K & N Filter

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

weebrian
Bongolier

K & N Filter

Post by weebrian » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:42 pm

Does anyone know if there is a K & N air filter available for the 2.5l V6?
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: K & N Filter

Post by Simon Jones » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:11 pm

Yep - got one. Will try to get the part number when I get home.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:00 pm

I've had a look and can't find the box. According to Mazdabongo.com, the filter for V6 is the same as the 2 litre and there is a link in this post with a part number: http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... +K#p640220

You get a go-faster sticker too :)

weebrian
Bongolier

Post by weebrian » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:52 pm

Thanks a lot Simon.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:54 pm

And an increased insurance policy price once you have told them. Or is an air filter exempt ? They might want to know about that extra 2 BHP at 5,500rpm just before the pistons exit the cylinder block. :lol:

In any event dot the i's and tell the insurance company I reckon.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:34 pm

I was advised by an insurance broker that a modification is classed as anything material that differs from how it left the factory. He said that technically, a sticker in the rear window would consitute a modification however, it will not affect the risk or value so would be of no significance. In the event of a claim it is quite likely that any settlement would not cover the value of any items. So if you spent £200 on fancy new speakers and then the vehicle was stolen you would not be able to recover that cost.

Changing to a K&N panel filter is not really going to make any more performance increase than perhaps using a premium type of fuel with a higher octane rating (any you wouldn't bother notifying them about that). Fitting a high performance air induction system would clearly be done to provide more power and that would constitute a higher risk.

It could probably be argued that service items such as oil, filters, tyres, wiper blades, brake pads are not modifications as long as they meet or exceed the manufacturers specification but it can't hurt to ask the insurer if in any doubt.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:20 am

The words "broker" and "could probably be argued" ring alarm bells. Only the filter has potential to increase power slightly in the high rev range (much like a large bore exhaust system which would absolutely be seen as a modification) This is insurance companies we are talking about, those guys who take your money as fast as possible and then put every possible barrier against paying out a full value amount or any amount.

Though I have never had any serious dealing with insurance companies I am not naive enough to think they are on your side when the proverbial hits the fan so to speak. Untrustworthy companies..... from overpriced quoting you year on year as if you are an idiot (so you have to run it round money supermarket et al every year), right through to avoiding paying out.

I am not a fan of their way of doing business and reckon on being upfront about physical modifications to reduce their preconceived plans of pulling one over on you. Not trying to rain on peoples parade I just don't trust insurance companies at all.

Given the filter does nothing over and above a regular one you are better off just changing it every 2 years with a normal one if you only do fairly low mileage. I am willing to hear counter arguments but that is my own mind state with insurance companies, I dislike them with a passion. I have heard of some truly unethical non pay out situations.

If people are sure it's not a mod, there is no harm letting them know about it, right? As you say, then it is in your favour as they cannot wriggle out of anything later.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:15 pm

Yes, if an any doubt about Insurance matters contact the Insurance company department direct Not the Broker/Agent.

Its basically common sense when it comes to Modifications or Extras, IE if you fit a wood burning stove or any other type of C heater give them a shout.

:)
Poohbear
Tribal Elder

Post by Poohbear » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:44 pm

Have you ever considered how a K&N air filter gives you more power? The answer is quite simple, it allows more airflow through the filter. In order to do this, of course, it has to have more open area in the filter media and what this means is that it actually filters less dust and other rubbish out of the incoming air, thereby allowing more of that dust and rubbish to go into your engine. This is more of a problem with bikes but I guess it could ultimately cause problems with cars too. The other thing is, most people buy a K&N to save money because the filter lasts for the life of the engine, but if you actually add in the cost of the cleaner and the oil they don't actually save you any money at all and it's cheaper to buy a new filter each time.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:55 pm

Hi
Whether or not the K&N actually allows more rubbish through is debatable....BUT, I use one, because replacing filters over here would be an every couple of weeks job , as it's extraordinarily dusty!....and it would entail buying crates of filters at a time to save a 100 Km round trip to the town! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:08 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi
Whether or not the K&N actually allows more rubbish through is debatable....BUT, I use one, because replacing filters over here would be an every couple of weeks job , as it's extraordinarily dusty!....and it would entail buying crates of filters at a time to save a 100 Km round trip to the town! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen

Bring back the oil bath/gauze filter........Wash and Go.

:(
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:16 pm

It is the oil on the filter element that traps the fine particles that are able to pass through the physical barrier. A conventional paper filter would be less effective at preventing the fine stuff getting through so arguably K&N does a better job.

Whether it works out cheaper in the long run will be determined by how/where you use the vehicle & how long you keep it for. The K&N filters can go up to 50,000 miles between cleaning / re-oiling, and have 1 million mile warranty so should out-live most cars.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:23 pm

Simon Jones wrote:It is the oil on the filter element that traps the fine particles that are able to pass through the physical barrier. A conventional paper filter would be less effective at preventing the fine stuff getting through so arguably K&N does a better job.

Whether it works out cheaper in the long run will be determined by how/where you use the vehicle & how long you keep it for. The K&N filters can go up to 50,000 miles between cleaning / re-oiling, and have 1 million mile warranty so should out-live most cars.

That idea goes back to the old oil bath/gauze filter system, I have changed oil and cleaned the gauze on many hundreds of them.

:(
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:07 pm

As you suggest, it's tried & tested solution. I've worked on lots of small engines as fitted to mowers, strimmers, generators, etc & they all use oiled foam filters which can easily be cleaned with petrol. They do a good job of keeping dust, grit, pollen etc out of the engine.
Poohbear
Tribal Elder

Post by Poohbear » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:24 pm

Simon Jones wrote:As you suggest, it's tried & tested solution. I've worked on lots of small engines as fitted to mowers, strimmers, generators, etc & they all use oiled foam filters which can easily be cleaned with petrol. They do a good job of keeping dust, grit, pollen etc out of the engine.
It is a tried and tested solution and this type of filter is very efficient at removal of fine particles from the air which is why oiled foam filters are used on scramblers and motocross bikes. However, a K&N isn't an oiled foam filter in the conventional sense otherwise it would reduce the airflow into the engine and slightly reduce performance.

Return to “Techie Stuff”