 volts with a few rev's and a maximum of around 14.4volts, if its less than 14 volts then it could be a charging problem or a faulty alternator (again, it has been known!) I would check the chassis connection to the -ve terminal and the +ve feed from the alternator via the fuses to make sure you don't have a connection problem.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:20 pm

I had a new alternator fitted and it blew within a week. My garage was suspicious my power requirements might be causing it so fitted a 2nd hand one temporarily to see what happened. It didn't blow so meanwhile they sorted a replacement under guarantee while the faulty one was tested. New replacment fitted and been fine ever since. New ones can be duff! But, as Geoff says, a series of diagnostic tests are required to eliminate this and that.
gibbsy1969
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by gibbsy1969 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:28 am

Hi

Thanks guys for the much needed info, luckily a guy across the road has lent me a volt meter so if the rain stays away it looks like i have a busy day ahead of me. My concern is that the problem i have could of damaged the new alternator is this possible?

Dave
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:05 am

gibbsy1969 wrote:Hi All,

First of all its a Ford Freda 2.5 Diesel 1996. My problem started about a month ago on a drive. I had on the radio, headlights and heater so quite a draw on the alternator. As time went on the radio went quiet it hadnt switched off just no sound was coming out, i worked out if i turned off the heater and turned the lights down to just the side lights the sound came back on. Just before getting home if i turned on the indicators the sound on the radio went on and off in time with the indicator flashing. This only happened if i was idling up to traffic lights if i was accelerating all was well.
So having some mechanical knowledge i changed the alternator. All has been well for about 3/4 weeks bearing in mind it doesnt get much use as a second car. Also the battery is less than 6 months old.
My problem is its started to have the exact same symptoms again. The only other weird thing that is happening is it has a coolant alarm fitted and when it has this problem of going flat the alarm sounds on start up and lasts for about a minute, but when i changed the alternator it never sounded. Which i feel is a bit strange.

Any help will be much appreciated as i only bought this late last year and havent used it to camp any where yet and its losing its charm already.

Thanks
Dave
Hi Dave
I am a bit confused here #-o
Are you saying your starter battery goes flat?
Or is the problem just the radio and the coolant alarm peculiarities?

You can damage a new alternator if the battery where dead flat and you were loading it up with lights on etc while recharging the battery but it is unlikely. If you do have a fault on the alternator likely it was there from the unboxing.
gibbsy1969
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by gibbsy1969 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:23 pm

Hi

Sorry for the confusion yes the starter battery goes flat while driving and the tell tale signs of this are the symptons i have described in my first post.I have now put a meter on the battery and fully charged it was showing just over 12 volts after starting it dropped to 11.70 volts. Even with the engine running the voltage on the meter doesnt move. Alternator knackered im guessing?
Looking a little more into the coolant alarm mine doesnt beep and flash once on start up like they are supposed to do. Mine has a constant beep for about a minute then goes off with the odd intermittant beep for a further 2 minutes so im going to disconnect it and see what happens

Dave
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:21 pm

Well if the cabling is OK ,grounds etc then it would suggest alternator.
Wonder why you are not seeing a generator light up though.
Anyone?
gibbsy1969
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by gibbsy1969 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:42 pm

Hi

Duh!!!!! my fault yes it has the charge light lit up on the dash but again a strange thing it wasnt on before i went and changed the alternator but thought maybe the light was faulty as all the symptoms were telling me its a faulty alternator.
I think if it stops raining my plan of action is to get the alternator off and replaced this week and fingers crossed it was just a faulty unit.

Thanks for all your help today.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:44 pm

gibbsy1969 wrote:Hi

Duh!!!!! my fault yes it has the charge light lit up on the dash but again a strange thing it wasnt on before i went and changed the alternator but thought maybe the light was faulty as all the symptoms were telling me its a faulty alternator.
I think if it stops raining my plan of action is to get the alternator off and replaced this week and fingers crossed it was just a faulty unit.

Thanks for all your help today.
Sounds like a plan, hope that sorts the problem.
Good luck and let us know if it fixes it.
Useful for others to know.
Hope the rain holds off :)
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:52 pm

make sure the alternator you fit is up the job, the originals were 90 amp units, a few of the replacement ones available are only 80 amp rated, so said they usually last about a year before failing.
Darkstar
Bongolier

Post by Darkstar » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:12 am

Bongolia wrote:Well if the cabling is OK ,grounds etc then it would suggest alternator.
Wonder why you are not seeing a generator light up though.
Anyone?
I didn't have any warning when my alternator went, No dim charge light or anything, except flat battery. Did the engine off/running test and indications were low charge from alternator.
Got a Bongo for the Wife, Best trade-in ever
gibbsy1969
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by gibbsy1969 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:10 pm

Hi All

I sent my alternator which is a 90Amp unit back to the shop i purchased it from for testing. Apparently the rectifier has gone and i was asked if i had jump started the van.Im not a complete expert when it comes to electrics on a car so i dont know why i was asked this. Any ideas?
Im a little concerned that there is an underlying problem still on the van which is going to damage the new alternator as it only lasted 4 weeks or was it just a faulty unit that was supplied.
Again all your help has been invaluble and very much appreciated.

Dave
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:55 pm

Probably a faulty unit, I can't think of a fault on the Bongo which would cause the alternator to fail.

Thankfully its fairly simple to fit and I'm guessing the replacement will still have some warranty so I'd just have it fitted and not worry.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:04 am

Looks like you have found the problem. Likely a faulty alternator.
Charge up your battery before you start it and make sure you have the leads round the right way on the battery you should be fine.
Anyone think of any faults that could damage the rectifier?
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:15 am

^^^^^
Lightning strike
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.

Return to “Techie Stuff”