Rear vent air con issues

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Yeti
Junior Bongonaut

Rear vent air con issues

Post by Yeti » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:48 pm

Hi everyone,

I recently took the plunge and bought a Bongo so I'm a total noob to all things Bongo, for the moment :wink: Please go easy on me as it's my first post.

When I bought my Bongo (private sale), I checked the air con blew cold and, when I used the "rear" button on the air-con control, that it blew cold in the back too, which it did. I took the Bongo out for a jaunt today and the kids were complaining that they were warm in the back seat. I pressed the magic "rear" button. The light came on but they were still complaining. On closer inspection it seems there is no air being blown out of the rear top vents. The dashboard vents still blow cold but there is nothing coming out of the vents in the back. When I press the "rear" button I can hear a fan like noise from behind the panel which is behind the drivers seat but nothing comes from the rear top vents or side vent. I don't want to have to remove interior panels (and the kitchen) unless it is absolutely necessary and, if it came to that, I'd take it to the garage (lazy, I know).

I've had a search of the forums but couldn't see anything that matches the issue. Are there any simple checks to narrow down the issue?

The Bongo is a 2004 2.0 auto Aero city runner with full side conversion. The air-con panel is the digital type with no rear controls other than the "rear" button on it.
"It is his love, it is his passion"
"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage!"
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Re: Rear vent air con issues

Post by Bongolia » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:56 pm

Welcome.
There should be a controller for the rear unit in the back. Have a look in the cupboards low down they hid mine in there rather than extend the cabling. #-o
Yours may be the same.
CheekyRich
Junior Bongonaut

Post by CheekyRich » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:58 pm

THere is a control panel for the rear heating / AC on the panel beneath the 1st rear window on the driver's side (ie the first row of rear seats on a Bongo.) This includes a selector to either have the air directed to the top vents or the bottom vent in the rear, or a mix of the two (similar to that in the front). Perhaps your airflow has been left directed to the bottom vent and the conversion has then been placed over the control (or the panel with controls removed?) so you can't change the airflow director?
Yeti
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Yeti » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:37 pm

I've had a thorough look through the cupboards beneath the hob and sink (first panel behind the drivers seat). There aren't any controls in there (other than the switch for the blinds). The missus and I have just looked in every part of the van and can't see any. Although we did find another 12v socket :lol:

I don't think the air flow has been directed through the bottom vent as there is no air being blown through that either and it did blow cold through the top vents when I picked it up. Do all Bongos have the control for the rear air in the back?
CheekyRich
Junior Bongonaut

Post by CheekyRich » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:44 pm

The rear controls are in the recessed "armrest" part of the panel, beneath the carpeted top section of the panel that runs alongside the window (from memory.)
Possibly this whole panel was removed for your conversion?
CheekyRich
Junior Bongonaut

Post by CheekyRich » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:46 pm

Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:47 pm

yes as standard.
this the position it should be in, as you see its angled upwards in the panel so may be hard to see in a cupboard.

http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html
CheekyRich
Junior Bongonaut

Post by CheekyRich » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:48 pm

Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:49 pm

sorry mate, you were on it already. 8)
Yeti
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Yeti » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:11 pm

Ah! Pants. That'll be what used to occupy the hole then :(

Hmm. I think I may need some more elbows to get my hand in there.

Thanks for the help :D
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:10 am

It has to be in there somewhere, else, I would imagine,the rear unit wouldn't run at all.
Anyone know if that is the case or would it be fed via front switch directly?
Can you use a mirror on a stick to see if the connector is loose in the armrest panel?
Yeti
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Yeti » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:31 pm

I don't have one of those new fangled mirrors so had to make do with an old fashioned camera phone :wink:

I've taken a picture of the hole where I think the control panel should be. After having a root around, I found a group of wires coming off the main wiring loom to a connector (not connected to anything) I assume this is what the rear heating/cooling controls should be connected to? There are wires for the internal sockets and a waste water pipe from the sink now going through the hole (water and electrics, eek!)

I still don't understand how the rear a/c was working and now doesn't. If there's no controller how can it change? :?

cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:09 am

If you have the auto climate control aircon (buttons on dashboard controller, not levers) I believe you can control all the rear features from the front except for temperature which is a mechanical slider on the rear control panel. Could this explain why on one occasion you had air out of the rear vents but not on another?

I don't know what happens with the manual Aircon version with levers.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Yeti
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Yeti » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:54 pm

cmm303 wrote:If you have the auto climate control aircon (buttons on dashboard controller, not levers) I believe you can control all the rear features from the front except for temperature which is a mechanical slider on the rear control panel.
Correct. I found the issue. When you press the "rear button" for about 3 seconds you can choose how the air is distributed in the rear. Somehow, and I have no idea how, it had been switched away from the top vents. I switched it back and it's now working. No need to look at wiring (thank God!). A bit embarrassing but, as I say, I'm a noob to the Bongo :D
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:44 pm

Glad you found it. :D

Never feel embaressed about asking on here, Bongos have many little individual quirks and most of us have been caught out by one or two.

Also, this post will help others. :wink:

Return to “Techie Stuff”