Ramps, axle stands or hydraulic jacks - help!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Frediculous
Junior Bongonaut

Ramps, axle stands or hydraulic jacks - help!

Post by Frediculous » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:28 pm

I'm looking to try and get under my van to try and maintain her as much as poss (nothing to complicated!) but I'm not sure what the best / safest way to get under is.

Ramps seem the simplest (maybe something like this https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/prod ... amps-crw25 )

But are axle stands better? If I'm wrestling with a bolt or something the idea of these makes me a bit nervous (maybe something like this http://www.tesco.com/direct/silverline- ... d=214-7914 )

Or perhaps two jacks ( maybe something like this http://www.tesco.com/direct/toolstream- ... 4-7923.prd )

Could be some kind of combination of the axle stands and ramps / jacks would be best?

Help!
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Re: Ramps, axle stands or hydraulic jacks - help!

Post by roosmith » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:33 pm

Ramps are nice and solid, like you say, however if you need to do something with the wheels off, useless! Right tool for the right job.
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:44 pm

Most versatile option is a trolly jack and axel stands, but unless you know what you are doing dont, a bloke near me was crushed and died whena car fell on him whilst working underneath.
I am sure some one local could show you how to use them correctly
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:38 pm

Jack and Axle stands are best for nearly all work unless it is non wheel/suspension related. Even then, your jack and stands will look after you.

Buy a jack that can lift the Bongo. The cheap small bottle jacks don't extend far enough! I still use teh supplied Mazda scissor jack because of this.

A Trolley jack is great but will set you back circa £70 min and will be bulky to store.

Axle stands are pretty much generic. I have 2 good ones, nothing special, but they are ratcheted - no pins to mess around with, and two cheap ones from LIdl - with pins.

I support the vehicle with the regular stands, then if I'm going underneath, I insert the second lidl stands in a second location as a "backup". I NEVER go fully under my vehicle without a backup set of axle stands in place. You should not need them but it's best to have a backup when your life depends on it.

I'm betting your neighbour who sadly died wend under a car with just the jack? It's tragically common. Axle stands should not let you down unless you are careless.
http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk Solar panel solutions for campervans
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:42 pm

Agree with the posts so far, do not under any circumstances go under a vehicle on a jack.

Ramps and stands should be ok but I always back up if I'm working underneath, or just pay a garage.
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:06 am

There is a thread on here somewhere about cribbing blocks which could be good for back up.
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:56 am

Hi
I have hydraulic ramps...you drive on, and pump them up. They look like ordinary ramps, when raised, and a lock bar swings over to "fix" the ram. Once you put an axle stand underneath, you can lower one to remove a wheel.
I don't know where the details are...I must have a look....there was a thread where we discussed them a couple of years back...I think there are one or two members with them!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:15 am

helen&tony wrote:Hi
I have hydraulic ramps...you drive on, and pump them up. They look like ordinary ramps, when raised, and a lock bar swings over to "fix" the ram. Once you put an axle stand underneath, you can lower one to remove a wheel.
I don't know where the details are...I must have a look....there was a thread where we discussed them a couple of years back...I think there are one or two members with them!
Cheers
Helen
Sound fab, but expensive and bulky?
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:37 am

http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk Solar panel solutions for campervans
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:56 am

I've witnessed a 2 ton hydraulic jack fail when lifting a Bongo, so I bought a 3 ton one. Will these ramps be up to the job I wonder :roll:
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:27 am

Hi
Mine are similar to those, but rated much higher...and were more expensive...VERY heavy....but anyone of average strength should lift them...I have to ask Tony!...They are quite wide enough, and heavy gauge metal construction. There are VERY long ramps available to lift the whole Bongo off the deck, but I couldn't get them to ship here...From memory, you can get versions that'll lift a couple of feet!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:33 pm

Got the same ones az you helen cracking bits of kit
Theres place in Rochdale sells them but got mine identical onez from a guy on ebay hundred quid cheaper
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:33 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:

I've witnessed a 2 ton hydraulic jack fail when lifting a Bongo, so I bought a 3 ton one. Will these ramps be up to the job I wonder :roll:

I suspect the 2 ton jack was faulty Mike - never had any problem using mine :?
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:17 pm

francophile1947 wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:

I suspect the 2 ton jack was faulty Mike - never had any problem using mine :?
You'd have to assume so, seeing as it wouldn't have been picking up the whole weight of the Bongo, it couldn't have been overloaded on one corner.
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:20 pm

It's a good idea to put your general location in your profile .. someone local maybe able to help ..

I have the usual 'Tranny van' commercial type ramps .. H/D trolly jack /axle stands etc:

But by far the easiest is my Clarkes Strong arm electric / hydraulic scissor lift .. it lifts the Bongo with no hassle .. as mechanical safety 'props' that latch in as the motor rises .. but being a belts 'n braces type of guy .. I tend to use some commercial axle stands as well .."just in case" ..!!

JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)

Return to “Techie Stuff”