Alternative Part For Aircon Tank / Receiver Drier

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

moss_b
Bongonaut

Alternative Part For Aircon Tank / Receiver Drier

Post by moss_b » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:11 pm

Hi,

Just had a visit from the aircon engineer. He found a leak on the top of the tank (aka receiver drier). Part #61-500 / S09A61500 in this diagram:
http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... 1of02.html.

This part is listed on Ian's Parts No Longer Available page, so I wondered if anyone knows of an alternative part, just in case the aircon guy can't find one.

I can find something that looks to be a similar part: NRF 33125 which fits Mazda 323, 626 and Premacy models and details the following OE / OEM numbers:
B02H61500A, B02H61500B, B02H61500C, B02H61500D, B33D61500A, BJ3D61500A, BK2J61500A, GE4T61500A, GE9E61500, HG5461500B, MZD150, 8FT351195451, 8FT351197071, 95345

Does anyone know if this or something else will be suitable?

Many thanks

Martin
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Re: Alternative Part For Aircon Tank / Receiver Drier

Post by helen&tony » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:49 am

Hi
Breakers yard....George at Bongospares...
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
moss_b
Bongonaut

Post by moss_b » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:19 am

Thanks for the response Helen.

In this case the breakers yard will be the last resort, as an old unit will not be as effective at filtering system debris or moisture. But it may come to that if I can't find an alternative.

Cheers

Martin
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:20 am

Just had my AC regassed and was advised to replace the receiver/dryer on the basis that they absorb moisture which is vital to prevent refrigerant and water turning combining to make acid which wrecks the system. He was unable to trace a replacement in the time available, but I'm planning on doing some further research when I get the chance. In theory, a similar vintage Mazda unit could well be compatible.

The downside of fitting a used one, is that it contains a moisture-absorbing desiccant so it will already be at least partly 'used' and once it is removed from the vehicle and open to the air it will absorb more moisture. They also tend to accumulate all the debris from the system such as any metal fragments from the compressor. It may be possible to pop one in the airing cupboard and dry it out but further investigation is required to see if this would work.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:32 am

You'd think this might be a relatively standard part as its hard to believe they'd make something exclusively for the Bongo if it could be avoided. I'll be interested to see how this thread develops as I'd like to maintain working aircon in my Bongo whilst I have have it. If we find out anything useful, is there a good place on BF we can put the information so others may find it as and when they encounter an aircon problem?
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:09 am

Hi
Ah...then I wonder if it's at all possible to get a universal unit. ?...When I had the Jag, the main dealer said that as they weren't original equipment, the A/C units on Jags were all fitted at customer order...whether that's still true, I don't know....SO....it rather suggests that if as Jag said, that they were fitted, or at least supplied by specific A/C agents, then I reckon there must be a relatively universal set of fitments...probably according to size of the system?
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:14 am

helen&tony wrote:Hi
Ah...then I wonder if it's at all possible to get a universal unit. ?...When I had the Jag, the main dealer said that as they weren't original equipment, the A/C units on Jags were all fitted at customer order...whether that's still true, I don't know....SO....it rather suggests that if as Jag said, that they were fitted, or at least supplied by specific A/C agents, then I reckon there must be a relatively universal set of fitments...probably according to size of the system?
Cheers
Helen
I saddens me that Mazda HQ didn't reply to an email I sent them years ago asking if they could offer a little technical support to the growing population of UK Bongo owners. Think about how the Beetle and the Type 2 have contributed to the brand perception of VW. Mazda have a not dissimilar opportunity in front of them, if they care to work it. Hey ho. Maybe we should try again? Several years on, I see they have a facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/mazdacom Perhaps if we start bombarding that with Bongo stuff? ;-)
moss_b
Bongonaut

Post by moss_b » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:16 pm

I've ordered an aftermarket part listed as being compatible with other Mazda models. Dimensions and connection configurations look to be the same as the one I have fitted. I'll report back once I get the part and the fitter returns.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:18 pm

moss_b wrote:I've ordered an aftermarket part listed as being compatible with other Mazda models. Dimensions and connection configurations look to be the same as the one I have fitted. I'll report back once I get the part and the fitter returns.
Excellent - really look forward to getting your update. What did the part cost?
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:29 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
Cheers
Helen
I saddens me that Mazda HQ didn't reply to an email I sent them years ago asking if they could offer a little technical support to the growing population of UK Bongo owners. Think about how the Beetle and the Type 2 have contributed to the brand perception of VW. Mazda have a not dissimilar opportunity in front of them, if they care to work it. Hey ho. Maybe we should try again? Several years on, I see they have a facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/mazdacom Perhaps if we start bombarding that with Bongo stuff? ;-)

Hi Mike
Strange...I have had quite a lot of help from Mazda in the past, over exporting to the EU, and a recall way back...Maybe it's a policy change somewhere along the line regarding older models???
Cheers
Helen
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:34 pm

helen&tony wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:
Cheers
Helen

Hi Mike
Strange...I have had quite a lot of help from Mazda in the past, over exporting to the EU, and a recall way back...Maybe it's a policy change somewhere along the line regarding older models???
Cheers
Helen
Well this was just one email to their Japan HQ 9 years ago, so its not as though I persisted. :lol:

Have you thought about using the line of communication you've established with Mazda to see if they might make an interest in offering a tech support contact for Bongo Fury members. Could be a very interesting initiative if they could be persuaded to take an interest :roll:
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:12 pm

Hi
Mike...It was a few years back , now...The recall one was in 2005 that I contacted...the issue of the front propshaft bearing...latterly, I mailed them over exporting, but that was maybe 4 years back...2 different departments...but...that's not a bad idea asking for technical help, or at least a hot-line to the company via named club officials....Give me a week or so, as I have a number of personal and medical issues on the front burner, then I'll mail Mazda...I might send a first contact note to let them know in the meantime, though!
Cheers
Helen
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:08 pm

Mike...It was a few years back , now...The recall one was in 2005 that I contacted...the issue of the front propshaft bearing...latterly, I mailed them over exporting, but that was maybe 4 years back...2 different departments...but...that's not a bad idea asking for technical help, or at least a hot-line to the company via named club officials....Give me a week or so, as I have a number of personal and medical issues on the front burner, then I'll mail Mazda...I might send a first contact note to let them know in the meantime, though!
Cheers
Helen
Excellent Helen. Try saying you are writing on behalf of the 15k+ owners of Bongos/Fredas in the UK, many of whom are Bongo Fury members. And add we'd like to help Mazda raise their brand perception similar to that of VW, using their rapidly becoming a classic design Bongo as the vehicle for doing that. Might get their attention ;-)
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:45 am

Hi Mike
Oh, yes, Done that elsewhere....nothing like a bit of "buttering up" :roll: :lol: :lol: ...., and Mazda are well aware of "Bongo Fury"....not too sure that they are aware that Bongos have become so sought after in the last 2 years, though....
Cheers
Helen
Robert_P
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Robert_P » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:39 pm

Just had drier/receiver replaced and looks like mentioned here before part no HELLA: 8FT351197071 fits (any equivalets should too) , in general its for mazda 323 or 626.

http://robcomcorp.pl/bongo/aircon/hella00.jpg
http://robcomcorp.pl/bongo/aircon/hella01.jpg
http://robcomcorp.pl/bongo/aircon/hella02.jpg
http://robcomcorp.pl/bongo/aircon/hella03.jpg
http://robcomcorp.pl/bongo/aircon/old.jpg

Return to “Techie Stuff”