EGR System blanking

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: EGR System blanking

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:06 pm

there is a heat exchanger on the later ones simon, see briwys post, its the big lump of scrap strapped on the nearside of the engine.

when i strip this hole mentioned above i use an imperial bolt with a coarse thread, this does the job.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:18 pm

Simon Jones wrote:To remove the elbow is exactly as you describe. Funnily enough, the one on my diesel also stripped in the same place but I happened to have a spare engine lying around (as one does :) ) so was able to replace the whole thing. The casting there seems prone to stripping the thread but you could either run same size tap thru it to freshen up the threads or drill it an go up half a mil. This may require the flange on the EGR pipe to be increased to take the larger bolt. Perhaps finish the job off with some Hylomar on the join and thread locking compound to stop the bolt working loose?
elbow off and cleaned out ready for thread recovery kit to arrive. Elbow and the inlet manifold were soooo grungy. Yuk. Manifold scraped out and wiped out as best as I could.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:18 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote:there is a heat exchanger on the later ones simon, see briwys post, its the big lump of scrap strapped on the nearside of the engine.
Cheers Ady, I never knew that. That's the downside of only having tinkered with the pre 1999 engines :).
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:06 am

This is the lump of "scrap" Simon, before and after.

Bit of a pain to get the EGR tube nuts undone (lot of heat and cursing) and the water pipes have to be rerouted but it serves no useful purpose once the EGR is blanked/removed. Obviously the inlet from the cooler into the right hand side of the turbo has to be blanked as well.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:29 pm

al & chris wrote:Don't know if I dare do mine now. Got the plates, just not got round to fitting them yet.
I have come out of the worst case scenario successfully! The worst bit was being a numty in the first place followed by cleaning out the gunge in the elbow once removed. Oh and adding £15 to the job! After reading this you'd go carefully with the forward plate's bolts and the job will stay the quickie it is supposed to be!
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD

Return to “Techie Stuff”