No glowplug light and not turning over.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

brorabongo
Supreme Being

No glowplug light and not turning over.

Post by brorabongo » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:07 pm

Wonder if anyone can shed some light on my problem please. As title says, when I turn on the ignition the glowplug light does not light, turn further and the starter motor does not come to life. So far I have found just over 12v going to the glowplug relay, but it does not click. Removed relay and connect direct to battery, it clicks. Fuse link on battery terminal shows continuity. All other fuses seem okay. Did notice a couple of times lately the glow plug light did come back on for a second or two after starting, which after searching on here could suggest the battery is on the way out?

Cheers.
ボンゴの激怒 pictures
Run your fingers over my Bongo, and I'll run my Bongo over your fingers!! :twisted:
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Re: No glowplug light and not turning over.

Post by roosmith » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:27 pm

Have you tried jumping it? What voltage is the battery sitting at?
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:54 pm

The glow plug light is less of an issue than the lack of it turning over. Does the starter click when you try to start it? If the battery is a bit low, the starter solenoid generally clicks and chatters and you may hear it spinning but not engaging with the flywheel. Also check fuses 4 (main) and 13 (ignition) in the fuse box under the bonnet.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:25 pm

Poor battery connections .. duff battery ..??
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:53 pm

If the voltage on the relay is only just over 12 volts without any load a very good chance that it will be a lot less once you pull a current from it - so flat battery would be first guess.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
brorabongo
Supreme Being

Post by brorabongo » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:07 pm

Thanks guys.

I did not try jumping it.

Battery read 12.5V. Which I know is not good, but that was after a few attempts of starting.

No noise from starter at all, no sound what-so-ever when ignition turned fully.

Took battery out and charged for a couple of hours, then read 13.3V. Tried it again but still the same. My Brother-In-Law who owns a Bongo as well came over 1/2 hour later to see, I went to show him what happens......the thing fired up sweet as a nut!!! but the glowplug light was dim, and came on again for a second or two shortly after. Tested voltage whilst engine idling, it reads just over 14V. Looking like a battery fault?

I would of expected the glowplug light to light up and or the starter to at least make the clicking sound when the batteries slightly flat etc. I had that before with other cars/vans.

So I think it's looking like a 120 mile round trip for a new battery, and see if that cures it.

Cheers again. :D
ボンゴの激怒 pictures
Run your fingers over my Bongo, and I'll run my Bongo over your fingers!! :twisted:
philpdr
Tribal Elder

Post by philpdr » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:51 pm

Can you not just get one on the net?save all that fuel.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:37 pm

have you checked the earth continuity, the one from the battery to the body (inner wing) and the one from the engine to the chassis.

try an earth strap/jump lead from the starter motor body direct to the neg side of the starter battery.

maybe a strip off and clean job.
brorabongo
Supreme Being

Post by brorabongo » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:11 pm

Would love to get one off the net, but it could take days to come, plus being up in the Highlands extra carriage charges are the norm. :evil:

Earth straps are clean, and solid. I have tried starting her a couple of times today and been for a wee run 20+ miles, starts perfectly, but still the glowplug light is dim and comes on again for a second after starting.

Will try new battery later if I get back in time.

Cheers.
ボンゴの激怒 pictures
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:21 pm

Simon Jones wrote:The glow plug light is less of an issue than the lack of it turning over. Does the starter click when you try to start it? If the battery is a bit low, the starter solenoid generally clicks and chatters and you may hear it spinning but not engaging with the flywheel. Also check fuses 4 (main) and 13 (ignition) in the fuse box under the bonnet.
Simon you are a wealth of knowledge. I had exactly this happen once after a long stand still about a month or 2 ago in the cold. I cranked it again and it started. (Not to go off topic but it relates to a 3 out of 10 starts lumpy idle that I get with the Bongo and does point at a duff starter battery on mine, possibly aging glow plugs but i think I am inclined to go for a battery initially as the glow plug change is a little more hassle-y than I thought)

I hope you get to the bottom of it Brora.
brorabongo
Supreme Being

Post by brorabongo » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:19 pm

Battery replaced. So far so good.

Now looking into sorting an ATF leak, looks like the metal pipes running to the rad are corroded, and looking wet at the box end. :cry:

Cheers for the advice.
ボンゴの激怒 pictures
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:37 pm

The ATF pipes from the box to the bottom of the radiator are well known to rust through ..

The two new pipes are each around five feet long .. and a 'bit awkward' to fit .. some cut out the corroded steel pipe and 'patch in' some oil proof / hydraulic 'rubber' pipe held with jubilee clips ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
brorabongo
Supreme Being

Post by brorabongo » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:59 pm

Cheers Mike.
Just what I was thinking of doing, but also thought of replacing the lot with rubber. The only question is does anyone have an idea what is the inner diameter of the hose I'll need? and are the pipes on the box the same diameter as the pipes on the rad? I'm guessing so.

Tried to buy a micrometer locally, but with no success.
ボンゴの激怒 pictures
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:19 pm

I think I used 12mm ID fuel hose braded
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:01 pm

Hi
It should be oil hose, not fuel hose, and you can buy it off the reel in somewhere like a tractor suppliers...least ways, that's where I got some from over here (for another purpose)...I also managed water hose rated 30 bar when I temporarily bypassed the rear heater...It's cheaper than going to an auto factor.
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.

Return to “Techie Stuff”