Post by Snail921 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:12 pm

you can buy vacuum pipe on ebay,just cut to size, push on
Regards,
Brian.
Rifster
Junior Bongonaut

Re: freda 2.5td slow start from cold problems

Post by Rifster » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:36 pm

pipe is the easy part but its located right behind the fuel pump, so looks like the fuel pump needs to come out of the way to put the new pipes in place and thats the hard part.
rgds
Rif
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:46 pm

All the pipes are quite accessible. I've had all that lot off (and the head) without needing to touch the injector pump.
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:28 pm

Sorry to pump this old thread - I've just replaced all my vacuum hosing and one of thr solenoids which had the hose connector broken. I'm still having issues.

Does anyone know what temperature sensor the solenoids act off?
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:33 pm

One works when the aircon is switched on and the coolant temp is below approx 40 50 deg, the other only works when the coolant is below 10 deg, when 10 deg is reached it turns off. They are both controlled via the ecu.
What they do in action is pull the throttle up a tad when the coolant is cold/ cool, a bit like how the old choke works.
Both cold start solenoids are inactive if the revs rise above a certain point if driving off before it's warmed up normally or the throttle is pressed while starting the engine, ( no throttle is needed when starting it does what's needed automatically).
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:37 pm

Alkers wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:28 pm Sorry to pump this old thread - I've just replaced all my vacuum hosing and one of thr solenoids which had the hose connector broken. I'm still having issues.

Does anyone know what temperature sensor the solenoids act off?

What issues are you / the vehicle having?
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:58 pm

Thank for the replies.

The issues I'm having are, vehicle is occassionaly a bit difficult to start when it's cold but it normally starts after two or three attempts and will run quite rough, it will barely idle if left alone but if it is reved or moved at all, it will cut out when the revs drop, particularly if driving and braking at the same time. Once it (the weather and/or the van) is warm, it runs and starts fine. If left alone when cold, idle is about 600rpm

I have replaced all the vacuum hose at and one of the more-forward solenoids (which had some hose connections which were broken).

I'm wondering where these solenoids learn of the coolant temperature so they can decide to activate or not? We've had the thermostat replaced in recent years.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:39 pm

It uses the sensor above the starter motor drivers side in the head, it has a 2 wire connection, careful it's a weird connector.
If the end of the sensor wobbles even a tiny bit, it's a metal and plastic 2 piece jobby, replace it, with a gen Mazda one as these are more acc than copy parts that are cheaper.
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:09 pm

Very helpful, you wouldn't happen to have a part number would you? Is this the same sensor which operates the gauge in the dashboard?

I'm strugglign to navigate the diagrams on a work laptop
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:43 pm

Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:35 pm

Yes that's the one. Watch the sealing washer if you swap it
It's not the same as the dashboard sensor, if you look at the diagram posted above you may see the dashboard sensor just to the front of the one you need. Ian at the shop sells em.

Return to “Techie Stuff”