Tiny Jump-Starter Pack

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Re: Tiny Jump-Starter Pack

Post by Bongoplod » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:57 am

Diplomat wrote:I guess that what they really do is help the main starter battery revive enough to start the vehicle.

With all we read about the danger of shorting Lithium ion batteries, I don't think I would like to give it a Bongo starting job all on its own.

Nevertheless, if I find myself with 50 quid burning a hole in my pocket, I might treat myself to one for amateur radio use.

Frank
Theyve even got ports to charge/run laptops,cellphones etc
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
Jimbobvfr400
Bongolier

Post by Jimbobvfr400 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:05 am

I've got one and it's brilliant. Mines called a Jumping Jack Supermax. I've not needed to use it to start a Bongo yet but it has started a 2.5D Ducato motorhome. I mainly use it camping for power in the awning to charge phones and run some led lights.
Jamie, Caroline and the kids.
2002 V6 Aero AFT
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:39 pm

Jimbobvfr400 wrote:I've got one and it's brilliant. Mines called a Jumping Jack Supermax. I've not needed to use it to start a Bongo yet but it has started a 2.5D Ducato motorhome. I mainly use it camping for power in the awning to charge phones and run some led lights.
Now that sounds like a superb idea all round (especially with your endorsement) and if it can be charged while driving it could pretty much remove the need for a leisure battery. If Geoff is reading this may he could comment on that. I'm still a bit nervous about how it might react to being flattened under heavy load, longevity etc. but it seems well worth a punt:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00UJ9 ... k+supermax
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:46 pm

I've had one for a couple of years .. holds it's charge very well and while still using my Bongo my V6 Alphard was left unused on the drive and the battery 'self discharged' several times .. started the 3.0 V6 without any hassle ..

They are an very light / handy /will fit in your pocket charge phone / tablet / emergency car starter .. BUT .. no way are they as substitute / practical as good starter battery and a 110AH leisure battery !! ...

JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:08 pm

mikeWalsall wrote:I've had one for a couple of years .. holds it's charge very well and while still using my Bongo my V6 Alphard was left unused on the drive and the battery 'self discharged' several times .. started the 3.0 V6 without any hassle ..

They are an very light / handy /will fit in your pocket charge phone / tablet / emergency car starter .. BUT .. no way are they as substitute / practical as good starter battery and a 110AH leisure battery !! ...
A bit late to the party, but which brand model is that one? My car failed to start when I tried to pull away from a petrol pump over Christmas - a bit embarrassing. Luckily the petrol station had a jump starter handy. Got me thinking that I could do with a jump starter (I have a habit of leaving my lights on, esp. in the Bongo). I've narrowed it down to 3, which, according to the specs, should be capable of starting the Bongo, as well as my other vehicles. Trouble is, most of the reviews on Amazon are sponsored, so to be taken with a pinch of salt.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00YDZR3ZI/ ... AybX0MV3AA
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BF08HGC/ ... AybC4QJGBR
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KZFUW98/ ... AybB37SH6W

That last one looks like the best bet.
Two tonne tin drum
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:52 pm

I have to say they are no substitute for an efficient starter battery .. but OK to keep in the car (or your pocket) purely for emergency use ..

This is similar to mine ..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50800mAh-Port ... 3d24f3c4ba
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:13 pm

Thanks for link. Ended up with the Guluman, though. Not sure why, just a (probably ill founded) gut feeling. Unit arrived today and appears to be good quality. I may test it on the Bongo tomorrow. The car battery was about 8 years old, but no sign of any trouble until the recent cold snap and took me by surprise. Batteries in all my vehicles (Bongo, car and motorbike) are all new now, so not expecting to have to use the jump starter; but we end up in some pretty remote places abroad and it will offer some peace of mind. Shame I didn't have it a couple of days ago - our neighbour had exactly the same problem, and it would have been a good test.
Two tonne tin drum
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:14 pm

Managed to run a test on the Guluman today, but not that impressed. I will probably return it and look at getting a cheaper model.

