Alternative Part For Aircon Tank / Receiver Drier

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Re: Alternative Part For Aircon Tank / Receiver Drier

Post by TheLongRoad » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:52 pm

My a/c is being regassed next week, out of interest where did you get the HELLA: 8FT351197071 and what's the approx cost?
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
Robert_P
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Robert_P » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:55 pm

TheLongRoad wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:52 pm My a/c is being regassed next week, out of interest where did you get the HELLA: 8FT351197071 and what's the approx cost?
As mentioned this part fits Mazda 323 or 626 so plenty sources to go for it or its equivalent - i.e.ebay,
I've paid around £17 for it delivered and was told that isn't listed to fit Bongo but was fitted by my mechanic without issue.
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:28 pm

Robert_P wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:55 pm
TheLongRoad wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:52 pm My a/c is being regassed next week, out of interest where did you get the HELLA: 8FT351197071 and what's the approx cost?
As mentioned this part fits Mazda 323 or 626 so plenty sources to go for it or its equivalent - i.e.ebay,
I've paid around £17 for it delivered and was told that isn't listed to fit Bongo but was fitted by my mechanic without issue.
Ta, thanks for info.
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:39 am

This information on the drier is excellent news ! Thank you very much .
I'm now wondering if the condenser from a 323 or 626 or any other Mazda will fit the bongo , anyone have any info on this as it would really help ?
One of the big Selling points for me buying a bongo was the fact that it had AC a standard \:D/
Keep up the good work
Brian
cwilliams255
Bongolier

Post by cwilliams255 » Fri May 31, 2019 7:38 pm

Whilst this is an old thread I used it for reference recently when doing some work on my aircon which involved replacing the receiver drier. I purchased the HELLA: 8FT351197071 which others have said is compatible.

Now, whilst it does appear to be 'compatible', it also appears to be the wrong way round compared to the original. My understanding is that from the condenser it should go to the open side that contains the filters etc and then the coolant is forced up a internal tube to the 'out' port of the drier. Having taken a look at the internals of one of these, I can't imagine it working that well in reverse. I'm hoping that someone who replaced theirs could come along and enlighten me if it actually worked ok? I've not got too many options eitherway, fit it the wrong way round or fit the 20yr old original and hope for the best
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:56 am

cwilliams255 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 7:38 pm Whilst this is an old thread I used it for reference recently when doing some work on my aircon which involved replacing the receiver drier. I purchased the HELLA: 8FT351197071 which others have said is compatible.

Now, whilst it does appear to be 'compatible', it also appears to be the wrong way round compared to the original. My understanding is that from the condenser it should go to the open side that contains the filters etc and then the coolant is forced up a internal tube to the 'out' port of the drier. Having taken a look at the internals of one of these, I can't imagine it working that well in reverse. I'm hoping that someone who replaced theirs could come along and enlighten me if it actually worked ok? I've not got too many options eitherway, fit it the wrong way round or fit the 20yr old original and hope for the best
This is interesting as I'm in the exact same position , bought one of these driers and fitted it BUT it looked to be , like you say , the wrong way around !
I've yet to regard the system but would love some advice in weather the drier will work or not in this way ?
Thanks in advance
Brian
cwilliams255
Bongolier

Post by cwilliams255 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:27 am

I’d expect the end result would be that the desiccant becomes less effective because the dirt filter will now be after it in the flow. I reckon eventually it will fail. However it’s possible that replacing it every so often might work around this - my original was still the after 20 years!

I did however just manipulate my pipe work gently into place to get it fitted the right way round in the end.
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:54 am

cwilliams255 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:27 am I’d expect the end result would be that the desiccant becomes less effective because the dirt filter will now be after it in the flow. I reckon eventually it will fail. However it’s possible that replacing it every so often might work around this - my original was still the after 20 years!

I did however just manipulate my pipe work gently into place to get it fitted the right way round in the end.
Thanks for the very quick reply :D
Manipulating the pipes sounds like a better plan to me all right .
If I pm'ed you my email address could you send on a photo of you fitted drier as I might try this myself ? I'd really appreciate it !
Thanks in advance
Brian

Return to “Techie Stuff”