Ripped mesh on pop up!!!!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

xpanse0

Ripped mesh on pop up!!!!

Post by xpanse0 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:14 am

Hello everyone. Just wondering if anyone has any good tips to repair the ripped mesh on the canvas of my pop up roof. Before it was shipped from Japan it was sent to mazda to get a repair that would, supposedly, look like it was never ripped by the time they had finished with it.

Well!

It looks like they just stuck some sellatape on it, and thats peeling off.

The cost of replacing it seems prohibitive. £800-£900 for new canvas, fitted. Or if I'm lucky £300 fitted if I can find a good used canvas. OUCH!

Has anyone been succesful sewing this together, as it is just the mesh. If it rained I would just zip up the canvas.

Thank you all in advance.

Steve
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:25 am

I had ripped mesh on mine, so I just took it all out. I think the mesh is only useful if you are sleeping in mozzie land.....
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
xpanse0

Post by xpanse0 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:41 am

Thanks. Doesn't it get a bit stuffy. I thought the fresh air coming through the mesh may be cooling on those hot summer evenings.

A tempting thought however.
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:38 am

If it gets hot, I just open the zips on the canvas.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
trevd01

Post by trevd01 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:42 pm

I had a small rip in my mesh in the roof. Fixed it with tent seam sealer that came with a Khyam tent (you can buy similar in camping shops). Forms a film that bridges the tear and dries clear, seems strong.

If it's a long rip you would need to hold together with tape or something 'till it dried.

Return to “Techie Stuff”