Cylinder head gasket sealant

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

lazyb5
Tribal Elder

Re: Cylinder head gasket sealant

Post by lazyb5 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:10 pm

Hi all, well day 4 and we are nearly ready to turn over to prime the turbo oil pipe. Today was spent putting the turbo on and changing all water hoses. Unfortunately the injectors weren't finished until this evening so I still need to install them and the egr valve and vacuum solonoids. Just a couple of comments on the posts above, I had acquired all the parts I've used(except the turbo) over the years and needed to put them on the van. I had a water leak which was getting bigger, and needed to change the cam- belt so decided that whilst having a week off I would put all the new items on the car. When you've got all parts off the car it's only a little extra work to whip the head off. The head didn't have any cracks that were visible with my crack micrometer obviously there was some pitting around the exhaust valve of 2nd cylinder. Due to condition of the head I decided to try Simons idea. If it works, great news no more water leak, if not I know it's the head and all it's cost me is my time. Oh and the turbo. If that happens now I've cleaned everything and released bolts that were stuck I will swap the head over after buying a proper one. Thankfully I have a week off and the bongo is not the only car in the family, more of a hobby really. Anyway I'll keep you posted.
lazyb5
Tribal Elder

Post by lazyb5 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:51 pm

Well it starts, :D now to try and bleed it and see if it holds water.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:00 pm

lazyb5 wrote:Well it starts, :D now to try and bleed it and see if it holds water.
Yay! Good luck with the bleed. =D> [-o<
lazyb5
Tribal Elder

Post by lazyb5 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:00 pm

And it holds water, well for the last hour it has. :D had a quick spin and it feels up on power. Haven't been over 2k revs at the moment but so far so good. It may still leak but no clouds of smoke on startup, so either it was injectors or as Ady said it's the turbo, hats off to George at bongo spares, parcel arrived next day. So time will tell if it still leaks I may try steal seal until I can build up the courage to tackle it again.
lazyb5
Tribal Elder

Post by lazyb5 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:40 pm

A week further on and still no low water alarm, hopefully it was a gasket and I cured it. Bingo lives on
lazyb5
Tribal Elder

Post by lazyb5 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:29 pm

Oops forgot the pics :shock:
This with the head off

All back together

And taking the bike out

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam