The Rust Directory

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Ian
Supreme Being

The Rust Directory

Post by Ian » Wed May 06, 2015 9:21 am

As our Bongo get older inevitably rust starts to appear, first on the rear wheel arches, and then along the sills. But none of this is terminal, the panels and sills can be replaced, it's just a case of knowing who does a good job.

If you have had a good job done on your Bongo by a body shop or garage then recommend them here. Eventually this will be made in to a fact sheet of recommended places to get the work carried out.

I'll start with two recommendations.

1) Ian Taylor (Stoke) www.japcarimport.co.uk
2) Pitstop (Bodmin) http://www.pitstopgs.com/

Any others?
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
sleepwalker
Bongonaut

Re: The Rust Directory

Post by sleepwalker » Wed May 06, 2015 10:47 am

I'd like to recommend the Bongo Body shop in Barnsley. Dave is a bongo fan himself and fixed up and resprayed a few nasty rust patches for me. He also removed all the old cracked decals and sprayed the sides of the aft where the decals were removed. After a machine polish I have a great looking van. You can find the contact details for the Bongo Body shop in the classified section of this site. He was also fixing up some very rotten arches for another customer when I collected my van. Would definitely recommend.
Dave104
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Dave104 » Wed May 06, 2015 11:42 am

Hi we are in Surrey thinking of using Rustmaster in Hatfield? Anyone used them before??
Cheers Dave104
BigPanzer
Tribal Elder

Post by BigPanzer » Wed May 06, 2015 1:08 pm

Hi Dave,

Biggest problem is finding him! He is very well hidden away in a converted barn on a farm, with no signs anywhere. I actually made 2 trips there, the first time in the teeth of the gales last autumn only to find he couldn't do the job because the power lines were down. However he was brill and paid my fuel costs for the wasted trip.
Second time he did a pretty good job, but make sure he drops the spare wheel. I found afterwards that there were one or two bits of overspray, but nothing serious and I had to look quite hard to find any bits he had missed.
When you get it back, pop the inside trim panels off and give it a good coating of the runny stuff round the rear wheel arches and inside the sills and door bottoms and you should keep the tinworm at bay for a long time.
The big question is - would I use him again? Yes I would, but I would like to hear details of others who do a similar job at a similar price to compare before I decided to make the trip again.
Two things you will notice - there is less road noise, and for a few days it will stink.

Peter
New S Wales 2010
Bongonaut

Post by New S Wales 2010 » Wed May 06, 2015 2:39 pm

Just had our arches done in April 2015 by C N Bodyshine in Pontllanfraith (near Caerphilly) in South Wales. Nice job using the usual Mercedes Sprinter arches and a competitive price.

Would recommend. No website but contact details are :

C N Bodyshine, NP12 2DL
[email protected]
07803 082063
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed May 06, 2015 4:11 pm

BigPanzer wrote:Hi Dave,

Biggest problem is finding him! He is very well hidden away in a converted barn on a farm, with no signs anywhere. I actually made 2 trips there, the first time in the teeth of the gales last autumn only to find he couldn't do the job because the power lines were down. However he was brill and paid my fuel costs for the wasted trip.
Second time he did a pretty good job, but make sure he drops the spare wheel. I found afterwards that there were one or two bits of overspray, but nothing serious and I had to look quite hard to find any bits he had missed.
When you get it back, pop the inside trim panels off and give it a good coating of the runny stuff round the rear wheel arches and inside the sills and door bottoms and you should keep the tinworm at bay for a long time.
The big question is - would I use him again? Yes I would, but I would like to hear details of others who do a similar job at a similar price to compare before I decided to make the trip again.
Two things you will notice - there is less road noise, and for a few days it will stink.

Peter
Are we talking about Pitstop?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed May 06, 2015 4:12 pm

Ian wrote:As our Bongo get older inevitably rust starts to appear, first on the rear wheel arches, and then along the sills. But none of this is terminal, the panels and sills can be replaced, it's just a case of knowing who does a good job.

If you have had a good job done on your Bongo by a body shop or garage then recommend them here. Eventually this will be made in to a fact sheet of recommended places to get the work carried out.

