Headlight bulbs going dim over time!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

al & chris
Tribal Elder

Headlight bulbs going dim over time!

Post by al & chris » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:36 pm

Just started using headlights more with darker nights and i thought they did not look as bright. A few years ago I put in 50% extra bright ones. Just been looking on web and it looks like bulbs do go dimmer over time. Has anyone else found this? Do different makes last longer.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Headlight bulbs going dim over time!

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:40 pm

al & chris wrote:Just started using headlights more with darker nights and i thought they did not look as bright. A few years ago I put in 50% extra bright ones. Just been looking on web and it looks like bulbs do go dimmer over time. Has anyone else found this? Do different makes last longer.
I've kind of ducked this issue a bit by fitting 100w spotlights on my fender defender bar and linking them with a 3 way switch that allows them to work either with main beam only (which is how I always use them) or whenever side or main lights are on. I'll be interested to hear what people say about headlight bulbs dimming over time though as I've never changed mine. :roll:
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:19 pm

They can dim and if they start getting dim they will continue to get dimmer!
Two possible problems, it might be the sockets for the bulbs, they have a habit of overheating and then giving a poor connection, replace them with ceramic ones from ebay if they get hot!
The bulbs themselves can build up a deposit of metal on the inside of the glass from the filament, this is meant to evaporate when they are next used - i.e. get hot - however sometimes the coating gets to thick and can't evaporate so the deposit gets thicker and the light gets dimmer - replace the bulbs.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:46 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
al & chris wrote:Just started using headlights more with darker nights and i thought they did not look as bright. A few years ago I put in 50% extra bright ones. Just been looking on web and it looks like bulbs do go dimmer over time. Has anyone else found this? Do different makes last longer.
I've kind of ducked this issue a bit by fitting 100w spotlights on my fender defender bar and linking them with a 3 way switch that allows them to work either with main beam only (which is how I always use them) or whenever side or main lights are on. I'll be interested to hear what people say about headlight bulbs dimming over time though as I've never changed mine. :roll:
That sounds like the kind of lighting that you can feel when someone is overtaking. You can feel the projected warmth creeping up on you as it passes. :lol:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:04 pm

BongoBongo123 wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:
That sounds like the kind of lighting that you can feel when someone is overtaking. You can feel the projected warmth creeping up on you as it passes. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Ohhhh yes, though luckily I'm rarely the one doing the overtaking. By sticking to the main beam only option and dipping promptly and responsibly, and because they are bright enough to be angled well down and still give good light, I manage to avoid being an antisocial motorist. 8)
philpdr
Tribal Elder

Post by philpdr » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:13 pm

Think I'd start by giving the lenses a damn good clean.
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:49 am

g8dhe wrote:They can dim and if they start getting dim they will continue to get dimmer!
Two possible problems, it might be the sockets for the bulbs, they have a habit of overheating and then giving a poor connection, replace them with ceramic ones from ebay if they get hot!
The bulbs themselves can build up a deposit of metal on the inside of the glass from the filament, this is meant to evaporate when they are next used - i.e. get hot - however sometimes the coating gets to thick and can't evaporate so the deposit gets thicker and the light gets dimmer - replace the bulbs.

yep..... I have seen this too when the battery/alternator is getting aged..... worth keeping an eye on....
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:44 am

philpdr wrote:Think I'd start by giving the lenses a damn good clean.

Ditto and check that the reflectors are still bright/shiny and not starting to tarnish (going black)

PS if you cant see in the light cant get out....
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:16 pm

As I've got a 'thing' about excessive car borne lighting under urban street lighting conditions, I don't worry at all about the Bongo lights being dim (up to a point, anyway, and they get dangerously near that point if not cleaned!).

I see myself as an evangelist for the shortlived 'dim dip' era which was a much needed replacement for 'twinkle sometimes little star' sidelights and presented two adequate areas of visible, but not intense, illumination on oncoming vehicles. Regrettably, few other motorists understand the benefit of turning the wick down in towns and heavy traffic and being able to see better as a result.

The modern trend for multiple designer searchlights is way over the top anywhere other than for the sole vehicle on quiet unlit roads.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:15 pm

Diplomat wrote:As I've got a 'thing' about excessive car borne lighting under urban street lighting conditions, I don't worry at all about the Bongo lights being dim (up to a point, anyway, and they get dangerously near that point if not cleaned!).

I see myself as an evangelist for the shortlived 'dim dip' era which was a much needed replacement for 'twinkle sometimes little star' sidelights and presented two adequate areas of visible, but not intense, illumination on oncoming vehicles. Regrettably, few other motorists understand the benefit of turning the wick down in towns and heavy traffic and being able to see better as a result.

The modern trend for multiple designer searchlights is way over the top anywhere other than for the sole vehicle on quiet unlit roads.

Frank
I agree. Linking my powerful spots to main beam only and setting them to not point way down the road works very well in this respect as using main beam suggests you need to see where you are going as you are on unlit roads. And unless you are rally driving, you don't need to illuminate a great distance ahead (and it risks blinding oncoming cars if you don't dip promptly) but you do benefit from having curbs etc well lit. The rest of the time, the lighting is as much to be seen as to see the way forward. Modern cars driving with low set foglights on even with dipped headlights can be very distracting.
al & chris
Tribal Elder

Post by al & chris » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:56 pm

g8dhe wrote:They can dim and if they start getting dim they will continue to get dimmer!
New ceramic connectors and new bulbs fitted. They are now a lot brighter, although the bulbs are brighter ones. Most of my driving is on unlight country roads and I just can't do without the brighter bulbs.

Return to “Techie Stuff”