Accurately measuring fuel flow (2 litre petrol injection)

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

GreenBongo
Bongolier

Re: Accurately measuring fuel flow (2 litre petrol injection

Post by GreenBongo » Mon May 05, 2014 9:39 pm

Usually its a reinforced rubber hose, does it not have the pump in the tank?
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon May 05, 2014 9:42 pm

Yep. Just found this that suggests it can run up to 8 bar although 2 is average. This article mentions typical flow rate: http://www.picoauto.com/tutorials/fuel-injection.html
GreenBongo
Bongolier

Post by GreenBongo » Mon May 05, 2014 9:47 pm

Then it has to push the fuel hard enough to pressurise the fuel rail, 3 bar is pretty standard for a Japanese EFI.
GreenBongo
Bongolier

Post by GreenBongo » Mon May 05, 2014 9:52 pm

Simon Jones wrote:Yep. Just found this that suggests it can run up to 8 bar although 2 is average. This article mentions typical flow rate: http://www.picoauto.com/tutorials/fuel-injection.html
That is interesting reading regarding the safety bypass, that would mean that you would need a flowmeter rated at up to 8bar maximum, although the working pressure would be considerably less. The main issue that I can see with that would be the fittings to the meters.
Purple Pixie
Bongolier

Post by Purple Pixie » Mon May 05, 2014 11:26 pm

GreenBongo wrote:how are you estimating the flow rate? If you have diagnostics then you could perform an estimate based on the injector pulse width.
low volume flow gauge, absolute measurement rather than injector pulse width, assuming constant injector rail pressure I guess - how do you work out fuel volume injected, i suppose based on 14.7:1 stochastic ratio you could do some sums? but that would be related to engine speed (rpm) and not allow for any catchup time under load
--

===========================
1999 Ford Freda - "Purple Pixie"
Purple Pixie
Bongolier

Post by Purple Pixie » Mon May 05, 2014 11:45 pm

GreenBongo wrote:
Simon Jones wrote:Yep. Just found this that suggests it can run up to 8 bar although 2 is average. This article mentions typical flow rate: http://www.picoauto.com/tutorials/fuel-injection.html
The article is a generalisation: for an example, the 6R4 ran 2 pumps, one in the tank, a low pressure large volume and another in the front, a low volume high pressure. The unions in the photo don't suggest there will be any problems making connections up with Aeroquip type fuel line and unions.

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/ ... SdtCJw.jpg

No evidence of a pump in the tank suggesting it is en route... I might be wrong
--

Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Tue May 06, 2014 12:59 pm

Purple Pixie wrote:No evidence of a pump in the tank suggesting it is en route... I might be wrong
It is on V6. See cylindrical object top right in my photo here: http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... =0#p624639
GreenBongo
Bongolier

Post by GreenBongo » Tue May 06, 2014 1:07 pm

I can see the pics now. Those don't look like fittings that would be rated to anything like 8-bar, maybe it is just a lift pump.

Have you got access to a fuel pressure tester?
Purple Pixie
Bongolier

Post by Purple Pixie » Tue May 06, 2014 1:08 pm

I've got an oil pressure gauge that I can sacrifice and tee it in....

John
--

Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Tue May 06, 2014 11:14 pm

Look at the V6 schematics and there is no sign of any additional fuel pumps, so it seems there is just the one in the tank. The 2.0 may be different although I suspect the basic setup is much the same.

Engine: http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html

Pipework: http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html

Tank: http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html
Purple Pixie
Bongolier

Post by Purple Pixie » Wed May 07, 2014 7:22 am

http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html

yup looks like a submerged injection pump
--

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed May 07, 2014 9:10 am

Purple Pixie wrote:
Simon Jones wrote:Are you going to take a feed from the speed sensor so you can calculate consumption per mile travelled? If you want to know if you are driving economically rather than an absolute consumption figures then a vacuum gauge on the inlet manifold would be the simplest option.
... vacuum gauge meets with my "Occams Razor" approach to solving technical problems

I am more interested in average consumption over a day or week.........
This all sounds like using an problem prone sledgehammer to crack a nut. Why not just use tank top up to tank top up figures and get out and enjoy driving the beast. Or am I missing something? :lol: :lol: :lol:
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed May 07, 2014 10:12 am

Hi Mike...
Err...it's fun....LOADS of gauges to watch...so far I have 12, and another 4 planned...plus 2 screens ...one reverse, and one forward!....did I mention switches???.... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed May 07, 2014 10:42 am

helen&tony wrote:Hi Mike...
Err...it's fun....LOADS of gauges to watch...so far I have 12, and another 4 planned...plus 2 screens ...one reverse, and one forward!....did I mention switches???.... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
I know, just being mischievous and giving peeps a reality check. My weakness is/was spending loads of time on mods for camping whilst only ever getting out occasionally to camp. Still that's the beauty of the Bongo: camping is only one of the many pleasures you can enjoy with it. Others include fitting complex fuel flow monitoring systems etc. ha ha.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed May 07, 2014 11:04 am

Hi Mike...
You and Us the same there...still have to get out camping...haven't been for a couple of years....currently busy having just fitted front and rear dog guards, having had them cut and welded...finished the leather re-trim...nearly finished the door cards....stripped and cleaned the roof ready for a repaint, and the solar panel I bought off Dodgey to fit, along with some club-shop roof rails, and a spoiler to paint and fit!....just fitted the summer wheels, re-wired my flow meter (keeping in the thread here)...more wiring to do....just fitted a super-duper alarm system, and up-dating the rear-view with a 2-camera system...one for running, one for reversing....Oh...and fitting a second water/ methanol tank.....IF I get time, I have some thoughts on another "go-faster" system on the cards...MIGHT move house in the meantime, AND the Jeep needs a little customising!.....time for camping?????
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.

Return to “Techie Stuff”