Mystery metal thing

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

David Edwards
Supreme Being

Mystery metal thing

Post by David Edwards » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:04 am

Since we seem to be in the " what is it frame" I have a question as well, on the end or the runner for the middle row nearest the drivers seat I have what looks like a triangle of metal, one piece looks like a screwdriver end with a small hook and holes in it. It is attched to the runner by a strap. I have looked on the seat runner and there is a small metal bar that sticks out sideways, I hope someone knows what I mean, if I can get hold of my computer wizard son I will try and post a piccy. Any help would be appreciated. In three years ownership it has baffled me. Happy motoring
chris-m
Bongonaut

Post by chris-m » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:38 am

Yes I have been wondering about this as well.
I found a previous post "sliding seats" posted May 2006

"You are supposed to lock the seat in position and normally the device in your fair hand is attached on a cord/chain.

This is one of the few useful things mentioned in the Bongo Manual. "
All Black 1997 Ford Freda 2.5 diesel
Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:12 pm

Moi aussi!.
Only mine is attached to the rear row of seats. I always wondered how one was meant to use it. I did realize it was some sort of seat lock but cannot work out it modus operandii.
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:14 pm

That's great Chris thanks, when you say its mentioned in the manual do you mean the little handbook or the manual bought from the club, I have searched thru both but can't see anything. Cheers.
chris-m
Bongonaut

Post by chris-m » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:50 pm

Hi David -
The bit about the manual - I was quoting from the original Post.
I have one of the Owners manuals from Import solutions, and can't find any reference to it in there either. But I did discover early on, that you have to remove the mystery bracket from the seat rail in order to get the seat far enough forward - to get it to fold flat up against the rear seats. So I just left it tucked up out of the way ever since.

Can anyone tell me how to incude a link to a previous posts into a new post? I have seen other people have managed it, but can't work out how to do it.
All Black 1997 Ford Freda 2.5 diesel
Bonza

Post by Bonza » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:44 pm

Is it this bit?
Found it anchored to a seat rail
Veg_Ian

Post by Veg_Ian » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:50 pm

I'v got one of those plus another wierd looking lump of metal. I removed them when I took the seats out to clean everything when I first got the van. I'm assuming they are there to stop the seats going off the rails but I found them more of a bloody nuisance so didn't replace them. (I've not lost a passenger yet BTW) :)
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:46 pm

That's the one, that's the very one, as Billy Connolly says. Is it still for the purpose described above or has someone any other idea. Happy motoring.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:26 pm

As Veg_Ian says, theres another one at the rear of the track. This seems to stop the rear seat sliding to the end of the runner, which would cause the tailgate to hit the seat if the back was upright. Can't figure out the front one though.
Kentish Paul
Bongolier

Post by Kentish Paul » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:29 am

The manual has an illustration as to its use but I have no time to scan and upload it. Basically, the end with the flange sist in the seat runner track and the end with the round hole is screwed to the floor using the supplied bolt (long gone in most Bongos no doubt) which is tightened with a coin.

This locls the seats in place. Heath-Robinson or what?
Bongo National Party - The law-abiding should have rights too!

Return to “Techie Stuff”