I'll start with two recommendations.

1) Ian Taylor (Stoke) http://www.japcarimport.co.uk
2) Pitstop (Bodmin) http://www.pitstopgs.com/

Any others?
Great idea =D>
Jabba's Wheels
Bongonaut

Post by Jabba's Wheels » Wed May 06, 2015 6:48 pm

I've also used the Bongo Bodyshop to get repairs to both rear arches back in March this year. I originally approached Dave to replace the arches, when I showed him the van he talked me out of it and said I only needed local repairs. My van has a side camper van conversion and also LPG to add to the challenge. Another repairer suggested that they would need the camper stuff dismantling before they would consider any welding :shock: . Dave didn't ask for anything removing apart from a Camping Gaz bottle.

His work came with a 12 month warranty - end result looked very good :D .

I do appreciate that at some point in time in the (distant?) future - the dreaded tin worm will make it's presence known again, at which point I'll go back and see what magic Dave
can do.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed May 06, 2015 6:52 pm

Jabba's Wheels wrote:I've also used the Bongo Bodyshop to get repairs to both rear arches back in March this year. I originally approached Dave to replace the arches, when I showed him the van he talked me out of it and said I only needed local repairs. My van has a side camper van conversion and also LPG to add to the challenge. Another repairer suggested that they would need the camper stuff dismantling before they would consider any welding :shock: . Dave didn't ask for anything removing apart from a Camping Gaz bottle.

His work came with a 12 month warranty - end result looked very good :D .

I do appreciate that at some point in time in the (distant?) future - the dreaded tin worm will make it's presence known again, at which point I'll go back and see what magic Dave
can do.
Kloonsy sounds great to me also - I'd like to try him when the time comes.
BigPanzer
Tribal Elder

Post by BigPanzer » Wed May 06, 2015 11:39 pm

Mike -

No, still had the location on my satnav. Just off Coopers Green Lane, which is on the northern outskirts of Hatfield heading roughly towards Welyn. Had it done about 18 months ago, still looking fine.

Peter
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Thu May 07, 2015 1:15 pm

I'll recommend Allans Vehicle Services in Plymouth. :)
Allan has been sorting corrosion and MOT failures due to corrosion, replacing body parts, patching where needed and welding Bongos, Freda and other vehicles for many years. He also underseals them and has done for several years.
(He does not respray vehicles.)
3.) Allans Vehicle Services (Plymouth) http://www.allansvehicleservices.co.uk
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu May 07, 2015 2:03 pm

BigPanzer wrote:Mike -

No, still had the location on my satnav. Just off Coopers Green Lane, which is on the northern outskirts of Hatfield heading roughly towards Welyn. Had it done about 18 months ago, still looking fine.

Peter
Thanks Peter. Ah so its Rustmaster we're talking about? I was thinking with you being in Somerset maybe it was some other place you'd been to #-o
cbeeson
Bongonaut

Post by cbeeson » Thu May 07, 2015 8:42 pm

I've used the Rustmaster branch in Cheshire, near Knutsford. Excellent service, includingn a free inspection and touch-up where necessary every year. Nick has a Bongo himself, which is a good omen.

For rust repairs I've been going to C.A.R.S. on Talbot Street, Fulwood, Preston PR2 3QJ. 01772 715057. Aaron's business comes neatly between the high-cost insurance repair firms and the slightly-dodgy back-street operations. He's done excellent work on the rear wheel arches and a spot of rust at the bottom of the driver's door. Also, when I backed into my half-open gate (blush!) he replaced a corner panel alongside the tailgate, and no-one would know I reckon (except now I've gone and told you). Highly recommended.
Chris, with Arfur Bongo
Dave104
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Dave104 » Thu May 07, 2015 10:02 pm

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. I have booked Bongo in with Dave at Rustmaster Hatfield for 17th May So will keep you posted as to how it goes!!
Cheers
Dave104
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Sat May 09, 2015 8:41 pm

I would recommend Allans in Plymouth
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!

Return to “Techie Stuff”