window switch

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

don320
Junior Bongonaut

Re: window switch

Post by don320 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:39 pm

grey fellah wrote:i have a problem with my pass side window working part time, pretty sure the driver side switch is faulty, will older model switch fit my 2002 bongo or is it only the grey face lift type i need, thanks in advance
I had a problem with mine I took the drivers switch opened it and cleaned the terminals inside of the locking switch and it works perfect now no need to buy a new one watch when you take it apart as there is a small ball bearing in the switch and may pop out mine did never did find it and it still works you can try this and see if it works saves money.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:31 pm

don320 wrote:
grey fellah wrote:i have a problem with my pass side window working part time, pretty sure the driver side switch is faulty, will older model switch fit my 2002 bongo or is it only the grey face lift type i need, thanks in advance
I had a problem with mine I took the drivers switch opened it and cleaned the terminals inside of the locking switch and it works perfect now no need to buy a new one watch when you take it apart as there is a small ball bearing in the switch and may pop out mine did never did find it and it still works you can try this and see if it works saves money.
Similar trick worked for me though from memory I can to cannibalise an old one for a broken part. I took it apart in a bucket so if the ball bearing popped out (which it did!) it didn't get lost on the drive.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:45 pm

Must have been a good size bucket for you to get in, Mike. :lol:
cookan
Bongolier

Post by cookan » Wed May 06, 2015 5:59 pm

Damn..now my drivers window switch is about to explode...the tab that fits over the hinge/axle has cracked so when you pull the switch to close the drivers window, the rocker almost ejects itself...jobs keep appearing on my bongo recently!

Do these fit/work ok ?
http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayIS ... 0931783813

I assume if the controls are somehow transposed I can just pop and swap the pins in the plug?

Might take the opportunity to try and sort the broken retaining clip on the switch housing also..

Ant
1995 M reg 2WD AFT in green/grey (and an Oakley Thermonuclear Protection decal for some reason!)
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Wed May 06, 2015 7:47 pm

cookan wrote: Do these fit/work ok ?
Yes, in that the 323f switch is identical to the Bongo switch.

I took bits off an old and broken Bongo window switch to fix the window switch on our 323f
cookan
Bongolier

Post by cookan » Wed May 06, 2015 7:52 pm

Ah nice combination! Might get a 323 next for the missus!
Does the 323 have the same trim clips :-)
1995 M reg 2WD AFT in green/grey (and an Oakley Thermonuclear Protection decal for some reason!)
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Wed May 06, 2015 8:30 pm

cookan wrote:Ah nice combination! Might get a 323 next for the missus!
Does the 323 have the same trim clips :-)
The 323f doesn't have the surrounding plastic bit like the Bongo.
Basically, there's a hole in the arm rest through which the switch pokes up.

If you go for a 323f then, for the BA model, which is the one we have, and is the one after the pop up headlight model but before the more normal looking, Vauxhall Astra type affair, then you have a choice of 1.5, 1.6, 1.8 and 2 litre options.

I think Mazda covered most bases there...

It's a shame the company has lost some of its eccentricity in more recent years
cookan
Bongolier

Post by cookan » Mon May 11, 2015 1:17 pm

cookan wrote:Damn..now my drivers window switch is about to explode...the tab that fits over the hinge/axle has cracked so when you pull the switch to close the drivers window, the rocker almost ejects itself...jobs keep appearing on my bongo recently!

Do these fit/work ok ?

I assume if the controls are somehow transposed I can just pop and swap the pins in the plug?

Might take the opportunity to try and sort the broken retaining clip on the switch housing also..

Ant
just to confirm, this arrived today and fits almost perfectly. The switches operate the correct windows and the plug fits. Only point I would add is that the socket on the module points directly down as opposed to at an angle like the original....I had to remove the door card to free up some slack in the loom to get the switch back in.

thank,
Ant.
BongoRaceTruck
Junior Bongonaut

Post by BongoRaceTruck » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:55 pm

Just cleaned my window and blind switches using the YouTube tutorial and the excellent instructions on this forum, thanks. Even solved the spring and ball bearing mystery!

If you've been similarly mystified and have a partially disassembled (but cleaned) drivers side switch in your hand here is my post so you don't need to search:

"To reassemble remove the dangling white block attached to the window lock switch (in the black outer housing) by depressing the clips with two tiny Allen keys through the windows either side of that switch (next to the switch pivot on the top).

With this block removed place it into its receptacle on the circuit board by depressing the spring loaded copper section and partially sliding it in. With it partially installed place the spring then the bearing in place and hold with thumb whilst pushing the white block fully home with a reassuring click.

Using the markings on the circuit board (after exercising and spraying contact cleaner inside) align the switch pegs. The circuit board assembly can then be reassembled with the black housing.

Your windows now work like new!"

Bongos are like lego for adults-brilliant!

Return to “Techie Stuff”