Solar panel

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

bongobaz
Tribal Elder

Solar panel

Post by bongobaz » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:36 am

Right got myself a 100 watt Semi flexible solar panel. How to fix it is the thing.
Do i bond it to the roof if so what to use?
Then the cable issue what cable to buy?
Got a 30 w PMW controller to try but will probably go with the MMPT one when funds allow.
Done searches on here so getting to grips with it all slowly.
Thanks any advice appreciated.
Always be ready for a Top Up!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Solar panel

Post by g8dhe » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:20 pm

If you can keep some airflow over the underside of the panel it can help the efficiency a lot, typically you can lose 10-15% going from 20°C to 30°C, not so easy with a flexible panel however. Again the MPPT can help a lot as well especially at dusk and dawn when the light is lower and at a greater angle to the panel.
Cable, your looking to minimize losses, so always as thick as you can provided it will fit the connectors both ends, current will only be in the region 10Amps but don't use the current rating of the wire as such to determine the gauge to use, better to decide the thickness you can run.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:39 pm

I still wonder whether a demountable panel wouldn't give the best of all worlds. It could be left on the roof if that suited. It could be taken off and set up/moved to maintain optimal angle with the sun when camping. And it could be stored indoors when not required so as to reduce chances of damage, theft, and deterioration. Anyone got any thoughts on that? :roll:
bongobaz
Tribal Elder

Post by bongobaz » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:50 pm

Was thinking about removable. However i connected two ends of the cable i bought 6mm [MC4] connectors
to see how they worked and couldn't get them apart again. Tried squeezing and pulling prizing and tugging to no
avail. pulled cable out of connector in the end so not a good start.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:57 pm

The problem with demountable types will be a bigger risk of theft when deployed! Also depending on your style of travel demounting can be an annoying feature, your going to need longer cables when on the ground then when fixed to the roof, so will you plug extra cables lengths on, also on a raised AFT the angle is pretty good for the UK! and how many people pop out every few hours to adjust the sun facing aspect. I did think about these factors when planning mine and decided that keeping it simple has many more benefits then having the flexibility to fiddle!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:06 pm

g8dhe wrote:The problem with demountable types will be a bigger risk of theft when deployed! Also depending on your style of travel demounting can be an annoying feature, your going to need longer cables when on the ground then when fixed to the roof, so will you plug extra cables lengths on, also on a raised AFT the angle is pretty good for the UK! and how many people pop out every few hours to adjust the sun facing aspect. I did think about these factors when planning mine and decided that keeping it simple has many more benefits then having the flexibility to fiddle!
Good post - especially the last bit as if you've considered it and not bothered then it says something. Mind you, I think securing a demountable shouldn't be hard, and can you be sure of getting a pitch that is optimally arranged for the sun, as that makes a big difference. And secure and indoors when at home is relevant for longevity and for theft, as that or non-campsite situation's is where it will be at most risk. But simplicity and convenience are strong arguing points. A lockable adjustable roof cradle could be interesting - shall we ask New Dawn Conversions if they'll consider offering one ;-)
JoeC
Bongolier

Post by JoeC » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:45 pm

I was looking at mounting a flexi panel onto the same corner/straight/spoiler mounts that you use for the rigid type. That way you not only get air flow underneath but if the panel should need replacing then you only have to remove it from the mounts and not from the roof itself.
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:37 pm

I got a 100w foldable / suitcase one
And decided to leave it un fixed
As didn't want it outside all winter
And I can use it on the caravan or me bongo or for me workshop where I have a 260 Amh battery for lights and radio etc

I have fixings on me caravan roof which I use a couple of bungi straps to hold it down
When using for me bongo I put it on floor and chain padlock it to wheel

I have a few of them connectors with different lengths of cable for caravan or bongo and some with crocodile clips on for charging other people's caravans ( you have to push 2 tabs in to release them )

I have a couple of very cheap mppt charge controllers ( so probaly not real mpppt ) but using it for a week with tv , DVD player , lights , big radio sound system , charging 5/6 phones and 3-4 tablets in me caravan
I went home with more charge than I arrived with
So I will not bother getting a proper mpppt charge controller as the current one puts more charge in then I can take out of it
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
bongobaz
Tribal Elder

Post by bongobaz » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:46 pm

Had fun today panel i've got is too big for the roof> How i laughed will go down the unatatched route.
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:01 pm

bongobaz wrote:Had fun today panel i've got is too big for the roof> How i laughed will go down the unatatched route.
Oh dear.
And I was just about to say Sikaflex 512 for bonding
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:17 pm

how big is the panel if its to big for a bongo roof :shock: :shock: :shock: :wink:
bongobaz
Tribal Elder

Post by bongobaz » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:27 pm

4Ft by 2FT it overhangs the sun roof by about 4in
and across the other way about 1in overhanging either side.
Had to laugh.
bongobaz
Tribal Elder

Post by bongobaz » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:44 pm

Going to use panel on sites for more than a nights camping so its going on the roof with bungees on roof bars.
Is there a correct order to connect to controller and battery.
Should it be fused and if so where.
This is plan c by the way as some numpty ordered a panel too big.
Also thought stick inside front screen with suction cups.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:26 pm

I was wondering about a similar solution.

I have the New dawn roof bars with a narrow long roof box mounted (some of the time).

I was tempted to try and find a long thin panel to mount alongside the roof box on the roof rack, but was worried about how to fix it on. The cross bars bow down with weight in the box.

Would it be a good place to mount a semi permanent solar panel - wouldn't plan on taking it off but would like it to be bolted on or similar.
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:32 pm

bongobaz wrote:Going to use panel on sites for more than a nights camping so its going on the roof with bungees on roof bars.
Is there a correct order to connect to controller and battery.
Should it be fused and if so where.
This is plan c by the way as some numpty ordered a panel too big.
Also thought stick inside front screen with suction cups.
Hi baz
Take it the numpty is you :)
The controller should be connected to the leisure battery first and then to the panel.
Fuses. I put fuses in both positive wires, ie from the panel to the controller and controller to the battery. Probably not really necessary but I don't want any problems if something should short out. Some controllers also have an internal fuse.
Bungy onto the roof should work OK. Assuming you're stopped of course. #-o
I was going to Sikaflex our panel onto the roof but now after having a panel fail earlier this year decided not to as it would be a real PITA to get off and make a mess of the roof. Ours is on an alloy frame bolted to the roof.
Are you still up for Tan Hill?? Can have a look at the panel then if you are.

Return to “Techie Stuff”