Oil filter on too tight

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Oil filter on too tight

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:51 pm

Was thinking of oil change tomorrow morning and thought a too tight filter could be a spanner in the proceedings. (First time for speed I got a local garage to do oil and filter, did subsequent change myself last year, but not the filter as only had done 3K miles) I always thought they should be as hard as possible by hand. Anyway I cannot get mine off with some rubber palmed gloves even with cracking wrists trying to turn it.

Not the end of the world but could have done without having to pop down to garage next week that put it on for them to loosen it off.

I am correct am I not ? Should be hand tight, not "break the torque wrench/filter tool" tight.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Oil filter on too tight

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:12 pm

BongoBongo123 wrote:Was thinking of oil change tomorrow morning and thought a too tight filter could be a spanner in the proceedings. (First time for speed I got a local garage to do oil and filter, did subsequent change myself last year, but not the filter as only had done 3K miles) I always thought they should be as hard as possible by hand. Anyway I cannot get mine off with some rubber palmed gloves even with cracking wrists trying to turn it.

Not the end of the world but could have done without having to pop down to garage next week that put it on for them to loosen it off.

I am correct am I not ? Should be hand tight, not "break the torque wrench/filter tool" tight.
I've always tightened mine by hand as per instructions and never had a problem undoing them at a later date. Something sounds overtightened.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:42 pm

Might be worth the few quid for a suitable removal tool if you plan to do it regularly.

Several types available, or the old trick was to push a large screwdriver through it. 8)
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:32 pm

I think Brake fluid and coolant change is going to happen one month earlier than anticipated and get the Bongo mechanic to loosen off for me. If I had tightened it last the oil change would be going ahead without the need for tools other than rubber gloves.

I suppose garages are damned if they don't tighten it and it falls off and damned if they do and you cannot get it off with your hands.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:50 pm

Buy a decent tool and you'll be set for any eventualities. Three main types: strap, chain and metal band and as long as you get the correct size one it should undo with no problems (assuming you're following the 'lefty loosy / righty tighty' rule correctly :) )
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:54 pm

That is a jolly good rule, and remember that underneath you're upsydiddlyodes. 8)
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:55 pm

Bob wrote:Might be worth the few quid for a suitable removal tool if you plan to do it regularly.

Several types available, or the old trick was to push a large screwdriver through it. 8)
I had to get a filter removal tool to do mine. Used each time since even though I defo only tighten by hand. Guess that's why these tools exist :D
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Post by the1andonly » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:49 pm

A decent chain tool is usefull for all sizes,
even had to use a chain strap and a big screwdriver
old school can be ok and frightening
blobber
Supreme Being

Post by blobber » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:53 pm

A good leather belt works pretty well as a removal tool.
Alan & Dot

Yes sir, I can Bongo !!

I now walk with an angel by my side.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:37 am

And for other 'purposes' :lol:
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:49 pm

Hi
I've had just about every oil filter wrench on the market over 50 years, straps, chains, socket driven, and the old screw-driver in the side and wet the floor with oil jobbie, used cold chisels, and the best by far is one of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-12-Adjust ... SwAL9UffoJ
Even better still, get the local garage to do it...just paid £53.00 for 7 litres of Elf semi 10-40 and a Bosch filter...fitted....I didn't even wince as I sat in a nice chair and watched TV while it was done!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:06 pm

Get some of this down ye....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCGk_k_lQm4
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:46 pm

Simon Jones wrote:Buy a decent tool and you'll be set for any eventualities. Three main types: strap, chain and metal band and as long as you get the correct size one it should undo with no problems (assuming you're following the 'lefty loosy / righty tighty' rule correctly :) )

I did question myself : ) But yes I was twisting left with very grippy gloves.
the1andonly wrote:A decent chain tool is usefull for all sizes,
even had to use a chain strap and a big screwdriver
old school can be ok and frightening
Is the old school bang a screwdriver through. That won't be happening lol.

This one says it will do up to 120mm but does the design look ok ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OIL-CHAIN-WRE ... xy2CZTW9ID

My new Bosch filter is approx 103mm diameter.

Edit : sorry I saw the one Helen mentioned thanks Helen / Tony ! Get one of each for a tenner, cover all eventualities.

(Maybe the title should be "Man too tight to get right tool for oil filter") :lol:
teenmal wrote:Get some of this down ye....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCGk_k_lQm4
I took ibuprofen to stop a "post oil filter tug forearm flare up"... that is probably the most unmanly thing I have ever said. :lol: It's fine just a little strain, bit sore when I use a mouse, I'll live.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:27 am

Hi
Yes...they're all cheap, and I like the thinking, buy one of each...I'm like that myself!...I have tried all, and most will slip on a filter, because you need grip...the chain has smooth surfaces, so do the straps and belts, (and I usually get someone strong on the twisting)....but those pliers are great because they have teeth, and the harder you twist, the more they dig in...never fail...but now, I take it to the local garage....the guys there are built like little gorillas, and I've watched them take off a set of security locks on alloy wheels in seconds...brute force is an understatement :lol:
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:17 pm

I thought 2 cause A) They won't break the bank and could be usefuil on other cars and B) Access can be a factor. I can bend over and get 2 hands on the filter but imagine the gripper one would only be possible to use from the side of the Bongo. A chain one might have a better chance from above.

Do you normally tackle them from below when too tight for hands ?

If this was hand tight, the Bongo would be the easiest oil change on any vehicle given the easy access to filter and sump nut. You could do it in 20mins if you were in a hurry.(Assuming King Kong did not tighten it down the local garage doing Bongo oil filter thread strength tests !)

Return to “Techie Stuff”