Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Caretta
Junior Bongonaut

Tick tock tick tock V6

Post by Caretta » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:43 pm

What ho me little darlings!

I have an odd problem with me bongo

There is a strange ticking noise which comes from the engine compartment, sometimes when idling but mainly when cruising....doesn't seem to happen when putting the hammer down

It has been doing this since we got her in April and there don't seem to be any problems with her - we had her gassed by Avon Autogas (Great guy btw and worth the cost) and when we had the engine compartment open we both noticed the noise....we found it was coming from a small component which looked electrical with some plastic pipework attached (possibly) not part of the main engine but under the passenger seat side of the engine compartment...

When I get a chance I will take a couple of piccies to help the investigation

Any ideas from the definitely more experienced?

Cheers
Rich
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Re: Tick tock tick tock

Post by haydn callow » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:28 pm

Probably the gas injectors
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:32 pm

Sounds like a V6 then, its part of the EGR system and purges petrol vapours etc thru a filter (13-970) to the atmosphere see here http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... o=.html#10
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Caretta
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Caretta » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:19 pm

Sorry peeps - Newbie so not used to posting full details yet - Yes it's a V6 - It's not the injectors as they have been checked and it's deffo coming from this component

The air purge system sounds about right - it's kind of what I had reduced it to already but being a novice I wanted to double check!

I'll have a look when I eventually get a chance between work, children and decorating!

Thanks a ton and Hello btw!
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Re: Tick tock tick tock V6

Post by New Forest Terrier » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:08 pm

EGR system would be my guess. There is a piece of kit on the passenger side called the carbon canister that can make this sound. As far as I know its an ignore noise. Mine ticks occasionally but nothing further ever happens. I run on LPG as well and do not notice any injector noise.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:08 pm

EGR system would be my guess. There is a piece of kit on the passenger side called the carbon canister that can make this sound. As far as I know its an ignore noise. Mine ticks occasionally but nothing further ever happens. I run on LPG as well and do not notice any injector noise.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
Caretta
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Caretta » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:25 pm

Only thing we get from the LPG is the sound of the pump when the engine is running quiet - oh and much cheaper fuel bills :D

I'll oik the top off and have a look to check anyhow

Thanks for the advice :)

Return to “Techie Stuff”