New Bongo - Various questions...

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Mathter

New Bongo - Various questions...

Post by Mathter » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:40 am

Hi Folks,

Just picked up my Bongo tonight (last night now I guess!) and spent ages and ages playing with it. :D Now I have a few questions I hope someone can answer for me...

1. The R/N/S window has a smaller catch than all the others and won't open. (I don't want to force it.) Is this normal?

2. The middle O/S window is really loose - I can fairly easily put my fingers up between the window and the frame. (I found out cos I could hear a lot of noise through it!) I'm worried it will leak if I drive in the rain. What do I need to do to I fix it? All the fixings look OK.

3. Where's the spare wheel?!

4. Is there any way of getting the roof down manually? (Thinking ahead here!)

5. When I originally test drove the vehicle, there was a knocking sound coming from underneath that sounded like a loose exhaust or mudflap. The chap did say what it was - the rods or struts? Sorry, I forget and am not mechanically minded. Certainly a common problem. Anyway, they've been replaced. Coming home though, I thought I could hear the noise again. Will drive it again tomorrow over bumpy ground to see if it happens again. Hoping it's paranoia! If not, any ideas what it's likely to be?

Phew, I think that's it. For now anyway! Looking forward to your replies...
Kentish Paul
Bongolier

Post by Kentish Paul » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:49 am

1. Yes

2. Not sure how to fix it. My one has loose screws and no matter how often I tighten them they will work loose and the whole windoiw rattles on a long run.

3. The spare wheel is under the rear of the vehicle and is lowered by a device which is tored with the understair tool compartment. You will find the slot under the tailgate.

You really should not have bought the vehicle without inspecting the spare. Also, I suggest you invest in a Handbook where this and the method for emergency roof lowering is explained.

4. See 3

5. It could indeed be what the seller described but many other things too. You will find these alternatives via the SEARCH utility and others will contibute but at the end of the day you should be back to the seller demanding a solution not a theory on the cause.

Despite the last issue I am sure you will have many years of happy Bongoing and welcome to the club!
Bongo National Party - The law-abiding should have rights too!
Peg leg Pete
Supreme Being

Post by Peg leg Pete » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:54 am

You should have a kit for manually lowering the roof. A plastic bag with a length of cord and a Allen key, instructions on using the kit are in the manual :wink:
Image Pete
Dago & Mrs D
Supreme Being

Post by Dago & Mrs D » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:13 am

The rear N/S window doesn't open - we thought it was because our's has a rear kitchen with a cupboard there, but the real reason, I think, is that if you slid the door open when the rear window was open there would be a clash.

Mrs. D
Athers

Post by Athers » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:35 am

Mather,

5. My knocking was 'sorted' before the sale...........however it was only a temporary fix as once the bushes go in the drop links, there is no option but to replace them!

If you look at the pictures below, then look underneath, you may well be able to identify/rule out the drop links as the problem. They are easy to spot.

I am told the some of them are identical to the Vauxhall Cavalier and hence half the price......if you browse the search there is plenty of info on a variety of knocks!

It seems there are some apparantly insubstantial bits holding the big beast on the road!
dreamwarrioruk
Supreme Being

Post by dreamwarrioruk » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:59 am

the front ones nearly match the vauxhall vectra, however the mounting bolt is about 2mm thinner. a lot cheaper than genuine ones so can use about 3 sets of these to one gen one.
you could but a bush in to pack them out.
Ive put them in mine after a knocking and creaking on bumps. sorted it out.
Mathter

Post by Mathter » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:22 am

Thanks to everyone for responding. Makes you feel kinda daft, but I guess we all have to start somewhere...

Makes perfect sense about the non-opening N/S window - dur!

Fixed my window. Tightened up the screw but it also had a break in the opening part which I've superglued back together. Now fits nice and snug and no noise. If it doesn't hold, I'll get a replacement.

The spare wheel is there. :oops: Know I should have checked, but I trusted the guy. (And I know what some will say about that, but that's me...) The jack is in the tool compartment (I checked that!) along with a bag with what looks like some chocs and possibly the winder mechanism for the roof - I shall have to invest in a handbook! Presumably the owners manual is sufficient and will cover things like this?

Pretty sure it was the links that were replaced. Thanks for the photo. I will take a look to make sure. Thing is with Knocks, squeaks and bumps is that everyone describes them differently! Unfortunately I was half way back home before I heard it so they would have been closed by the time I got back. I'll ring them tomorrow. Then I shall take it to my friendly mechanic to test drive it for me next Saturday. He regularly services Bongos and knows them inside out. At least then I'll have an idea of what it could be (if anything) and will feel more confident taking it back should I need to.

Thanks again...
Chris P

Post by Chris P » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:04 am

>4. Is there any way of getting the roof down manually? (Thinking ahead here!)

You REALLY don't want to do this if you don't have to (speaking as someone who has done it and driven 200 miles with it tied down and beeping).

There is a kit, but it is only 20 foot of thin rope and a small allan key. Essentially you drop the motors off and pull on the side props, and it comes down on the head of the person making sure it didn't come down on you while you were taking the motors off.

If it doesn't work, make sure you have pressed the UNLOCK button up in the roof (I have heard of someone taking the roof down because they didn't know there was an extra button), and that the handbrake is properly on (my problem), and that you haven't lost a fuse. Don't know of any other problems people have had...

Cheers

Chris

Return to “Techie Stuff”