Rust above gutter line on side of roof ?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Bongolia
Supreme Being

Re: Rust above gutter line on side of roof ?

Post by Bongolia » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:35 am

Nice one!
Should be sorted for a good few years now. =D>
I have to confess I have been pushing this job to the back of my list, not looking forward to it at all. :(
The images posted are going to be a great help,thanks.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:12 pm

To be fair Gerry/Paul probably wouldn't tackle it in the same way again, they said. Given that none of it is structural, they would now cut out the old, sort any remaining rust, then cut out from a donor vehicle sheets that would pop inside with an overlap so that they could be welded much more simply than a butt weld, then fill the depression as its very shallow.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:16 pm

Personally, i'd be tempted to use the roof/bodywork to make a grp mould then make a grp overcladding piece. Cold casting and corrosion free materials appeal to me, as does trying something completely different in approach ;-)

And of course the mould could be reused if other people want a similar job done ;-)
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:18 pm

g8dhe wrote:To be fair Gerry/Paul probably wouldn't tackle it in the same way again, they said. Given that none of it is structural, they would now cut out the old, sort any remaining rust, then cut out from a donor vehicle sheets that would pop inside with an overlap so that they could be welded much more simply than a butt weld, then fill the depression as its very shallow.
Yes, I think that`s the way I will go. Better to bring it to level than try to feather it out across the panel,
makes for an easier weld too,the metal is surprisingly thin,but then its only a cover.
Totally agree on the waxoyl too. As important as the arches in my opinion.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:26 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:Personally, i'd be tempted to use the roof/bodywork to make a grp mould then make a grp overcladding piece. Cold casting and corrosion free materials appeal to me, as does trying something completely different in approach ;-)

And of course the mould could be reused if other people want a similar job done ;-)
True, that is an alternative approach . It is dependent on the structure though. In the case of the Wasp that is pretty shot so there are repairs needed to that.
I suppose I could take a cast from the Aero and make a cap. :?:
I have the OS arch to do now and then all that remains of the obvious corrosion is the roof. I may take the weekend off and have a think on it. :?
Capt Ham
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Capt Ham » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:53 pm

Interested to see how these previous roof repairs are bearing up after 2 years .... Any comments? I've had rust spots like that along the spot welds in the gutter (treated them with jenolite then primer and spraycan - not ideal, as all done outside, in a tent :~) but also a couple of holes on the nearside above gutter line. Put in some waxoyl then covered with aluminium speedtape (as used on airliners ...) ... But really need a proper fix ....
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:59 pm

They have been fine, no problems visible at all, if its dry tomorrow I'll try to pop out and take some photo's.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:11 pm

OK here is the update pictures 2.5 years on ....
http://www.g8dhe.net/bongo_images/tin_w ... php?ind=50
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Capt Ham
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Capt Ham » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:50 am

Thanks for that. Been having some arch and sill work done on my beloved Beryl by Bongo Spares in Sowerby, and how to do the smallish roof patches was a discussion point. I believe they have ended up sanding, kurusting and filling .. I'd be a lot happier if there is waxoyl inside too ... otherwise it might just be cut and weld in a year or two ....

Return to “Techie Stuff”