Droning noise

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

bongolow
Bongolier

Droning noise

Post by bongolow » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:49 pm

Hi all

I've developed a droning noise from the front offside (I think). It increases in volume around 35 mph, then decreases when I speed up but increases again around 55-60. Also noticeably louder when going round a left-hand bend.

I suspect a wheel bearing but I've been told it could be a CV joint.

I would normally take it to Adrian in Bury (Alvos Trading) but the trouble is I'm in Caithness at the moment and can't decide whether to chance driving it back to Manchester.

Any suggestions please.
rita
Supreme Being

Re: Droning noise

Post by rita » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:18 pm

I would imagine it would be worthwhile (safer) having the local /nearest garage have a look, not worth guessing or taking unnecessary risks,

Good Luck.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:09 pm

rita wrote:I would imagine it would be worthwhile (safer) having the local /nearest garage have a look, not worth guessing or taking unnecessary risks,

Good Luck.
And should they need guidance then Adrian is usually very good about taking a call from another garage.
Bluespanner
Bongolier

Post by Bluespanner » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:46 pm

Check the power steering fluid level under the drivers seat. I remember mine making a strange noise which I was convinced was the tramission or something similairly serious. The noise increased when turning. The psf bottle was empty... I've used power steering fluid stop leak since and it stopped ever since. ( I really must get that sorted properly)I've still not quite worked out why its makes such a worrying noise when low on psf.. Its worth having a look first. Good luck
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:47 pm

a droning noise, (very good description) could be prop shaft related, check the center bearing on the front prop, the rubber mount around the bearing can fail, this can lead to the noise coming and going a varying speeds, bearing on uj or wheel bearings tend to be there all the time.

it looks like this on the front prop half way down.

http://www.bongospares.co.uk/shop/drive ... shaft-4x4/.

heres a total fail one.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=suppo ... 3dGdYmk%3D.

if its gone.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=suppo ... 3dGdYmk%3D.
bongolow
Bongolier

Post by bongolow » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:38 pm

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll check them out then if I don't find anything obvious I'll give Adrian a ring for advice.

Happy New Year to all..!

Vince
bongolow
Bongolier

Post by bongolow » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:37 pm

Update -

Had it checked by the local garage in Caithness, and he said it was the wheel bearing (front offside) but the Bongo wasn't on his supplier's list and he wasn't at all convinced they would send the correct part. However, he said that it wasn't serious yet and should be okay to drive home so I took a chance and did so.

Anyway, it got me home without any bother apart from it getting a little noisier and it's booked in with Adrian at Bury next week.

Cheers all.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:57 pm

Well done, thanks for info. :)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:33 pm

bongolow wrote:Update -

Had it checked by the local garage in Caithness, and he said it was the wheel bearing (front offside) but the Bongo wasn't on his supplier's list and he wasn't at all convinced they would send the correct part. However, he said that it wasn't serious yet and should be okay to drive home so I took a chance and did so.

Anyway, it got me home without any bother apart from it getting a little noisier and it's booked in with Adrian at Bury next week.

Cheers all.
Excellent news and thanks+++ for taking time to feedback the report - will help others greatly. Give my regards to Adrian - no doubt I'll see him again before long, Bongos being what they are :lol:
bongolow
Bongolier

Post by bongolow » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:55 pm

Update 2 -

All fixed. New wheel bearing fitted but also the hub was damaged as it had overheated (oops..!), so if you suspect a wheel bearing problem best to get it looked at as soon as possible. Fortunately Adrian had a 2nd-hand one in stock.

Nice and quiet now.... :D :D

Return to “Techie Stuff”