Central Locking Question

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

stevlor
Bongonaut

Central Locking Question

Post by stevlor » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:35 pm

Hi everyone,

Just bought a Bongo, 20 years old, and seems to be working fine but with a couple of niggles. Had a look on the forum but couldn't see anything about this particular problem. Novice when it comes to bongos so bear with me!

Bongo came with two keys - one does the ignition, driver/passenger doors and boot, and the other one does the sliding door. There's no remote fob.

Anyway, when I come to unlock the car at the driver's door, this unlocks all doors (including boot and sliding door). The problem is that when I lock the driver's door, it doesn't change anything for the other doors. So basically every time I leave the car I have to go round each door and lock them individually, or just leave them open. A little annoying.

Any ideas as to what is causing this? Seems really strange no?

Door loom?

Thanks
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Central Locking Question

Post by g8dhe » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:02 pm

Are there any other faults with wiring to the door ? Try using the key with the door open to see if its intermittent, the reason is that a very common problem is the wiring loom to the drivers door the wires break down at the lower door hinge, the fault you describe is a common one with one of the two wires that operate the central locking has broken by the hinge. Open the wiring loom up at the hinge and inspect, if its just one wire then a simple solder job may be sufficient but quite often once one wire has gone others are not far behind, and replacement loom or re-wire is called for.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
stevlor
Bongonaut

Post by stevlor » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:38 pm

https://goo.gl/photos/ijHnPE9BPWGxMgMT6

Above is the door loom driver's side. When unlocking with door open seems to work well too, and can hear clicks across the car when locking too (but only driver's door locks) so perhaps not the door loom? Hope not anyway.

Seller mentioned it was something to do with something behind the glove compartment - what could that be?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:39 pm

Yup that door loom has been repaired already! So you may well have more broken wires yet!
The central locking module is down behind the passenger glove box, they do go faulty, but not as often as the wiring loom!
details here;

Use the following page to locate the numbered items etc.

You can buy a new loom, not cheap, but repairing the old can be a slog as well.
http://www.g8dhe.net/bongo%5Fimages/Dri ... or%5Floom/
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
stevlor
Bongonaut

Post by stevlor » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:13 am

Thanks, I guess I'll check the central locking module first then, as the previous owner thought it was that. Is there any easy way of seeing what is wrong? Does that seem normal, that it locks fine. but won't unlock?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:24 pm

The switch on the door lock, applies power to one of two wires running back to the module, so a single wire broken will cause either lock or unlock not to work, but it could also be a faulty module. If you put a meter on the two wires in turn you should see it rise to +12v for which ever is operated, and fall much lower towards zero for the one not operated. So if one wire always stays low then you can suspect the wire may be broken in the loom and can then locate it and repair.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:06 pm

stevlor wrote:Hi everyone,

Just bought a Bongo, 20 years old, and seems to be working fine but with a couple of niggles. Had a look on the forum but couldn't see anything about this particular problem. Novice when it comes to bongos so bear with me!

Bongo came with two keys - one does the ignition, driver/passenger doors and boot, and the other one does the sliding door. There's no remote fob.

Anyway, when I come to unlock the car at the driver's door, this unlocks all doors (including boot and sliding door). The problem is that when I lock the driver's door, it doesn't change anything for the other doors. So basically every time I leave the car I have to go round each door and lock them individually, or just leave them open. A little annoying.

Any ideas as to what is causing this? Seems really strange no?

Door loom?

Thanks
I had the opposite to you: doors locked fine but had to be unlocked individually. A replacement central locking unit got from George at Bongospares fixed it. :-)
stevlor
Bongonaut

Post by stevlor » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:22 am

Thanks for your help guys, I'm a bit of a novice though when it comes to cars, so quite lost.

Re: running a meter over the wires in the door loom - how do I know which ones are the two wires for the central locking?
And how much was your new door loom?

Re: replacement central locking unit - how much did that set you back? And is this the same thing: http://www.bongospares.co.uk/shop/elect ... ing-relay/

Thanks!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:04 am

stevlor wrote:Thanks for your help guys, I'm a bit of a novice though when it comes to cars, so quite lost.

Re: running a meter over the wires in the door loom - how do I know which ones are the two wires for the central locking?

Re: replacement central locking unit - how much did that set you back? And is this the same thing: http://www.bongospares.co.uk/shop/elect ... ing-relay/

Thanks!
I got the initial diagnosis wrong and opted for a new door loom @ £140 plus fitting cost. The replacement used central locking unit (from bongospares - yes thats the thing in your link - takes 2 mins to swop over) that fixed it cost £20.50 posted. Doh! #-o
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:23 am

stevlor wrote:Re: running a meter over the wires in the door loom - how do I know which ones are the two wires for the central locking?

Thanks!
The easiest way is to first open the drivers door and unhook the plastic clip holding the loom on the lower hinge, unwrap the outer insulation tape, and open up the convoluted tubing to expose the wires, often the problem will be visible! If not then run your finger nail down each wire you may be able to feel a "give" internally indicating the broken wires inside - these are the wires to repair. If not then use a volt meter to measure the voltage at the central locking module connector the colours and plug positions are given in the diagram below click for fullsize;

K2-02 connector pins C (Yellow/Red) and D (White/Black) on the plug, each wire should go to a full +12volts when the switch is operated for its direction.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:10 am

Is there a common fix for all locking working except side door, I've cleaned contacts, door loom looks ok just need obvious things to check next.

stu
Do what you like.Like what you do.
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:59 am

This happened on a previous Bongo we had. It was caused by the central locking (no remote fob) getting out of sequence. The way we solved it in the end was to make sure all doors were locked individually from the inside, including the tailgate. Then they were all unlocked again from the inside, then they were locked and unlocked via the central locking in the driver door. This seemed to clear it.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:04 pm

All three locks are driven from one pair of wires, righthand half of diagram;

So any one door having a problem will be down to the local wiring to the door or the solenoid in the door itself.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:11 pm

Ian wrote:make sure all doors were locked individually from the inside, including the tailgate.
If you've not got a handle on the inside the tailgate, how do you do this?
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:52 pm

Geoff
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”