Rewording leisure battery devices

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Brassbullethead
Apprentice Bongonaut

Rewording leisure battery devices

Post by Brassbullethead » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:20 pm

Hi guys,

I have just bought my first Bongo and it has a leisure battery fitted.

The problem is, however, that many of the devices that I would like to run off it seem only to be connected to the main battery.

I have never even heard of a leisure battery before now, so please forgive my ignorance.

Do you have to manually switch between batteries, is it done automatically or are the devices hard wired?

Also, if they are hard wired and I need to move some devices across, is it best just to go to a Bongo professional and pay to get it done or is there an easy way to do it?

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers
Gasy
Supreme Being

Re: Rewording leisure battery devices

Post by Gasy » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:49 pm

Are you sure it's a leisure battery
As some bongos from northern japan have 2 battery's to help starting in the cold
What's is on the main battery that you want to swop over
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
philpdr
Tribal Elder

Post by philpdr » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:59 pm

If you put your location in your profile I'm sure someone local will give it the once over for you.I'd be happy to if you're anywhere near me.
Brassbullethead
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Brassbullethead » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:41 pm

Thanks for the replies

The battery has 'leisure battery' written on it.

At the moment, the only thing that I can work out that is powered by the leisure battery is the motor for the tap on the sink.

I would like the blinds, windows and stereo on it

Thanks - I am based in Swansea, by the way and gave updated my profile
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Post by wonkanoby » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:20 am

Willinton Intelligent Split Charging Wiring Loom

search on here as every one recommends it
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:48 am

wonkanoby wrote:Willinton Intelligent Split Charging Wiring Loom

search on here as every one recommends it
Agreed, but sadly no longer made.

Derek
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:18 am

You will have to check wiring then

Here's is some info about it from Francophile on here
(I been meaning to do this to mine for a while)
Always an answer on here cheers francophile

Blinds in my Bongo work without the key. Mine is a 99 - I wonder if it's a year thing?

No. yours was probably rewired if you have a conversion or Willinton kit.

Below are some simple instructions on how to rewire the fusebox to get things to work off the leisure battery:-
Look at the fuse board by the drivers right knee.
Remove the fixing screws and wiggle it forwards so that the rear is visible.

Counting from top left to right the numbering goes 1 to 8.

Fuses 1 to 5 are fed by a thick white/red from fuse BTN under the bonnet, which is always live.
(the fuse, silly, not the bonnet!)

Fuses 6,7,8 are fed only when the ignition is on via the thick red/black wire.
6&7 are curtains L&R, 8 is cigarlighter & mirrors.

1] If you do not have a secondary battery:

You can either select just the cigarlighter/mirrors or probably easier and handier select those and the curtains so that you can operate them without the ignition on.

Cut the thick red/black wire going in a couple of inches from the rear of the fuseholder for 6,7,8. Insulate the end that comes out of the loom.
Use a short length of similarly sized wire to extend the end going into 6,7,8 and tap it into the thick white/red that feeds fuses 1-5.

If you want to select just fuse 8 for the cigarlighter/mirrors then you would have to identify the blue wire coming out of fuse 8, cut that and insulate the end coming out of the fuse 8. The blue wire going into the loom would then need an in-line 15A fuse fitting and then tapping onto the aforementioned thick white/red that feeds fuses 1-5.

2] If you have a secondary battery you may wish to feed things from that rather than from the engine battery.

The instructions above are modified only by disregarding tapping anything into the aforementioned thick white/red that feeds fuses 1-5.
Instead you would need to connect it/them into an appropriately fused wire connected to the secondary battery.

While you are at it you could also feed all the internal vehicle lighting from that source as well.
To do so, cut the blue/red wire coming out of fuse 1 and insulate the end coming out of the fuse. Fit an appropriate 10A inline fuseholder to the end disappearing into the loom and connect it to the secondary battery.
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:52 pm

Just push/pull the blinds manually when you need to
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
Brassbullethead
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Brassbullethead » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:14 pm

Thanks for all your responses
camperman160
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by camperman160 » Fri May 23, 2014 12:11 pm

Hi
If you still haven't sorted this problem out, I have Willington kit fitted and work in Llansamlet. You are most welcome to have a look on any work day, just let me know so I can bring Nongo in on the day. Also still have Willington instructions which may help.
Regards

Dave
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Fri May 23, 2014 1:44 pm

There is an alternative to the Willington kit available - I can't link it as I make/sell it :-)
http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk Solar panel solutions for campervans
bongo frenzee
Bongolier

Post by bongo frenzee » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:08 pm

Hi, sorry for resurrecting an old thread but it seems to *almost* answer my question...

Am I right in thinking that to wire the blinds to the leisure battery, you just have to run a wire from the LB to fuses 6&7? Should this mean that the switches in both the front and rear will then operate the blinds without the ignition on?

I've had mine rewired and (up until a a few months ago), the front switches operated the blinds with the ignition off, but the rear ones only worked with the ignition on. I was told that it's a big rewiring job to have the rear switches working off the LB as well - so does anyone know an easy way to do this?

And as mentioned above, a few months ago the front switches stopped working altogether - neither with the ignition on or off. The rear switches still work with the ignition on, and I've checked the fuses which are fine. Any ideas what has caused the front switches to fail?

Thanks.
Living for the weekends...

CUIDADO! VEICULO BONGO!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:13 pm

Yes in principle, what you do is provide two extra fuse socket off of the LB and then run these to the existing fuse panel, move the existing fuses to the new panel, and plug the wires into the lower of the two sockets that hold each fuse on the old panel. That way you don't have to play with the existing wiring and you have now provided the power unswitched directly from the LB so no keys needed in the Ignition. Its actually the normal to provide 4 new fuse sockets and replace 4 fuses in the old panel;
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
DanBongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by DanBongo » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:21 pm

All the above information is great and exactly what I would like to do in my new bongo, Im however confused with which type of connector to use in the fusebox? and which part of the fusebox to connect to, a lot of pictures seem to show the wire coming out of the bottom of the fuse but no connector?

Any help would be great.

Dan
Dan,
99 V6!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:07 am

Yes you go into the lower of the fuse connections, which is the fused circuit being supplied, the upper connector goes to the power either direct or via the Ignition switch. The connector can be either a forked with one half of the fork cut off or folded over provided its not too thick, you can get single pin connectors as well if you look around https://cpc.farnell.com/multicomp/dbve1 ... dp/CN02341
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”