Interior light led swap

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Spencer54
Bongolier

Interior light led swap

Post by Spencer54 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:46 pm

Just got back from a few days in the new forest and the rear flourescent bulb is driving me mad.
So two questions how do I get the cover off to change the bulb and what led can I change it to.

Thanks
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Interior light led swap

Post by g8dhe » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:55 pm

The base has two prise points around the edge to help get the cover off, there are two styles the older straight fluorescent tube and the later "U" type tube, the covers vary as well. If you have the "U" type tube then below applies for changing to LED, click for all the images!;

You can also get replacement LED tubes but they aren't as efficient and availability is limited.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:20 pm

The conversion itself is simple enough using Geoff's guide. The LED COB Panel costs under £2 from HK/China.

I made a further modification to mount it securely and to keep the heat away from the lens:

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... =3&t=70305
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:54 am

Spencer54 wrote:Just got back from a few days in the new forest and the rear flourescent bulb is driving me mad.
So two questions how do I get the cover off to change the bulb and what led can I change it to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0DenImmvQg

Thanks
Spencer54
Bongolier

Post by Spencer54 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:29 pm

Mine is the old style single length one, by the time its warmed up I'm on my way home LOL

I have that Cob light already but couldn't work out how to get the cover off so gave up.
Then realised mine wasn't the U type.

Where do I prise the old one off from?

Seen the Vid Thanks!
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Post by wonkanoby » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:59 pm

Gdlee1976
Bongonaut

Post by Gdlee1976 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:08 pm

So will this same style LED panel work for the long (non U shape) light?? Seems I've also seen people use 2 of the 36 LED panel together in the same housing. Anything special that needs to be done there? Thanks!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:13 pm

Yes, but the wiring is a little different, I don't have an old style board to take photo's of so can't show you what needs to be done in as much detail.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:24 pm

If you have the old skool single fluorescent tube type, bung one of these in.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C ... ge_o02_s00

Derek
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:17 pm

Dr Fingers wrote:If you have the old skool single fluorescent tube type, bung one of these in.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C ... ge_o02_s00

Derek
Wow. Is that just a straightforward swap into the standard unit and does it improve the lighting by a useful amount? Interested if so.

P.s. just read Amazon reviews and answers seem to be yes and yes although one or two reports of them not lasting long, which I have often found a concern with cheap LED products. My fluorescent tube is not at all bad I find, provided contacts are clean.
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:56 pm

Some don't last long, but the one I have posted above seems to be holding ok. Definite improvement over standard tube, IMO.
If you really want to light up the van, get a 3m strip of leds, run them round the cabin and hook them up to the rear N/S boot light. I have added a 12v dimmer as well, cause the LED's are really bright. :D :D

Derek
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:13 pm

Dr Fingers wrote:Some don't last long, but the one I have posted above seems to be holding ok. Definite improvement over standard tube, IMO.
If you really want to light up the van, get a 3m strip of leds, run them round the cabin and hook them up to the rear N/S boot light. I have added a 12v dimmer as well, cause the LED's are really bright. :D :D

Derek
Cheers Doc. At £10 a pop I think I might have a flutter ;-)
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:58 pm

I've literally just today changed over the front cabin lights and the rear boot light to LED COB panels. I think I'm going to try the above link for the main light instead though as the COBs aren't the nicest light tone. I'm having one issue with the rear boot light though, when the boot is closed it is emitting a slight amount of light still. I'm wondering would it run down my LB or would it only be using a tiny bit of power?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:21 pm

Alkers wrote:I've literally just today changed over the front cabin lights and the rear boot light to LED COB panels. I think I'm going to try the above link for the main light instead though as the COBs aren't the nicest light tone. I'm having one issue with the rear boot light though, when the boot is closed it is emitting a slight amount of light still. I'm wondering would it run down my LB or would it only be using a tiny bit of power?
That's why I went back to original filament cab lights - I got fed up of seeing them glowing dimly when they should be off and since the battery showed no signs of any current drain I preferred not to keep feeling spooked for no good reason. Its weird having yellow light back in the cab again after having LEDs in for several years - a bit like being back in the 1970s :lol:
dblake
Bongolier

Post by dblake » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:55 am

Was considering changing my centre bulb for LED but unsure of the procedure/complexity so the Amazon LED bulb is a great spot. =D>

What made me consider it was the centre light occasionally not coming on; would be working fine when switched to the on position but then the next time wouldnt come on at all (generally i have the switch set to off rather than door as I dont carry passengers most of the time and even less so at night).

Is this how these bulbs tend to 'go'? Increased unreliability in starting up?
Or is this more likely to be a dodgy switch?

Return to “Techie Stuff”