Removing glove compartment

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Signof4
Junior Bongonaut

Removing glove compartment

Post by Signof4 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:37 pm

Hi
My central locking has gone and I need to check the wiring behind the glove compartment. A DVD (101 Dalmations) got wedged behind the glove compartment (a present for my granddaughter) and it might have dislodged something.
So, to stop rambling on, my question is: how do I remove the glove compartment?

Many thanks in anticipation.
Steve
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Re: Removing glove compartment

Post by roosmith » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:15 pm

From memory, open the glove box, the sides squeeze in slightly, which means it will open down to the floor, then just pull and unclip the hinge clip things if you need it out completely.
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:53 pm

roosmith wrote:From memory, open the glove box, the sides squeeze in slightly, which means it will open down to the floor, then just pull and unclip the hinge clip things if you need it out completely.
Spot on. If you look you"ll see a moulded in plastic spigot on either side that stops the glovebox opening too far. Squeeze the sides in so they slip past the retaining edge on the fascia and then lower the glovebox until it can be pulled away from the pivot points. Easy once you know how.

I had mine off only yesterday to look at a problem with my central locking. Have a search for the happy outcome, reported on the relevant tbread.

Edit: here's the thread in case it helps.

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... 1&start=15
Signof4
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Signof4 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:07 pm

Thanks all
I'll give it a go tomorrow after checking out the central locking thread and report back if I find anything interesting.

Steve
Signof4
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Signof4 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:38 pm

Hi
Got the glove compartment drawer off - no problem after following your advice. However, I could find no loose wiring.
Following the link you provided, I checked the wiring loom in the driver's side door and found it was damp after all the rain we've had presumably. I wiggled it about a bit, shook off some water, and the central locking is now working. I suspect this fix may be only temporary as the wiring flexes each time the door is opened and closed.
Do you have any advice/tips for securing the wiring? It looks a bit fiddly.

Cheers
Steve
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:00 pm

Its very common for the flexing of the door loom at the hinge to work harden the wires which then snap inside the insulation giving intermittent working, eventually the insulation also snaps and then various functions will stop working! It can be repaired by unwrapping the protection finding the snapped wire and rejoining them with butt connectors, but be aware that several others might go over time as well once they have started going!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:55 am

Be VERY gentle mind, one of the spigots on mine snapped off very easily
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:29 am

g8dhe wrote:Its very common for the flexing of the door loom at the hinge to work harden the wires which then snap inside the insulation giving intermittent working, eventually the insulation also snaps and then various functions will stop working! It can be repaired by unwrapping the protection finding the snapped wire and rejoining them with butt connectors, but be aware that several others might go over time as well once they have started going!
Would soldering and heatshrink insulation be possible and more compact and reliable? Or is the area too confined for that?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:31 pm

Depends on how many are broken! If there are lots then yes soldering and heat shrink insulation is best answer as it makes a thinner more compact joint, if its a just a couple then this style of heat shrink & solder butt connector is quick and easy. Just make sure the exposed copper is clean! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterproof-Sold ... connectors

Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:38 pm

Hi
Mike
I kept my loom going for years by stripping the insulation, soldering and heat-shrink tube, but eventually got a loom from the club shop...
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:10 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi
Mike
I kept my loom going for years by stripping the insulation, soldering and heat-shrink tube, but eventually got a loom from the club shop...
Cheers
Helen
Geoff - thanks for that advice.

Helen - ha ha yes, I opted to get a new loom rather than investigate. In the end it seems the loom wasn't at fault but I regard it as a 'when not if' investment anyway and at least I have the old loom to do research on etc.

Return to “Techie Stuff”