Power steering Top pinion oil seal... at last

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Power steering Top pinion oil seal... at last

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:04 pm

i also used the drill and screw method to remove the seal.

just one major point, is you bongo a drivers airbag model, if it is dont push up the steering shaft when removing the bottom steering universal joint, if you do you may disturb the self cancelling on the indicators or worse, knacker the clock spring on the air bag.

read this it may help.

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... ng#p651229
aquatix
Junior Bongonaut

Post by aquatix » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:55 am

Unfortunately not heard back from Mike yet. He may be away / busy but does anyone know him well enough to give him a shout ? I'm stranded without the seal as its almost undriveable without power steering ....

All fantastic advice, and I've got a spring puller ready. I know there are lots of other things to check but apart from this it drives & handles fine. Would cost a fortune to replace everything with any age related wear & tear. Replacing the seal in situ saves worrying about rod ends, tracking, ball joints etc until they actually need it. If I had the money I'd just replace the whole rack, pump and everything else to be sure, but no need at this stage. (hopefully) .... :|
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:55 am

aquatix wrote:Unfortunately not heard back from Mike yet. He may be away / busy but does anyone know him well enough to give him a shout ? I'm stranded without the seal as its almost undriveable without power steering ....

All fantastic advice, and I've got a spring puller ready. I know there are lots of other things to check but apart from this it drives & handles fine. Would cost a fortune to replace everything with any age related wear & tear. Replacing the seal in situ saves worrying about rod ends, tracking, ball joints etc until they actually need it. If I had the money I'd just replace the whole rack, pump and everything else to be sure, but no need at this stage. (hopefully) .... :|
Will PM you
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:52 am

This might help you....

http://sglclassicarservices.blogspot.co.uk/

Good Luck
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:18 am

aquatix wrote:Unfortunately not heard back from Mike yet. He may be away / busy but does anyone know him well enough to give him a shout ? I'm stranded without the seal as its almost undriveable without power steering ....

PMd Mike via FB .. Glad he as sorted you ..!!
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
aquatix
Junior Bongonaut

Post by aquatix » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:22 pm

mikeWalsall wrote: PMd Mike via FB .. Glad he as sorted you ..!!
Yes, got a text back from Mike, courtesy of Mike (mikeonb4c) - so hopefully all sorted now ...... well, at least the getting a seal part ! :wink: All thanks to great forum support !!

Wonder if anyone will offer to lie on their back on cold concrete, probably in drizzle, with steering fluid dripping in their eyes whist cursing at a stubborn seal, with sore hands from slipping off frozen spanners ???? :lol:
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:09 pm

Run your engine for a few minutes before you start .. warms up the working environment a bit ..!!
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Mountshannonman
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Mountshannonman » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:20 am

Hi All,
Priceless, all the advise you’ve shared here. I’m a recent Bongo owner. I stopped one on the way to the graveyard as a bit of a restoration project. While replacing a CV joint yesterday, I spotted a leak from the top of the rack and suspect a leaking pinion seal. I’m aware this is an older post, but I’m hoping one of you would be willing to share where I could buy one of these seals, to save me buying the whole kit.
Thanks again for all the good info.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:01 am

You need Mike Gough, he tries to keep a small stock of the top seals alone I know he is waiting for some to come in at the moment.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Mountshannonman
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Mountshannonman » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:59 pm

Thanks g8dhe.
I’ll try get in touch with him
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:11 pm

Yup its mikexgough, more active at present on FB see here https://www.facebook.com/groups/MazdaBo ... 745035733/
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Mountshannonman
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Mountshannonman » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:13 pm

Life seems to be telling me I need to register with Facebook again. Going to fight it though. Will try PM him first, thanks for the info
Gripped
Bongolier

Post by Gripped » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:34 pm

Evening all

I'm in the same boat now (there's nearly enough PAS oil on my drive to use a boat #-o ), so I'd love to get hold of an oil seal.

I've PM'd Mr G and tried on FB too. If anyone knows if he's unavailable for a while, then please PM me - would be v grateful.

Cheers
Bonneville
Bongolier

Post by Bonneville » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:10 am

Is this a regular rotary shaft seal or something weird? Does anyone have a picture or does it have numbers printed on it like 12 41 6 R23?
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:59 am

More are on the way...... the last 2 batches sold out in 4 days.....
Should be here by the end of the week..... 3 already sold before they have got here....
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic

Return to “Techie Stuff”