Supreme Being

Re: Double Din Sat Nav, DVD and stereo

Post by wonkanoby » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:26 am

just cut it with a hacksaw in my case
redrocket
Bongonaut

Post by redrocket » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:04 pm

Not had chance to measure the current draw on the chinese android double din yet, but i have noticed now i am more aware of this that whatever charge i am replenishing via what i can get via solar in the wintery day is deffo being used by morning, so my guess is that yeah these things do have a high drain on the leisure battery. will follow up when i exactly how much by.....frustrates me a little as they do everything but for the sake of waking up instantly and keeping the time, i dont think its worth the drain. hmmmm
Jimbobvfr400
Bongolier

Post by Jimbobvfr400 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:19 pm

redrocket wrote:Not had chance to measure the current draw on the chinese android double din yet, but i have noticed now i am more aware of this that whatever charge i am replenishing via what i can get via solar in the wintery day is deffo being used by morning, so my guess is that yeah these things do have a high drain on the leisure battery. will follow up when i exactly how much by.....frustrates me a little as they do everything but for the sake of waking up instantly and keeping the time, i dont think its worth the drain. hmmmm
How are you turning it off?
In the one I had you could either press the power button for standby or press and hold the power button and get a pop up menu and turn off properly. If you're doing the first one, try doing the second one and see what happens.
Jamie, Caroline and the kids.
2002 V6 Aero AFT
redrocket
Bongonaut

Post by redrocket » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:47 pm

Turning on and off works off a +12 from ignition, I could also have the power and backup off the ignition which would mean no memory of time and no instant start up but atleast no battery drain, but then leisure batt wont power it when ignition is not on.

Or just manually turn it on and off like you say.
could just use a relay which activates the power from the leisure battery on ignition
Jimbobvfr400
Bongolier

Post by Jimbobvfr400 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:55 pm

I have my stereo switchable between the ignition switched feed and the permanent LB feed.

I have a swap loom that plugs into the bottom of the fuse holder for the stereo. I used the same sort of pin to take the switched supply from the top terminal of the holder, directly to an inline fuse holder, this cable and the cable from the swap loom are connected to a switch, that feeds back to the bottom terminal on the fuse holder. Its simpler than it sounds.

The switch is one of these, position 1 is switched via the key, position 2 is permanent live from the LB, 0 in the middle is off.

This is a rather rubbish diagram to explain it.

Jamie, Caroline and the kids.
2002 V6 Aero AFT
captain_badger
Junior Bongonaut

Post by captain_badger » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:22 pm

Great idea. I'm thinking of doing the same as I'm in the cusp of buying one of these units for my Bongo. They seem to get decent reviews, although I do wonder how many of the reviews are genuine. 🤔 Any opinions folks? I like how versatile it is , with options for up to 3 camera inputs, 2 display outputs etc.

The idea of having a switch to alternate between permanent and ignition +12V appeals to me. In fact I think somebody might have done it in the past and it's since been removed as there's a hole near the give box with "L" and "S" written above and below which I'm presuming stands for "Leisure" and "Switched". Could be wrong though. I reckon most Bongos these days must come with their own unique mysteries to solve.
playnotwork
Bongonaut

Post by playnotwork » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:52 am

andylawton wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:54 pm
Tweenie32 wrote:Hi

I need a double din for my bongo and looking on eBay - does anyone know what specifications fit it and what I should be looking for?

Thanks

Hannah
I fitted this one in my Ford Freda . Its great But the cradle needs to be 182 wide x 118mm in height
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-7-Android- ... 4b05ea97e2

where did you get the cradle from. cheers
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:14 pm

captain_badger wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:22 pm Great idea. I'm thinking of doing the same as I'm in the cusp of buying one of these units for my Bongo. They seem to get decent reviews, although I do wonder how many of the reviews are genuine. 🤔 Any opinions folks? I like how versatile it is , with options for up to 3 camera inputs, 2 display outputs etc.

The idea of having a switch to alternate between permanent and ignition +12V appeals to me. In fact I think somebody might have done it in the past and it's since been removed as there's a hole near the give box with "L" and "S" written above and below which I'm presuming stands for "Leisure" and "Switched". Could be wrong though. I reckon most Bongos these days must come with their own unique mysteries to solve.
I fitted a Pumpkin unit to a Suzuki 4x4 and it has been great. I was concerned about the quailty but it has proven to be good value for money. Have a reverse cam and have connected an iPod to it, The instructions where basic but clear enough. Main problem was working out how to spring off the various panels to hide wires etc. Oh, and no issues with battery drain or anything.
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.

Return to “Techie Stuff”