Engine Temp sensor routing

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

TonyBongo
Bongonaut

Engine Temp sensor routing

Post by TonyBongo » Thu May 19, 2016 12:07 pm

Got my Haydn temp and low coolant sensor and am trying to figure out the best routing for the temp sensor on the back of the engine.

The display will be either under the radio or in the pocket behind the gear stick. Routing for the low coolant sensor cable was a doddle, but can anyone advise how to route the temp sensor cable into the engine bay?

Cheers

Tony
Darkstar
Bongolier

Re: Engine Temp sensor routing

Post by Darkstar » Thu May 19, 2016 1:01 pm

remove glove box, cable gland behind,

if I remember correctly there was a little nipple on it, seen from the engine bay, I snipped that and fed cable though from inside, tie wrapped cable to thick metal bracing bar, my readout box was double sided foam taped right of cubbyhole near to left knee, can then see read out through lower half of steering wheel. routed sensor cable over centre console under carpet.
Got a Bongo for the Wife, Best trade-in ever
TonyBongo
Bongonaut

Post by TonyBongo » Thu May 19, 2016 1:44 pm

Still not clear how to get the temperature sensor into the engine bay.

Am considering cutting a slid in the rubber boot through which the gear cable runs and sliding it through there.
Darkstar
Bongolier

Post by Darkstar » Thu May 19, 2016 10:43 pm

sorry i thought you was looking to feed the water level sensor, still thinking the engines under the bonnet. i used a step drill bit to drill a large hole big enough to fit the engine temp sensor (assuming you are fitting it to the rear of head) through the rear inspection plate at the rear of the tunnel, i fitted a blank grommet to the hole and slit it to feed sensor through, you will need to remove or bend ( if you cant get to the bottom bolts) the inspection plate out the way to bolt the sensor to the head, then feed the cable over the tunnel and down the side of the gear selector.

someone may be along with a clearer explaination soon.
Got a Bongo for the Wife, Best trade-in ever
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu May 19, 2016 11:12 pm

I routed mine round tbe lip of the drivers side engine bay, taping a continuous strip of pvc tape over it. Then it slips up under the dash to where the display is mounted, at the bottom of the dash near where my lower left leg rests when driving.
TonyBongo
Bongonaut

Post by TonyBongo » Fri May 20, 2016 9:46 am

Thanks for the advice.

Found a grommet in the drives and passengers footwell (close to the seat and the centre of the vehicle), so have ran the temp sensor from the pocket behind the gear stick , under the carpet alongside the gearstick and then down through the grommet (passenger side) into the engine bay, then around the edge of the engine bay to the connection point at the back of the engine block.

Cheers

Tony

Return to “Techie Stuff”