Removing roof motors

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Oldboybob
Bongolier

Removing roof motors

Post by Oldboybob » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:06 pm

Hi all my bongo has recently had trouble getting the roof to raise, it has gradually gotten slower and slower to the point of hardly raising at all. I am going to attempt to service the motors myself (unless anyone has any other suggestions?) and if I can't then I will have to source some new units. Has anybody removed the motors? and if so how did they do it? All replies greatly appreciated.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: Removing roof motors

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:18 pm

Oldboybob
Bongolier

Post by Oldboybob » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:25 pm

Yes thanks I read that post detailing the servicing of the motors and it is what I will follow. What I need to know is how to get the motors out if anyone can help with that? :D
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:08 am

I'm in the same boat. When the weather improves a bit I'm going to remove mine to service them. When I do I'll document it. Like most things, it's probably intuitive once you start the job. I gather there are plastic covers that pop off? then the bolts should reveal themselves...
http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk Solar panel solutions for campervans
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:21 pm

After lifting the roof the motors are covered by black plastic covers, these are removed by squeezing the sides, one set of clips at top/bottom (or front/back depending on which way up you are when doing this!). The allen key bolts are then visible, 1 connector per motor to disconnect and 1 earth strap around one of the bolts.

I know I've probably repeated information written elsewhere but this is the first technical question I've been able to answer, rather than ask, on here!
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:33 pm

Thanks Roo! :-)
Oldboybob
Bongolier

Post by Oldboybob » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:17 pm

Cheers Roo so if my roof is raised and I remove a motor do I just prop it up or something?
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:17 pm

Propping the roof would certainly be a good idea but I don't think it is essential, as the gas-struts and slider arms hold it up on their own.
cookan
Bongolier

Post by cookan » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:36 pm

So you can literaly unbolt those motors in a matter of minutes and remove them without the whole worm thing falling out ir getting out of sync ? I looked at the schematic of the roof once as I fancied cleaning the motors but decided to give it a miss as I thought there'd be pillows, worm drives, you name it to fall off...
If they simple unbolt I've got a job for the weekend !

Ant
1995 M reg 2WD AFT in green/grey (and an Oakley Thermonuclear Protection decal for some reason!)
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:48 pm

I've never had any issues. The bolts are well protected under there as well, so you shouldn't even get that issue! If you have new motors to go on, the longest part of the job will be waiting for the roof to raise up!

It can't get out of sync with the worm drive as the motors get their switch on and off from microswitches on the runners, irrespective of where the worm drive is.
cookan
Bongolier

Post by cookan » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:02 pm

great...hope the rain stays off !

Is it possible to put the motors back on resulting in a crooked roof btw ? or does it naturally self level...the thread that talks through the motor removal suggests removing them to fix a wonky roof so I assume it doesn't self level and therefore there's a risk that if one side drops a little when I remove that motor and the other side doesn't drop the same amount when I remove that side..that it ends up wonky..(not helped by my less than perfect driveway...which helps with changing the oil but not when trying to do anything that requires a spirit level !)

thanks,
Ant.
1995 M reg 2WD AFT in green/grey (and an Oakley Thermonuclear Protection decal for some reason!)
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Thu May 01, 2014 12:29 pm

Every time I've had my motors off, it has been rock solid, so I don't know the answer for sure. Even when I had to do some brutal emergency repairs, pulling the runners off, the gas struts kept it level. However I know its been discussed that the gas struts fail. Best safe and sound propping it open evenly!
Oldboybob
Bongolier

Post by Oldboybob » Thu May 01, 2014 5:42 pm

roosmith wrote:Every time I've had my motors off, it has been rock solid, so I don't know the answer for sure. Even when I had to do some brutal emergency repairs, pulling the runners off, the gas struts kept it level. However I know its been discussed that the gas struts fail. Best safe and sound propping it open evenly!
Cheers Roo will give it a go as soon as I can =D>
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Fri May 16, 2014 5:25 pm

So I'm going to remove mine and clean them up as my roof is a bit sluggish. 1st off, I'm amazed how small the motors are!

2nd - see below. Do you undo the two gold coloured screws and remove the motor that way? or do you remove the three dark grey screws and remove the whole assembly ? (can't imagine you do).

I want to be sure so nothing pings off. I'm assuming if I undo the two gold screws the motor will drop down and there will be a worm screw on the other side that mates with the roof mechanism? I'd like to be sure as I'm not mad on tinkering with things that are not broke unless I'm sure I knwo what I'm doing.

tallbongo
Bongolier

Post by tallbongo » Sat May 17, 2014 2:52 pm

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... =3&t=63021

It'll be the three gold cross headed screws there. It looks like they've already been off. Also, on mine they were 4mm allen bolts which I think it what they should be. IIRC correctly there was is a rescue kit of a 4mm allen key and a bit of string for the bargain price of £10! :shock:
95 N Reg 4WD Manual AFT Bongo

Image Image

Return to “Techie Stuff”