Strange smell

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Toblerone1972
Apprentice Bongonaut

Strange smell

Post by Toblerone1972 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:23 pm

I have a Bongo 2.5 Td 1995 which I bought last year from 321away. I've recently been getting a smell in the cab area which I would describe as like burnt or cooked onions. This happens intermittently and is only noticeable when the vehicle is stationary. A mechanic friend had a quick look around, inspected the engine and checked the gear box oil which he said looked fine.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Re: Strange smell

Post by Bongolia » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:43 pm

Could it be a coolant leak somewhere that can smell a bit oniony.
Are you loosing any coolant?
Heater matrix? Is it worse with blower on?
Other than that no idea!
:(
Toblerone1972
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Toblerone1972 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:08 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I did have to top up the coolant a while back but
it's been consistent since. I think it is more noticeable when the fan is on, I'll check. Is the heater matrix expensive to replace?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:14 pm

Another thing that happens to old diesel Bongos is they develop leaky fuel pump seals (though the smell then diesely, no surprise there then ha ha). But the point is that with engine sitting in an upturned bowl inside the cab then smells will try to rise into the cab especially when stationary. Have you lifted the engine covers to check for any leaks of coolant or oil, maybe dripping onto something hot like the exhaust. Do checks with engine running and hot so all liquids are being pumped and most likely to leak. A workaround (but not a fix) is a scavenger fan over-ride switch, so you can purge fumes from engine bay when stationary. You could also check the latches for engine covers have sufficient tension in them to hold covers closed tight against the seal. They can be retensioned by bending the curved wire clips a bit.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:27 pm

Toblerone1972 wrote:Thanks for your reply.

I did have to top up the coolant a while back but
it's been consistent since. I think it is more noticeable when the fan is on, I'll check. Is the heater matrix expensive to replace?
Its DIYable. Search on this site for leads to the procedure, the only problem you may have is bleeding the coolant system after but there is a Youtube video on that if you want to have a go.
May not be that though.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:28 pm

My heater / AC matrix honeycomb was well gobbed up with dirt /dust / debris / dead flies etc: .. I cleaned / deodorised it with Mr Muscle a paint brush and an hand held domestic steam cleaner ..

JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Toblerone1972
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Toblerone1972 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:56 am

I think I might have got to the bottom of this. Having not driven the Bongo for a few weeks, I took it on a long drive over the weekend with no smell. However the steering wheel sounds like a rusty old bicycle wheel and feels heavier than normal. I'm going to take it to my mechanic friend to have a look, but would a power steering fluid leak cause that kind of odour?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:08 am

Toblerone1972 wrote:I think I might have got to the bottom of this. Having not driven the Bongo for a few weeks, I took it on a long drive over the weekend with no smell. However the steering wheel sounds like a rusty old bicycle wheel and feels heavier than normal. I'm going to take it to my mechanic friend to have a look, but would a power steering fluid leak cause that kind of odour?
Sounds like it needs fixed anyway so maybe get it done then see if problems stop. Can ask garage if power steering fluid had been leaking onto anything hot?
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:07 pm

It may not be the cause of the smell .. but the bearings in the two UJs on the steering column have been known to seize ..

I used motor cycle chain lube on mine .. goes on like a penetrating oil .. which turns into a sticky clinging grease ..

Also .. because decent motor bike chains have hundreds of 'O' rings ..its safe for contact with any rubber bits ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
pip the bongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by pip the bongo » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:54 pm

mikeonb4c wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:14 pm Another thing that happens to old diesel Bongos is they develop leaky fuel pump seals (though the smell then diesely, no surprise there then ha ha). But the point is that with engine sitting in an upturned bowl inside the cab then smells will try to rise into the cab especially when stationary. Have you lifted the engine covers to check for any leaks of coolant or oil, maybe dripping onto something hot like the exhaust. Do checks with engine running and hot so all liquids are being pumped and most likely to leak. A workaround (but not a fix) is a scavenger fan over-ride switch, so you can purge fumes from engine bay when stationary. You could also check the latches for engine covers have sufficient tension in them to hold covers closed tight against the seal. They can be retensioned by bending the curved wire clips a bit.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Hi I'm new to bongo ownership and to forums.
Looks like I'm having a similar problem with mine, its a 94 2.5l diesel. Thought I had a oil leak at first, but on closer inspection it seems a clear looking liquid which smells like oil. Its washing the oil off the engine and on to my drive. When I've been for a decent run out in it, it smells very oily but only outside, not inside. Its been into my local garage to check it out, and he reckons its fuel, but cant see where its coming from! Could it be from the fuel pump? If so, would it be worth me buying the pump seals from bongo land and get the mechanic to change them?
Many thanks in advance
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:47 pm

run your hand along the underside of the fuel pump, if its wet it will be the seals.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:28 am

Good tip from Ady. =D>

Regards buying the seals I would always prefer to just ask a garage to fix something rather than supply parts myself.

Reason being if there's a problem the garage might say the parts are faulty and the parts supplier may say they are fine and have been fitted incorrectly.

You're now between a rock and a hard place with Bongy off the road.

You can always explain to the garage where parts can be obtained if they can't find them, but better to use a Bongo Savvy garage who can source parts as required. :wink:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:41 am

94 is a v early/old Bongo. If funds permit i'd be tempted to bite the bullet and fit a reconditioned unit. Bongospares sell them and fit them if you're anywhere near Halifax. DIY seal replacement can be fraught.

Return to “Techie Stuff”