Still smokey, but cold start always on

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

lazyb5
Tribal Elder

Still smokey, but cold start always on

Post by lazyb5 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:44 pm

Hi all, well I insured the bongo this weekend and took it for a spin round the village. Great fun and no smoke, lovely I think. On Friday I decided to take the dogs to the kennels in the bongo and at the end of the road I noticed loads of smoke. This continued all the way to the kennels. When I restarted at the kennels it was like the red arrows, on the road it's still smokey but less so. When I got back I lifted both seats and was surprised to find the cold start was still on, I could see the lever was raising the revs slightly. Does the fuel pump have a cold start device which gives more fuel or is it just a Rev raising thing. My temp gauge went to its normal position so I know it was hot. If I'm not overfueling it's either the head or turbo and I fitted a second hand turbo last September. Any help appreciated.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Still smokey, but cold start always on

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:22 pm

have a look at the little on/off plunger at the nipple end of the throttle cable. the usual reason for the cold start solenoid sticking on is that the vac pipe supplying it has sucked flat usually because its got hot and melted, is it fitted with the thick wall vac pipe.

where the thin pipe comes across from the inlet manifold pipe and goes into the top of the pump, under the few screws and plate is a diaphragm and spring, the vac advance, this can get blocked up with engine oil, whip it off and clean it out, it can stop the advance from dropping off.
lazyb5
Tribal Elder

Post by lazyb5 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:33 pm

Hi Ady, ok I'll have a look at the top diaphragm, the rest of the pipes I've replaced ,not quite sure about the 1st paragraph but it will probably become clear when I look at the weekend.
Cheers again Ady
Clive
lazyb5
Tribal Elder

Post by lazyb5 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:02 pm

Hi Ady, had a quick look at the top diaphragm tonight and it had oil in it, gave it a clean out and restarted the bongo, and now no more smoke. I will check the vacuum solo lids out later tomorrow but hopefully that has solved it.ingers crossed.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:48 pm

hope it done it mate. [-o< [-o< [-o<
lazyb5
Tribal Elder

Post by lazyb5 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:40 pm

well ive started it seven or eight times now and no more smoke other than the normal stuff.so hopefully that has sorted it. After that i decided to check the tyres and wash it. Noticed a rear drop link has snapped so am now looking for a set i can get from a local motor factors, oh and my jet washer has stopped working. Is there anything else that could go wrong...... :shock:
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:47 pm

its just newness mate, itll be fine when its run in. :) :) .

Return to “Techie Stuff”