Battery problem

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

kingbillybongo
Bongolier

Battery problem

Post by kingbillybongo » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:50 am

hi guys
Tried recharging leisure battery but doesn't seem to want to take a charge.went to 11 volts and dropped off quickly so decided to order a new one.
Went to start up today and starter battery is flat,question is dose the leisure battery change over divert back to starter battery if it goes flat while parked up.if so that will explain why my starter battery went flat in a week as I had clocks etc plugged in? I have a willington split charging system!
Thanx in advance.
[color=#0000BF]billybongofreedom[/color]
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Battery problem

Post by g8dhe » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:03 pm

Not in any standard system, would completely make the concept a farce!
Are you sure that your charging OK, if both had gone flat that might indicate a charging problem?
Check at switch on that the Charging (and sediment lamps on a diesel) come on until the engine is started when they should go out. However you could still have a poor connection or corroded fuse that is preventing good charging so check the alternator connections and the 100Amp MAIN fuse (beware its bolted in) as well as battery terminals for any corrosion.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
kingbillybongo
Bongolier

Post by kingbillybongo » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:14 pm

g8dhe wrote:Not in any standard system, would completely make the concept a farce!
Are you sure that your charging OK, if both had gone flat that might indicate a charging problem?
Check at switch on that the Charging (and sediment lamps on a diesel) come on until the engine is started when they should go out. However you could still have a poor connection or corroded fuse that is preventing good charging so check the alternator connections and the 100Amp MAIN fuse (beware its bolted in) as well as battery terminals for any corrosion.
I took the leisure off to charge ,not using bongo at the moment ,it was after refitting last week,went to start this week and dead.alternator is fine and no flashing lights.only prob has been leisure batt not holding a charge.last week after refitting I gave it a run and all was performing ok .alternator was putting out full charge according to my volt meters.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:23 pm

Humm yes, but what caused both the LB and the SB to fail, if the alternator itself is OK- no lamps lit - then it can still be poor charging from the alternator via its connections or in the fuse block with corrosion, it might explain why both have failed at a similar time, but could just be coincidence as well of course!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
kingbillybongo
Bongolier

Post by kingbillybongo » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:43 pm

Not been run all week,went flat whilst parked up.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:05 pm

I would get both batteries charged up and then leave them disconnected for a few days and see what they drop down to. If still in the 12-13V range then it suggests the problem is with something in the van that is draining it. What kind of things are you running of each battery while the ignition is off?
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:56 pm

Return to “Techie Stuff”