Screen wash not working. :-(

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

nicxf
Bongolier

Screen wash not working. :-(

Post by nicxf » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:14 am

My wiper blades work, the screen wash is full but no water appears when I try to use front or rear screen wash, just the wipers go. Pump issue? Can I get replacements? Not sure what to look for in the Bongo shop....
Going to get the garage to look at it but thought I'd pre-empt on here in case I need to get a new part and can get it at a better price via members shop. :-D
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Re: Screen wash not working. :-(

Post by roosmith » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:34 am

There is a separate pump for front and back, so odd that they have both failed at the same time, could be pointing to something other than the pumps.

However if it is the pumps, you might need to do a search for the exact one but the Subaru pump works and is infinitely cheaper than the Bongo one (ohhhh it's an import, lets double the price). Look on eBay for the Bongo one and compare the pictures for the Subaru (I think it was Imprezza). The pipe connection is in a slightly different place but it fits and works, I fitted one when mine failed.
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:25 am

Different fuses for front and rear and wipers still work so not a fuse problem.

Trying to think what would affect both pumps. Presumably there is a vent in the screen wash reservoir top to allow air in as water is pumped out. Could this be blocked? Try it with the cap off.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
nicxf
Bongolier

Post by nicxf » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:44 am

Ah, rear one is working so might just be pump or fuse on front? Is with garage now so hoping they will find a cure. I mentioned the Subaru pump, in case it is that!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:46 am

Could be the earth connection, they both seem to use the same one.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
dblake
Bongolier

Post by dblake » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:38 pm

roosmith wrote:However if it is the pumps, you might need to do a search for the exact one but the Subaru pump works and is infinitely cheaper than the Bongo one (ohhhh it's an import, lets double the price). Look on eBay for the Bongo one and compare the pictures for the Subaru (I think it was Imprezza). The pipe connection is in a slightly different place but it fits and works, I fitted one when mine failed.
My rear pump isnt working, i didn give it a clean and recovered it previously but its stopped again. Time to replace.

So was wondering if it was a particular year Subaru Impreza that was compatible? And any other potential gotchas on power and pipe positioning?
Cheers :)
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:12 pm

I'm not 100% sure but the one I bought was plug and play. I got the information on here, so a but of searching should uncover which one you need.
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:20 pm

nicxf wrote:Ah, rear one is working so might just be pump or fuse on front? Is with garage now so hoping they will find a cure. I mentioned the Subaru pump, in case it is that!
When you try the front washer does the pump make any sounds if it does it could be chocked pipe/jets.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:41 pm

nicxf wrote:Ah, rear one is working so might just be pump or fuse on front? Is with garage now so hoping they will find a cure. I mentioned the Subaru pump, in case it is that!
Shares the same fuse as the wipers. So if front wipers work then fuse is ok.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
nicxf
Bongolier

Post by nicxf » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:44 am

Hi
Thanks all. No, no noise at all when you try to use the front one. The clever guys at the garage said it's definitely the pump so have done a temporary fix and connected the front washers to the rear pump, so when you go to activate the rear washer the front one comes on instead. =D>
They figured if one is going to be out of commission it's better if it's the back!
Going to source a secondhand pump for the front - any idea what I should be paying or if the part s available in the Bongo shop here? :?
weebrian
Bongolier

Post by weebrian » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:37 am

£12 new on eBay. I think the pumps are the same but the electrical connection are different.
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:39 am

Yep, this is what i bought when i replaced mine

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360961038745
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:54 am

I was in eurocarparts last week and they were doing universal pumps for £6.00,might be worth investigating.

Return to “Techie Stuff”