Full Service Guide (V6)

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

wildrobot
Bongonaut

Full Service Guide (V6)

Post by wildrobot » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:44 pm

Hello, I would like to give my V6 '98 Bongo a full service, i've had it for a year, love it! I did a bit of work on my Volvo 740 (waterpump replacement and oil change) but i have never done a full service before.

Is there somewhere with instructions of how to do this, i've searched the forum but can't seem to find a previous post of this nature (which seems odd!). Can't seem to find a youtube video either

I've read a lot of poor reviews of the expensive manual so reluctant to purchase this too.

Will i need any special tools to carry this out?

Many thanks

Andy
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Full Service Guide (V6)

Post by g8dhe » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:33 pm

There are a couple of Factsheets in the Clubs members area that relate to petrol and V6 service schedules.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:56 am

If you change the dizzy cap .. rotor and leads that can be a fiddly job but quite do-able ..

Note though .. if you decide to flush out the cooling system make sure you now how to fully bleed air out of the system when you replace the coolant..

The rest is completely straight forward and there are no nasty surprises ..as an example .. I reckon changing the six NGK BKR5E 11 spark plugs are far easier than on many other motors .. in fact my 12 year old grandson could do them in around 15 minutes...

Once again the engine oil / filter and air filter are all 'childs play' to change ..

My V6 has a sump drain bolt for the auto transmission .. some don't .. but what ever .. it is quite easy and a lot better to 'drop' the sump and clean it and the metal micro mesh valve block filter (I put them in the dishwasher) and check for / clean any metal 'swarf' from the magnet.. remember though draining the Dexron3 fluid from the sump, changes less than half, as there is more fluid in the torque converter than in the sump ..

The 24 'tappets' are are hydraulic / self adjusting so nothing to be done there ..

Four wheel disc brakes are similar to most cars and relatively easy to clean / change the pads .. the rear discs need to come of if you want to clean / adjust the hand brake .. but all do-able with no special tools ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
wildrobot
Bongonaut

Post by wildrobot » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:39 am

Thanks for your help,

i've bought on of these service kits http://www.mazdabongo.com/catalog/filte ... ervice-kit

I just feel like i'm going into it blind, like how much to tighten the spark plugs, little things like that. The kit comes with Fuel Treatment and Engine Flush, i have no idea what to do with these (maybe there is instructions on the back of the bottle!)
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:38 am

I always get my bits individually as I reckon it may work out cheaper .. (six NGK plugs are usualy around £10 and although semi is fine .. I always use fully synthetic oil

But there again I suppose it's handy to get an hassle free 'all together kit' ..

To the book you are supposed to torque .. every .. nut 'n bolt .. including spark plugs .. dunno any body who does though ..

The plugs are down a 'long' tube so use a rubber lined spark plug socket that will 'grip' the plug ..

The plugs are pre gapped to 1.1 mm but maybe prudent to check .. I use a small dab of anti seize on there threads and fit the plug in the rubber lined socket to 'feed' it down the tube ..

Be 110% certain the plug is centralised to the hole in head .. screw it down by hand until it 'seats' .. then finally nip it up with the ratchet .. be sure not over tighten..

Air filter lid is held on with spring clips (some times need a a screw driver for a bit of leverage to release them) .. the old element just lifts out ..

The engine oil dip stick is by the Dizzy .. the tranny dip stick is by the oil filler cap .. (yes .. some have dipped the tranny thinking it's the engine oil) .. also remember the tranny fluid is checked with the engine running ...

JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
wildrobot
Bongonaut

Post by wildrobot » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:50 pm

Thanks for all your help, i'm doing it today with a road trip planned tomorrow. Bongo Clinic came in really useful too :)

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/fox_archives5.htm
windywatson
Tribal Elder

Post by windywatson » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:20 pm

Hi, hope service went ok. You mentioned the cost of & the poor reports about the service manuals for the van. I agree that the quality may be lacking a little, but they have been translated from the original Japanese ones so perhaps a little has been lost in translation. However they are a mine of information & have been a great help to my garage when major work has been carried out. So yes expensive, but perhaps a good investment.
One thing that may be a cheap but worth while job when servicing the V6 is to fit new rocker cover bolt seals. Those little round washers with rubber washers on their underside along the top edges of the covers as they can become leaky & whilst not critical do make the top end of the engine a bit unsightly as the oil does seem to go along way for a small amount.

Cheers
Windy-Watson
2001 V6 Tin Top
Brownz
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Brownz » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:05 pm

Does anyone actually know the official figure for the torque setting for the spark plugs ?

Been searching but can't find a definitive answer.

Just nipping it up isn't an option in my OCD world ! ;-)
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:26 pm

OE BP01-18-110: Spark Plug
Spanner size: 16
Article №: 686S0009
Spanner Size:
Outer thread [mm]:
Thread Length [mm]:
Spark Position [mm]:
Thread Pitch [mm]:
Electrode Gap [mm]:
Tightening Torque [Nm]:
Number of Poles:
Tightening angle [degrees]:
Brownz
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Brownz » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:59 pm

Cool, ta - 20 ft lbs give or take. What I thought, but just couldn't find it anywhere !

Any hints for removing the rocker covers, drivers side 4 cap nuts, 6 shouldered nuts, 2 bolts on the belt cover, cannae shift it at all, maybe not enough oomph in the right place !? ;-)
cwilliams255
Bongolier

Post by cwilliams255 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:50 pm

The rocker cover bolts should be 4nm of something, basically hand tight, anymore and chances are something will have been snapped as I found on mine. Should only be instant gasket on the sharp angled edges of the cam half moon type thing at from end (clearly the correct technical term :D ) If your covers aren’t shifting then I’d guess lots of instant gasket used and will need a bit of very careful work to free it up. Drivers side is difficult to get out once freed up too, had to loosen off / move some fuel pipes out of the way from what I remember, bongo spares recommended loosening plenum but others have advised against as it can lead to more problems

Return to “Techie Stuff”