I disconnected my good Bongo battery, and replaced it with my dodgy car battery (12.47v meter reading across the poles, but unable to start a vehicle). Tried starting the Bongo, and just got a click. I then connected the fully charged Guluman jump starter. This time the engine turned over but failed to start. Waited 60 seconds (as per instructions) and tried again. The Bongo started - so far so good. However, the jump starter battery was now only reading 1 LED out of 4, so would need recharging (5 hours) before it could be used again. The problem here is that, if I stall the engine, or have to stop it for whatever reason, I wouldn't be able to get going again. OK, in an emergency it might be all I need to get out of trouble, but as this is a more expensive unit I expect a little more. The cheaper ones "claim" up to 20-30 starts on a single full charge, this only manages one and appears to be working at the limit of its capability. Temperature was 9 degrees this morning, last week it was -3 degrees, so the jump starter would probably have struggled more when I needed it. I'm not expecting miracles, I would have been happy if it only cost £30, but not at £66.
Two tonne tin drum
cazzyblues
Bongolier

Post by cazzyblues » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:21 pm

Aldi have them today at £39.99 I think it was. They had been reduced. Possibly available
online too.
I don't know how good it is though.

I have another brand(winplus from Costco) and have used it numerous times on my Belingo
but not used it on the Bongo yet. It has been a godsend for the Belingo.

I think for the price they are well worth having for back up and getting out of trouble on top
as previously mentioned the charging facility fjor usb devices.
Cazzy
Art of Wax ( Facebook page)
"Art is a pigment of your imagination". (Darcy Gerdes)
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:31 pm

I may have been a little hasty in my condemnation of the Guluman. After my first disappointing attempt, I tried fully charging the device again, and testing it on the Bongo. Over the course of two days, I was able to jump start the Bongo first time on 6 separate occasions from a single charge. 4 LEDs were still showing after the 6th start. Temperature was around 9C. I then fully charged the device, and left it for nearly 3 weeks - I wanted to check that it would hold the charge over a period of time. This afternoon, it started the Bongo again, first time. If I ignore the first test, it seems that the device is performing very well, and I'll not be returning it after all.
Two tonne tin drum
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:04 pm

dvisor wrote:I may have been a little hasty in my condemnation of the Guluman. After my first disappointing attempt, I tried fully charging the device again, and testing it on the Bongo. Over the course of two days, I was able to jump start the Bongo first time on 6 separate occasions from a single charge. 4 LEDs were still showing after the 6th start. Temperature was around 9C. I then fully charged the device, and left it for nearly 3 weeks - I wanted to check that it would hold the charge over a period of time. This afternoon, it started the Bongo again, first time. If I ignore the first test, it seems that the device is performing very well, and I'll not be returning it after all.
Useful update. Have to admit to being one of the sceptics so your post is all the more interesting :-)
Uvidona
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Uvidona » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:05 am

i personally dont trust those mini things.

one thing to keep in mind is that usually the amperage advertised as "peak amp" is usually about twice what the actual amperage is.. so "1800 Peak Amps", is usually a 900 amp box.. (for the regular sized ones anyway)

i have the Diehard 1150 jump box https://10carbest.com/best-jump-starters for home (and a Stanley but the Diehard is better). i really like it.. it has the jump box with a replaceable battery you can buy from ebay for like $36 if it ever fails, two 12v power ports, one USB, two 110 power outlets with a 400 watt inverter, compressor/inflator, and a light.. comes in really handy and i never expected to use it as much as i do for other things.. great for charging phones during power outages, and the inverter option is a great way to use a LED floodlight outside without having to run 200' of extension cords.. for a normal car, i think this is a great tool despite some negative reviews from people online that dont underatnd how it works.. i think it cost me around $100.

all that being said - if i had to buy another one, this is what i would buy.. Home Depot just started selling these (in the store anyway). its a 1000 amp (not "peak" amp) CAT jump box.. its $150 but looks well worth the cost..
http://t.homedepot.com/p/CAT-1000-Am...000/205431815/
On Youtube full of expert reviews on this topic, leave one video of them here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh_pz_YbvTY

Return to “Techie Stuff”