Replacing Bongo roof struts - How to - DO NOT DELETE

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Replacing Bongo roof struts - How to - DO NOT DELETE

Post by Bob » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:22 pm

Yes, it is valuable.

Don't know if they are supplied with the struts, but there's a good chance someone will, or it might be worth checking with SGS.

I've not bought struts from them but have had very good service with jacks and axle stands.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:57 pm

On the set I had it came with the ball joint, but I have heard of others who had variations on this, on mine I was able to pull out the clip to release the joint, then mount the ball section and only had to place the cup over the end and then reinsert the spring clip. This was also the method I used to get the old ones off. But from various comments on FB it seems not all are the same, some don't have removable joints (at least that was claimed) and others couldn't get the spring clips out for some reason.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:31 am

My struts came with a spring clip to hold the ball in but no ball !
I can't see how to remove the b all from the original strut
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:38 pm

Hello. All
Quick up date I didn't really check to package last time and it turns out I have the balls , at least on the struts for the outside of the roof so I fitted them today using everything I've least do from this post , the ratchet strap makes it very easy indeed .
Just make sure to support the roof fully before you start :shock:
I also got the struts for the inside ceiling / bed and it looks like I'm going to have go remove the bed in order to fit the struts AND according to SGS cut the struts on the ends in order to get the balls out ( these are the struts that came with no ball joints
Which me luck :lol:
Thanks again
Brian
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:40 pm

Good luck. [-o<

Let's hope the job goes well for you. :)
Merlot man
Bongolier

Post by Merlot man » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:56 pm

Quick update number 2
I've just finished fitting the struts inside and outside in the bus and all went well [-o<
I lubed the runners on the roof and now it seems to go up and come down a lot better , no real difference in speed but smother and no bleating donkey at the top :shock:
The inside struts ,....... well I had to cut the balls out of the sockets with the hacksaw and cold chisel .
To get them off is straight forward, you simply unbolt them top and bottom , the top bolts are hidden with ceiling carpet but I cut around this with a knife to get better access for the 12 mm spanner , then I cut out the balls , really splitting the sockets in half .
To refit , I found it simpler to fit the ball itself on the top and then click in and clip the socket in place .
If your going at this job I'd ask SGS to supply the balls as they do for the outer struts , the same ones will do .
I hope this is of some small to somebody
Brian
JF117
Bongonaut

Post by JF117 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:44 pm

Finding it hard to follow these tips can anybody help?

So I've put the roof up, I've got a wooden prop in to take the weight of the roof after proposed Strut removal.

Firstly I tried to then remove the bolt from the bottom half, where the stroke is, and it would budge. Then I re-read this thread and realized that I need to use the Ratchet strap to ease some of the compression.

I tried that also, to the point that the metal bracket was almost lifting off the roof, so I figured it was compressed and then I tried again and still nothing.

What am I doing wrong?
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:10 pm

This might give you an idea of whats involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiF0vATmCwQ
JF117
Bongonaut

Post by JF117 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:31 pm

rita wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:10 pm This might give you an idea of whats involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiF0vATmCwQ
Yeah, I watched that, I can't even get the things off to get that far lol

Return to “Techie Stuff”