Headlights

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Ken Pilkington

Headlights

Post by Ken Pilkington » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:09 pm

I want to convert my headlights to LHD specification as I am moving to France and want to get through the French test... Anyone know if there is a headlamp that is fit for this purpose?
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:28 pm

Ken, sorry to bring bad news, but it can't be done. It's been tried before. And in any case, it's not just the lights. Any vehicle with a sliding door must have access to the Pavement side in France.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
white van man

Post by white van man » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:56 pm

i dont know exactly what it involves but an aquainetance was trying to register his bongo in france and you need a manufacturers report which will cover all of the safety points required for france and being registered in another eu country doesnt count for anything!!!it is to protect there market from imports,being as the bongo was never a eu vehicle it seemed impossible to do ,i havent heard from him recently but he was on about bringing it back to uk to sell because he couldnt find a way to register!!!
Veg_Ian

Post by Veg_Ian » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:25 am

Umm I know of people moving to France and Spain and taking their Townaces with them. These also have the same characteristics as the Bongo and they didn't have a problem.
white van man

Post by white van man » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:13 pm

but arent they the same as a space cruiser that was marketed in the eu so would have relevant manufacturing paperwork for eu safety compliance?
Veg_Ian

Post by Veg_Ian » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:48 am

No not the same as a SpaceCruiser. Townace was manufactured for Japanese home market only just like the Bongo. Very few parts interchange with the SpaceCruiser.
bongoecosse

Post by bongoecosse » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:21 pm

Ken,

I can't comment about the import implications for France but I can confirm that it is possible to get your headlights adjusted to pass a Euro headlamp test.

I am currently running a Bongo in Germany with converted 'right-dippers' (that's the headlights, not the passengers....). After an exhaustive search for a set of replacement headlights from another vehicle to no avail I managed to get them modified at a German garage. It is quite a common occurrence I am told. Total cost 50 Euro.

I am not sure how they were modified but they now have a flat central beam that doesn't bend either way. This was suitable for the German light test.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need any more info.

Tim
Kentish Paul
Bongolier

Post by Kentish Paul » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:24 pm

This just illustrates the power and value of the Forum. Someone raises a question about the use of a Bongo in Europe and within days a Bongo user in Germany pops up with the answer.

Wow!
Bongo National Party - The law-abiding should have rights too!
Ken Pilkington

Thanks everyone

Post by Ken Pilkington » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:23 pm

Lots of useful information and it looks like I will have to do more research on the French test....
basquen

Post by basquen » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:03 am

Hi Ken,
Here my reply to a similar enquiry a few months back: link

The 'door on the wrong side' scenario will only apply to the Bongo if it is registered as campervan. It is impossible to register any campervan without a RH side entry door. There are also additional tests to be carried out concerning gas piping, fumes etc if the van is fully kitted out...

The bottom line is that is can be done - all depends on the tenacity of the inspector, your own level of perserverance and the amount of money you are prepared to put into the process.

Return to “Techie Stuff”