Towbar swap and other parts

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

BuddyBongo
Bongonaut

Towbar swap and other parts

Post by BuddyBongo » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:40 am

Hey Bongonauts...

I have the opportunity to buy a '99 V6 petrol Bongo tintop (I already have a '95 2.4 Diesel AFT) ...looks in decent condition and has 'some' paperwork... but what I want to buy it for is to swap a few of the parts out for ones that are worn or missing on my Buddy. Anyone know if the following are interchangeable between the 2 vans models.

> Towbar - are there more than 1 type for each model?
> Drivers side electric window switch
> Plastic centre divider (around handbrake and Auto shifter)
> Drivers wingmirror
> Skirt kit

I plan to donate Buddy's parts back onto the newer van and sell it on (might even do a quick camper conversion first)

I will try and post some pictures of the newer van so you can see some of the parts I'm talking about.

Cheers
"Tents aren't soundproof" - '95 2.4DT AFT - "Buddy"
BuddyBongo
Bongonaut

Re: Towbar swap and other parts

Post by BuddyBongo » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:57 am

Struggling to get the photos up... bear with
BuddyBongo
Bongonaut

Post by BuddyBongo » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:28 am

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:41 am

Seems like the long way round (and a shame) to turn a decent Bongo into an indecent one by parts swapping if/when it might be easier to get parts from a breaker like Bongospares. Have you explored/costed out tbe alternatives?
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:40 pm

all the parts will swap, the only thing that may be different is the colour of grey on the hand brake gear lever panel.
BuddyBongo
Bongonaut

Post by BuddyBongo » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:32 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:Seems like the long way round (and a shame) to turn a decent Bongo into an indecent one by parts swapping if/when it might be easier to get parts from a breaker like Bongospares. Have you explored/costed out tbe alternatives?
I know I know, but I'm in New Zealand and it's pretty hard to come by these parts so I'm constantly on the lookout for other bongos/fredas... there's quite a big market for sleepervans (mattress and stove in the back) over here and the slightly more inferior/missing parts will almost certainly go un-noticed anyway...I will defo give it a quick and dirty camper conversion before selling on... so that the newer bongo still gets a decent life :wink: It's not like I'm putting a puppy down :wink: !!!
BuddyBongo
Bongonaut

Post by BuddyBongo » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:34 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote:all the parts will swap, the only thing that may be different is the colour of grey on the hand brake gear lever panel.

Wow, that's good to know! I was certain there'd be at least one that wouldn't, thanks!
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:57 pm

Agree with Venessa,they will swap

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:07 pm

BuddyBongo wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:Seems like the long way round (and a shame) to turn a decent Bongo into an indecent one by parts swapping if/when it might be easier to get parts from a breaker like Bongospares. Have you explored/costed out tbe alternatives?
I know I know, but I'm in New Zealand and it's pretty hard to come by these parts so I'm constantly on the lookout for other bongos/fredas... there's quite a big market for sleepervans (mattress and stove in the back) over here and the slightly more inferior/missing parts will almost certainly go un-noticed anyway...I will defo give it a quick and dirty camper conversion before selling on... so that the newer bongo still gets a decent life :wink: It's not like I'm putting a puppy down :wink: !!!
Aha! Yes well i can see being in NZ would change the whole dynamic. Might as well go for it then :-)

Return to “Techie Stuff”