1995 rear springs

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

1995 rear springs

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:51 pm

Picked up a set of second hand rear springs for a bargain £30.00 including delivery. They were on the "to get" list cause the MOT has an advisory "rust on rear springs".

But looking at the strength of the springs and gauge (about 15mm estimated) how the hell they would rust through before the car falls apart from old age I don't know lol. Ridiculous putting surface rust on a rear spring as an advisory IMO. :roll:

Anyway got them I suppose.
Velocette
Supreme Being

Re: 1995 rear springs

Post by Velocette » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:09 pm

BongoBongo123 wrote:Picked up a set of second hand rear springs for a bargain £30.00 including delivery. They were on the "to get" list cause the MOT has an advisory "rust on rear springs".

But looking at the strength of the springs and gauge (about 15mm estimated) how the hell they would rust through before the car falls apart from old age I don't know lol. Ridiculous putting surface rust on a rear spring as an advisory IMO. :roll:

I suppose the thinking is that if they get pitted it could create a stress point and increase the likelyhood of a break. I had two springs break on my Astra but no idea if rust was involved or not. I would wipe them over with ACF50 which will turn the rust black and stop it progressing.
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:19 pm

I've only had one spring snap on me (not the Bongo) and it looked in good condition externally, but I think the powder coating was damaged and whether that allowed water to get in I'll never know. Fortunately, it happened just as I turned the wheel to get out of a parking space and the was a loud bang. The sharp broken edge was in contact with the wheel so it could have been nasty if it had happened at speed.

I was not in a position to fit new springs, so I was going to have to drive it a few miles to my local mechanic. I jacked the car up, chopped the spring off with an angle grinder and then discovered that with no spring in place, there was no way I could drive it as the wheel hit the top of the arch once the jack was lowered #-o. Managed to bodge it with a length of steel tubing split up the side to pass over the shocker and lock it in place. Bit of gaffer tape and a jubilee clip and it was just enough to get to the garage very slowly. Not pretty, but it did the job.

Just to add to the problem, numpties at CarPartsForLess couldn't manage simple of job of sending me a pair of springs that were the same length as each other. :evil:

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:43 am

Good call on the anti corrosion suggestion. I have some anti-rust stuff. Presumably I could just jack the bongo and the springs will become much more accessible? They seem well hidden behind the wheel.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:54 am

Given a Bongo weighs 2260kgs... is a 2 ton trolley jack sufficient ? Obviously it is only lifting one side/corner of the vehicle so I imagine it is not taking the full weight of the vehicle.

Of course I would put axle stands or scissor jack under as a back up as well.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:17 pm

I found this:

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... =3&t=67457

Not one to take risks so I think I will just leave these springs for now, sort the spare ones out they look in good conditions but I think I will brush/spray them and just get them fitted when the vehicle is next into service for a garage with the proper lifting gear that should be a fairly easy and not so expensive job. Always better paying someone than dying in a really terrible way. I am no mechanic just enthusiastic about preventative maintenance but not to the degree that I want to be unsafe about things.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:46 pm

BongoBongo123 wrote:Picked up a set of second hand rear springs for a bargain £30.00 including delivery. They were on the "to get" list cause the MOT has an advisory "rust on rear springs".

Your vehicle got an advisory, if the springs were damaged or corroded to the extent that they could be seriously weakenedit would then be a Fail.

Wire brush and some waxoyl should do the trick.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:19 pm

teenmal wrote:

Your vehicle got an advisory, if the springs were damaged or corroded to the extent that they could be seriously weakenedit would then be a Fail.

Wire brush and some waxoyl should do the trick.
Sure, thanks man, thus thoughts of getting a decent jack, they are not really accessible when the vehicle is on the ground.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:56 pm

BongoBongo123 wrote:Given a Bongo weighs 2260kgs... is a 2 ton trolley jack sufficient ? Obviously it is only lifting one side/corner of the vehicle so I imagine it is not taking the full weight of the vehicle.

Of course I would put axle stands or scissor jack under as a back up as well.
Kerb weight is around 1800kg. Gross weight is 2260Kg but that figure includes passengers and luggage. As long as you ask everyone to get out first you will be fine with 2 ton jack :).

Tech specs here:

http://www.allansvehicleservices.co.uk/ ... cation.pdf
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:36 pm

Thanks all right now I am going to leave well alone and consider how I will approach it... if I could see to what extent they are rusty that would be a good start but awkward to get to. I think 2 tonne and Axle stands might be needed.

I think I will just leave them alone till they fail then change the springs entirely.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:46 pm

Rightly or wrongly (slightly concerned about waxoyl on brake disks) I managed to work waxoyl into the springs to hold some salt back this winter. I painted it on and then rubbed it in with rubber gloves on and all around the coils to get some penetration/temporary protection.

Before I drive it next I will rub a cloth over it to take any excess globules off.

I think I have hit the time of year where I have done as much as I can do this annum to protect for the winter and can have a better look next year. I am glad I have got many aspects kurusted, hammerited and waxoyl'd. I have had a very good stab at it and it did not cost me much overall.

It's been good fun sorting it out as it is all surface/cosmetic problems as opposed to complicated stuff.

Return to “Techie Stuff”