Oil sump plug

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Oil sump plug

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:38 pm

When I got the Bongo in June I had it serviced locally for speed and convenience. Which side is the sump nut accessed for an oil change ? I know it would not be hard to find but I cannot get under bongo right now got sore back I am trying to sort out for a longish drive so not up for sliding under.

Which side is easiest for access, do I strictly need to lift the vehicle or is access easy from standing on wheels, anyone got a photo. It is not quite due yet but just wanted to know where the sump nut is and oil filter access.

Sorry if that's taking the pee :)

I did a search but nowt came up but of course thats what membership fees are for right !

Ian comes to the rescue...

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/member ... ts/oil.pdf
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Oil sump plug

Post by Bob » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:06 pm

I use a Pela pump for the 6 month change and have it serviced by the garage annualy. :)
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:49 pm

I use a cheap syringe like pump from a marine chandlers (difficult to get underneath marine engines).

Every so often I pump out 5 litres into an old container and pour in the contents of a new 5 litre can. The litre or so of remaining old oil makes the dipstick easier to read!

Only problem is that gallon equivalent cans containing less than 5 litres seem to be the trending sale size. I had hoped that we were going to forget about gallons years ago. Looks like my fresh oil will be getting more and more old oil for company in the sump.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:44 am

Fit a Fumoto Valve... http://www.quickvalve.co.uk/index.htm..... Just need to fit once and raise Bongo just enough to slide your Oil Drain Tray under.... flip the valve open and out comes the oil.....
I do have a Pela.... but much prefer the old method for draining.... which Fumoto makes easy and with less mess....

Yer Pays Yer Money......You take your choice
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:44 am

They only wanted to know " Which side is the sump nut accessed for an oil change "

Does anybody Know.
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Post by wonkanoby » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:46 am

drivers side
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:47 am

wonkanoby wrote:drivers side

=D> =D> =D>
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:09 am

teenmal wrote:They only wanted to know " Which side is the sump nut accessed for an oil change "

Does anybody Know.

They may not want to know anymore, now that they know that there is a highly popular simple alternative to crawling underneath with a box spanner in hand and waiting for the inevitable wrist soaking gush of hot oil. Oh, and watching the slightest draught wafting the eventual thin stream of oil away from the saucepan.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:03 pm

Aye, but there is no substitute for an old fashioned Drain and Flush, especially with engines using Piston oil cooler jets, and HLA systems which these vehicles use." where there's Muck there's trouble" ..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:18 pm

A few years I bought an Barclays Bank ex leased 2.0 Vauxhall Ecotec in mint condition with all main dealer service records ..

As I tend to mistrust garages .. and do my own servicing anyway I gave it the once over .. I dipped the oil .. perfect.

But as a routine I checked the PCV pipes .. absolutely solid with congealed oil .. I had to remove them.. soak them in solvent and and prod and probe to get all the crap out ..

So to a garage an oil change is just that .. where as a DIYer may be a bit more though..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:34 pm

Thanks for replies, I cannot get my head round this change oil every 6 months lark on a Diesel. I have only done about 1,500 miles and it's been 5 months. :-k

Does its lubricating ability get broke down much more quick than petrol ?
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:15 pm

BongoBongo123 wrote:Thanks for replies, I cannot get my head round this change oil every 6 months lark on a Diesel. I have only done about 1,500 miles and it's been 5 months. :-k

Does its lubricating ability get broke down much more quick than petrol ?
The information that you have is probably a Bit Outdated,Both Castrol and Comma for instance recommend 6000 mile or 12 month, whatever comes first, for the WLT engine, when using their recommended product for this engine.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:08 pm

I thought it seemed excessive thanks rita.

Return to “Techie Stuff”