Driver's side window switch

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Crisbecky
Bongonaut

Driver's side window switch

Post by Crisbecky » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:26 am

Like many others, I seem to be having problems controlling the passenger side window using the driver's side master switch. (Passenger window works fine with passenger's side switch and driver's side switch works fine for driver's window. However, I'm concerned if left untreated I might end up with windows left open that I can't close)

Before investigating the wiring loom between the driver's door for damage I though I'd first check the driver door master window switch itself. Is there a step by step idiots guide anywhere for doing this? If so I do believe that I could be the "idiot" to test it!!!

I'm particularly keen to know how best to lever out the plastic switch cover/housing from the door without breaking it and then how to clean/inspect the switch itself without losing the errant spring and ballbearing??

Alternatively, if I can't fix/clean it, rather than buying a genuine mazda replacement switch which the garage advises me will cost over £100 it seems you can get cheaper £20 versions for Mazda 323F: Are these any good?

Thanks for any pointers, Cris
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Re: Driver's side window switch

Post by Tony x » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:54 pm

We own a Bongo and a 323f and our previous Bongo plus the 323f both had problems with the drivers side window switch.
Leave the door open in the rain and you can have problems too.
I can assure you, they are exactly the same although the mounting method is different.

On the Bongo, the switch surround is held in with spring clips and just pulls off - I can't remember if you pull the front or the back but you should feel it give when you get the right end.

The switch itself is quite hard to repair - small plastic bits can break and, unless you have another broken switch you can strip for parts, then you'll struggle. However, it may work again with a spray of contact cleaner and a thorough dry out if you're lucky...but you would have to be lucky.
If you want to try and, if I remember correctly, they come apart easily with a screwdriver

The price of a new switch has come down from around £70 on ebay (new) to about £40 the last time I looked and, if the switches themselves (as in the part you push and pull when operating the windows) feel loose, then I'd go with new.
Don't pay £100
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:52 pm

Some folks have found that some of the identical looking switches for sale on eBay are wired differently so the left switch operates the right window and vice versa.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:55 pm

Although the drivers door as always been fine .. my passengers side window stopped working several years back .. I pulled every wire exiting the door jambs.. checked the multi pin plugs on the switches to no avail ..

So I bought one of the eBay copies .. but that would not work the passengers window .. also the switch worked OK .. like Simon mentioned .. the functions did not fully match the old switch..

I still have the new switch ..if you want it you can have it for £12.50 post paid ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:02 pm

It releases from the back end first.

If you force it at the front you will snap off the plastic lug which mates first on installation and releases last on removal.

The spring is quite strong at the back and can easily fool you into thinking it can't be that end. Easiest to slide the blade of a table knife just under the edge and push it forwards against the spring whilst lifting the assembly upwards from the rear.

Be careful when dismantling the mechanism as there is a spring and a tiny ball just waiting to fly away.

Before worrying about the wiring loom, check that the switch isn't cracked in the region of its axis. This will cause the travel of the linkage beneath to be inaccurate or even to have jumped out. For it to work properly, the switches in both sides must be in 'neutral' before you can work either control for the passenger window.

One of these days I am going to rebuild mine with a long bolt right through as a new axle.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
Crisbecky
Bongonaut

Post by Crisbecky » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:27 pm

Thanks for the tips. Think I'll buy a 323f one on eBay before having a fiddle. Then I can use it should current one be irreparable.

Frank, when you say lever housing from back, do you mean edge of switch closest to and parralel to dashboard?

Cheers, Cris
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:37 pm

I mean, the short back edge of the complete switch housing furthest away from the door hinges. Not the long side parallel to the window. The front short side comes out last.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
Crisbecky
Bongonaut

Post by Crisbecky » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:07 pm

Brilliant, thanks Frank - that's idiot proof!! ;-)
Crisbecky
Bongonaut

Post by Crisbecky » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:55 pm

Well, that was a very satisfying 5 minute job!!! - thanks for all your help (and sorry Mike just noticed your kind offer).

Ordered a Mazda 323F switch from eBay for about £16 which arrived from a Portsmouth seller 2 days later recorded delivery.

You're right, the retaining spring on switch housing is quite strong but managed to get a sharp kitchen knife under the edge and release the spring and prise switch out. It was interesting to note that the retaining spring is metal so you won't snap it with the knife - I was concerned it might be weak plastic and vulnerable. Unclipped electrical connector and removed unit.

Then unscrewed the old switch from the housing and replaced with the other switch. All windows now working perfectly with correct switches so saved myself some money and the hassle of checking for lose wires in the loom near door hinge. (No doubt I'll gat a chance to play with them in due course of my bongo ownership!)

Have kept the old switch which was filthy with lots of dust and I intend to open up and clean in due course as a possible spare. My next job is to investigate failed rear window sprayer / pump.....

Cheers, Cris
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:10 pm

Cris, checked screen wash level? Rear pump takes from higher up the tank so stops working before the front.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Crisbecky
Bongonaut

Post by Crisbecky » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:19 pm

Yep, checked water level and full. Sadly no sound from pump when washer pressed (front washer fine).

Will look at removing and cleaning pump in due course - found some good posts on the forum! Not urgent to me as don't think part of MOT. ;-)
Greenie2501
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Greenie2501 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:01 pm

I've took my drivers door switch off and the passengers side of it had burnt out , but it wasn't going down by the passengers switch! Do you think that I should change the drivers switch?

Return to “Techie Stuff”